looking for a stereo imaging / panning plugin

of the very advanced variety

does anybody know if such a plugin exists that will not only pan a track left/right, but do it in a psychoacoustic way? many of you might know how a sound coming from your left is not only louder in your left ear, but arrives there first. furthermore, the time difference is less if the sound originated further away. combined with advanced reverb (along the lines of Waves TrueVerb) and you could really freak out the listener if they have headphones on.

basically im trying to get the effects of the binaural miking technique (omni mics on the sides of a dummy head) out of a mono track. and automation of the location parameter would be great. of course with this comes the doppler effect, but that’s just going overboard :wink:

the idea for this came from one time when i was recording an ORTF stereo pair, and between songs while it was still recording someone with loud shoes walked by. upon playing it back in my headphones, i could swear there was someone behind me! that would be extremely difficult to replicate with a mono track of footstep effects, unless this plugin exists.

Quote (yeahforbes @ Jan. 16 2006,00:50)
does anybody know if such a plugin exists that will not only pan a track left/right, but do it in a psychoacoustic way? many of you might know how a sound coming from your left is not only louder in your left ear, but arrives there first. furthermore, the time difference is less if the sound originated further away. combined with advanced reverb (along the lines of Waves TrueVerb) and you could really freak out the listener if they have headphones on.

basically im trying to get the effects of the binaural miking technique (omni mics on the sides of a dummy head) out of a mono track. and automation of the location parameter would be great. of course with this comes the doppler effect, but that's just going overboard ;-)

the idea for this came from one time when i was recording an ORTF stereo pair, and between songs while it was still recording someone with loud shoes walked by. upon playing it back in my headphones, i could swear there was someone behind me! that would be extremely difficult to replicate with a mono track of footstep effects, unless this plugin exists.

I use Voxengo stereotouch for this.

MDA Stereo
MDA Image

I use a combination of these two VST plug-ins. Make sure you set mono tracks to play as stereo.

thanks i’ll check them out