Looking for advise..

Found the link…

Hi All:
After scouring my links I found the one, that I’ve been looking for, that has this A-D and D-A converter set-up… Does anyone here have any personal expirence to share with this stuff?

http://www.tracertek.com/esp1010.htm

The analogue specs seem to look O.K. but before I write some mail off to this company, I am interested in your comments on this stuff…

Bill…

Is very similar to C-Port from hoontech. About this one i only heard good comments. Can be an option to the ESP1010 thing.

Hi marce:
I have a DSP 2000/c-Port in the studio… And, being a remake of it hadn’t occured to me. You’re right… I didn’t think the DSP 2000/c-Port had audio/analogue specs as good as this esp1010…

Bill…

I actually bought my CPort from tracertek, no issues there. ESI bought out STAudio a while back and this ESP1010 looks like an amalgam of the CPort and the Media7.1 cards. If you already own a CPort your probably already aware of the major issues with that device (doesn’t like VIA chipsets, weak preamps and lack of support for these older units). I was going to comment on the lack of driver updates as well but from a quick look at the STA forum there appears to finally be a new driver, although it is only available on third party sites (WTF?), and yet another company has acquired this line (not sure if that includes newer ESI products). You may want to investigate this soap opera some more before you consider the ESI unit.

Hi Earache:
Thanks for your reply… I thought there was a Driver Update on that hardware… It seems to me that when I went to the main page, I couldn’t find Drivers that were any later then the ones I have… I know, there were a few of the Board Members that have Hoontech cards… The sta 2000 setup I have is connected to the Group outputs of my 24-8-to-16-2 mixer… However the analogue electronics of the hardware doesn’t seem to be able to handle the dynamic range that I expected the unit to handle… I found the drivers/software to be really stable for the way/set-up I use it for, though. That was the software I got with it, right out of the box…

It took me a while to fathom out the virtual patchbay of the software for the way I have it patched to the console, I have… I have it working with an ASUS/Intel P-111 800mhz cpu 521 meg ram… '98SE DAW… The PCI Card that came with it, is top notch, In my opinion…

Mabey, you could post the Third-Party link to the drivers… I don’t think I have it…

Bill…

This is a link to the forum post I found which contains a direct link to the driver download.

http://qa.staudio.de/show.as…sg=1823

I believe the driver is also available at www.pcmus.com, which is a good site to bookmark for any DSP2000 owner. The site hosts an uninstall utility that does a better job of uninstalling old drivers than the product uninstall.

I had a lot of problems initially with the CPort on my old machine (Duron with VIA chipset), but it’s been rock solid since I put together the new machine. Enough so that I am wary of upgrading to the new drivers (if it ain’t broke)…

<!–QuoteBegin>

…the analogue electronics of the hardware doesn’t seem to be able to handle the dynamic range that I expected the unit to handle.

If your referring to the pretty much totally useless preamps I’ll agree there. I couldn’t get a decent signal with any mic without pushing the gain to 8 or 9 on the dial, well into the way too much noise range.