Looking for ear buds..

Are they called Sony’s ???

Someone up here brought up the topic of monitoring, way back when…
I think it was Yaz posted the thread…
Is the ear buds Sony ????
And, are they bought through Amazon ????

I seem to remember the thread/topic vaguely…
The buds were some $5.00 USD plus shipping…
or something…

I have some AKGs
and Audio Technicia < spelling… phones now, but these ear buds may be another choice…

Bill…

Oh…you said “ear buds”…dunno anything about those. ???

if you’re serious about in-ear monitoring. I bought the Shure E2c’s.

Best buy I’ve made for live and laptop use.

Shure in-ears on Ebay

I don’t know if these are the ones that were referred to but in any case I’d like to share something with you.

A while back my V-Moda Bass ear buds, one of the buds suddenly wasn’t putting out like it should. On top of that, it made mixing with them difficult because it was laking some high end and seem to also lak mid range bass but the low end bass was there. Nevertheless, when I began mixing through the studio monitors, I had to completely redo the works because of the ear buds ended up real crappy, they just didn’t cut it for mixing.

To get to my point, I decided to get some new buds, I really was at a loss because there were so many to choose from and I really didn’t want to spend a lot of money but needed something I could mix with. So I took a shot in the dark and bought a set of Sony Buds, there called the Sony MDR-XB20EX bass ear buds, they have a thick cord for ear buds, which is good for studio work. Now these really surprised me, I mixed nearly my entire 3rd album with them and they were so close to the final mix. The final mixing through the monitors was done with only a few tweaks, generally, at little more highs but nothing like what the V-Moda’s did to me. These are the best ear buds to date I’ve used for monitoring at mid level volumes, but thats just my opinion. They cost $40.00 CDN which was $30.00 less than the V-Moda Bass ones.

Thought I’d share this with you.

PACO

This topic comes around every now and then…

I remember going into studios and always taking my own pair of phones…
Nobody likes to share phones especially when you may not know who’s had them on last…
Anyway, I suggest to guys when they do a track session, to bring their own phones… Which they do…
But for those guys that always bring a set that is not working correctly, they need something…
Anyway, I’d like to have a few sets of whatever, around…

I have my own sets around…
The KM-240’s and KM-140’s…
but they don’t go on any other heads… When you get them back one-or-both sides don’t work…

Anyway, some guys always complains about what he hears when playing to tracks…

Then, you go into some sessions and you complain, that’s when they point you to the door… tell you it’s your turn to get the coffee…
all of a sudden…
you learn…
:laugh:

Some of these big live stages…
the guys wear these wireless buds…
and wireless instrument transmitters and all…
Well, that’s a little rich…
but…
it would be nice to have… in the studio enviroment…
EH.
????

Bill…

sorry
Shure
but EV makes em as well…

[EDIT]
I like those EV ^ Buds Poppa Willis…
I’ll bet they sound pretty nice…

[EDIT 2] There are a few to choose from… I see… Are your’s the $99.00 ones ????

I thought ear buds where a cheep thrill but after hearing pop’s and you talk about them I went to my old soundblaster package and tried those that came with the soundcard.
Awsome!
There good for guys like me who like big hats!
The sound is solid, lows and highs.
:agree:

a regular on the band-in-a-box forum is an engineer for a firm that makes ‘in-the-ear monitors’ that are supposed to be phenomenal. they sell to the ‘pro’ market so they have a hefty price tag. i’ll see if i can get a link then post back here.

Hi Don:

If you can find/locate that link I’d look pretty hard at it…
I was down at a friends place the other night… He had some buds he was showing off… I should have paid more attention to them…
He says he uses them on the stage when he plays…

Now, there’s a guy with loads of toys in his studio…
:)
:p

Bill…

http://www.westone.com/content/68.html

here is the link bill.

Hi Don:
I tried to log into the page…
However, it seems as though you need to be a dealer, or retailer, or something… to browse all the pages…
The first few pages describe the buds perfectly… They look pretty nice, in my opinion…
The specs say they’ll reproduce some 107 db of energy… That’s bone chilling…
The impedance of them are 30 ohms…
The standard impedance is 32 ohms…
So the lower impedance will load your monitor amp just-a-bit more… hence, a little more level from the monitor amp…

I presume, the bottom line is, they are not big on dealing one-on-one with the consumer market.

Bill…

http://www.westone.com/hearing…rs.html

bill try this page.

AaHh:

Great…
The page opened…
The Three way pair for 379.00 looks like the the nicest monitors of the lot…
I’ve bookmarked that page…
I seen a couple of local stages using Electro Voice buds… They have a belt pack but they are not wireless… At least the setup I’ve seen…

The Westone sets don’t appear to have any detail regarding what type of amplification they require…
It seems as though they assume you already have amplification in place…

These are really nice…

Bill…

Hi Gents:

I called my friend down the street about the buds he uses in his room…
Here’s the link he gave me…

Sony Ear Buds…

He just ordered another pair…
He uses them on the stage he playes on…
It’s a trio stage…

They sounded pretty good… However, it’s not what you use…
as much as it’s what you get used to using…
I think…

Landed here, in these parts including exchange and shipping and all…
Is about $25.00 CDN… for the pair…

Bill…

I prefer the sound isolating type myself. Eliminating 30 - 40 db of outside noise is a plus when you have a good monitor mix, and running direct.

Hi Poppa Willis:

Thanks for the reply…
I almost placed an order for two pair… However, I may still put an order in for them…
I know you have
or,
I think you use Sony Buds…
I just didn’t pay attention to what model(s) you use…

I have plenty of cheep phones laying around…
However, I think it’s nice for everyone who may be in on a session to hear the same image for the sake of consistencies sake…
well…

either tracking-or-mixing…

I’ve been putting in a few hours out there…
but…
not like I did through the summer break…

I’m ready to wire the patch bays… I have two strips ready to work on… However, I have little time to get in there and get busy…

Our summer is all but fading…
We have frost on the roofs and car windows now…
sigh…

You’d think we lived in the arctic…
or…
something…

Bill…

I use the Shure SCL2’s wox. They’ve been replaced by the SE 110’s Here’s their entire line.

Ebay still has some good ones here.

Quote:

We have frost on the roofs and car windows now.. sigh........ You'd think we lived in the arctic... or... something..

Blame it on "global warming" and Al Gore... :p

Seriously Bill, what do you want them for? Just casual listening with an iPod? In-ear monitoring on stage? A thirteen year-olds "mix reference?

That'll tell us a little more info to better make recommendations. The ones Poppa linked to sound awesome. A bud of mine has those. The majority of MY "bud" use is monitoring on stage. With the way things err... disappear around here, I'm not willing to spend in excess of a hundred bucks for buds. I use a $25 set of Koss cheepies from ye' olden Wal-Mart. I have a set of Sennhesier HD280's cans that I use for "quiet" DAW work at home. I make mp3's of my mixes, load 'em on the iPod and check 'em out through the Koss buds too.

D

I knew it was the Shure Buds that you were into…
I don’t know what made me say, Sony
??? ?

What I really need is some wire to get those patch bays tied together…

The CBC over here used green wire that they nicknamed Boston Green…
They used it for just about any application when it came to audio runs…
When they pulled it off the spool, they only used it once…
My brother used to bring it home for me when he worked there…

A run would be connected then the ends would be cut off the wire and the dumpster would get the wire…
It was two conductor stranded wire with a stranded common wire that was foil wrapped then in a green plastic sleeve…
Beautiful stuff…
Something like you see in the photo blog…
The purple stuff…
only green…
It comes in 1000 ft. spools…
One would be a good start…

Bill…