Looking for advise..

Unable to Boot my DAW…

Hi Guys:
I am in the studio rebuilding the DESKS of this P-4 Dual Boot DAW…

Every think is going fine… except this morning I had to do a Re-Boot on an installation of some software…

Upon attempting the re-boot, I am unable to complete the the “POST-UP”. It Hangs… at Checking the RAM…

What could be the problem ?? How do I diagnose the POST-UP issue I have… Is it a BIG TO-DO?

Bill…

Dunno Bill, but my first port of call would be to reset the bios.

IIRC, the number of beeps at bootup determines the problem. Some motherboards have a led display on them with an error code too but that’s pretty rare.

Willy.

Sounds like more of a hardware problem than a software problem if you aren’t even getting to the RAM check.

Did you do any hardware changes?

What Willy said also.

Gentlemen:
I jumped way too fast… I think this equipment is testing my resolve. It’s a quite a proceedure to remove these DAWs from the set-up positions… However, after removing this P-4 from it’s pearch to begin a checkout, I find it’s booting just fine… shaking head… Big Time

However… could this be a indication of something that is Just Down the Road? or Just around the corner? :O ???

I’m reinstalling this machine… It’s the next thing to do… Do you think?

Bill…

I’m soooo… frightened and protective of this machine… These days… I don’t have it re-installed/in-place just yet… My first thoughts is… Mabey the power supply is trying to say something?? Well?? But the power supply is the same “Load” in place… or not… I haven’t noticed any Heat issues sense the Dual Boot install… ?? Most of the drivers are installed and in place on the dual boot partitions/drives… A few more left to go… But… After all of my Wooooos… and all… It’s takeing shape… So-Far-So-Good…

My toes are acheing from being crossed… MmAaNn…
Bill…

Bill,

It might be a poorly seated PCI/AGP card. Or poorly seated RAM. Just (carefully) remove them from their respective slots and put them back.

Did you get any beeps or errors when booting?

Perhaps the CPU fan is a bit slow and maybe even stopped.

Or it could be overheating. If you’d just applied an update you might have been working the PC hard, and in an enclosed space, with poor ventilation perhaps, you may have caused it to overheat. To check this, put it back in situ, and boot into the BIOS screen. Usually in there somewhere is a display of the CPU temperature. Leave it for a while and see what it goes up to. Many motherboards have and “alarm” temperature, or even a “shutdown” temperature. Check what these are set to too.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m reinstalling this machine… It’s the next thing to do… Do you think?

Nooo. Not if it was only getting to the BIOS. Rebuilding windows will not help. If, however, windows was starting to boot and then it restarted then you might have a point.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mark

since you get to the RAM check i believe your bios and power supplies should be ok. they have passed post testing. since you hang at RAM check and then booted ok after moving your unit around, i would suspect maybe a loose RAM module. they are fairly easy to re-seat.
you can always go here for more info: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
hope it all works out. :)

Hi Mark:
I’m writting this reply from the '98SE Drive/Partitiom in the Studio. I had a good visual inspection of the machine while I had it removed from it’s position… It booted just fine in both partitions. The side panels are back in place and the box is reinstalled, and, in place.

A stady hand… and… steady as it goes… ???

However, I’ll go into the BIOS and check to see how the ambient temperatures report there… stability over time… I’ve never done that before… But however, it wouldn’t be under command/instruction/use… But, in any event it will be nice to know…

The Lexicon drivers got installed the other day, into the '98SE desk… They appear to work just fine… so far… The CORE 23 and the ASIO for all the A-to-D’s and the D-toA’s apperar to answer to the LexPanel commands and appear to work… That’s what I was in the process of doing today when when ALL… Let go… I was going to re-call one of the McIvorcorK project songs into the Time-Line and confirm/recall the system’s behaviour/performance, and all…

Well… another day… ???

Bill…

Hi g8torcliff:
I had to get out of the studio… I went through all checks that I could think of … booted from both boot drives… and did “Normal” requests from both partitions and all… I went back to the '98SE desk and attempted a shut down… However, the 98SE desk would not shut down, normally… Yep… you’re right… Not All is Well… I did a Soft boot to the 98SE desk and I couldn’t make the POST-UP BOOT go past the “Check Ram” line… I’m thinking… ALL needs to come out again…

I think I’ll Re-Seat all of the RAM PCI and AGP and IDE connections, and all… ??? :O :(

My resolve… is not resolved… ??? * Sigh… Deep Breath*… and ALL…

Bill…

POST will check RAM before anything else…so RAM would be the first on my check list. i think next is the keyboard then the HD…the other stuff (PCI’s etc.) will cause errors after launching the OS. so if you CAN’T get past the RAM check…go figure…
i dont want to sound like a know it all, but i have MS A+ cert., and have taken apart and reassembled dozens of PC’s though i dont use this sort of knowledge for much more than a necessity in the 21st century. I have received a bunch of help in this forum on things you guys probably consider pretty mundane… i would like to be able to return the favor…

cliff :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

However, after removing this P-4 from it’s pearch to begin a checkout, I find it’s booting just fine…

Soemtime you have to scare them…

Hi Guys:
Thanks for your Replies, Help and Encouragement, and all, on this matter… After 9 hours of combat on this thing, I think I’ve found the issue… I’ve had the BOX in-and-out of it’s pearch 6-7 times. It turns out I have several USB removable hand-held Drives… I use them to transport wave files around from studio-to-studio… Amongest them, is a LEXAR media 128meg. Jumpdrive. I connect it to the BOX through a Sandisk USB Multi Port Terminal Block. Now, all of this works just fine on the XP Desk… But it’s another matter through the '98SE Desk. I’ve tried all the combinations of pluging-andunpluging this Lexar jumpdrive with the two desks… Only the '98 SEdesk gives this issue with this Jumpdrive. and Only on shutting Down or closeing the '98SE desk…It locks up on shut-down and doesn’t allow the desk to re-boot from a "Cold-or-Soft Re-start… ??? :O

So… It’s easy… I just have to remember to remove this Lexar jumpdrive when booting to '98SE partition. The drive doesn’t need a driver for the XP desk… But, it needs a driver for the '98SE dask… It looks like mabey, a Driver BUG? Or… in the set-up I have?? I call it a “Work-Around”…

Bill…

Hey Bill,

I have one of those Jumpdrives. WinXP has a built-in driver as does W2K. Alas, Win98 requires you download and install a Win98 driver for the Jumpdrive to operate.

TG

Hi TG:
It’s a beautiful Portable Drive. It was the first USB Drive I had… It worked like a charm on the P-111 '98SE desk, for all the while I had that desk… I have a Sandisk Cruser, 256 portable as well… It works on the XP desks just great… but NO-Go on the '998SE desk… I checked for drivers for '98se… but I am unable to find any, no matter where I’ve looked… Got a link for me? Anyway, the Lexar 128 drive has drivers for '98SE… I have them installed… They show up on the Device Manager. in the the Software List… On the USB devices and just about everywhere, they’re showing up… It works on the '98SE desk… but now and of late it wouldn’t allow me to power down. on that desk… My mind is a pile of Jelly now… The flavor is Grape… :O I have to sleep on this… Mabey, it’ll all become clear, in the morning…

Do you think, if, I write Lexar some mail on this issue… if, I’ll get a reply?

Bill…

i let my wife (agressive clicker user) read through this thread…now she’s a “grape jelly head” too. i guess we all have our moments :D

Why can’t I let “Well Enough” alone… :p ??? :laugh:

I try my best to keep from saying something “Smart” To a reply… Tell your wife… I didn’t mean it… But I ain’t sorry… ??? :cool:

At Long-Last… I’m in the studio adding tracks to a time-line… I’ve been wanting to do this all summer…

Bill…

Sandisk Cruzer 98SE drivers HERE. I dunno about Lexar Bill. You try to write 'em I suppose. I have never tried shutting down or restarting my old 98 box with the Jumpdrive plugged up. It stays in my pocket most of the time…

TG

Heya Bill,

Try lexar’s site here for drivers.

http://www.lexarmedia.com/drivers/index.html#jumpdrive

Hope you get it all worked out. Glad to hear you’re laying down tracks though!

This is really weird… It has only started to do this on this P-4 Dual-Boot machine… When I had the P-111 '98SE I never had this issue…

Believe me… I’m not fishing for issues… I’d perfer to go in a straight line… But sense the Dual Boot machine got me. I have the Hook-Lines-and-Sinkers…

I’m in the studio today trying to wrap my head around a 19 track song… with build 1516 on the '98SE desk… and the CORE-32 lexicon Audio Hardware…

Bill…