Looking To Purchase N Track - N Track vs Floops

Hi,

Looking to purchase software now to do digital recording for our band but Im wondering - what makes N Track better as a program than something such as Fruity Loops which I hear is good - it seems Fruity Loops has more plug ins and stuff with it than N Track but Im not sure…

I love this program just unsure what… is… best way to go…

Rick

Which is better, a hammer or a screwdriver?

Depends if you want to hammer in screws or not I 'spose! :D

Different tools for different jobs Rick.

learn and use FLoops and n-track.

And Ableton and Jammer Pro.

And Melodyne and Soundforge 8.

That way, when you wanna open a can of paint, you’ve got the exact right screwdriver to do it. :)

Ali

EDIT: Ok, a wee bitty more detail. :)

If you’re like the rest of us, you’re doing at least 6 different jobs:

Composer, performer, recording engineer, mixing engineer, mastering engineer, producer.

If all you’re doing is recording and mixing, then n-track is as good as anything.

Performer? Well, that’s between you and your axe. :D

But, composer and producer, you’ll possibly want those other apps.

And for mastering, many here use Wavelab or SoundForge, (plus Ozone or a similar suite) although you can do it perfectly well in n-track or FLoops too.

Floops == excellent for composing with loops. (Hence the name! :) )
n-Track == excellent all around multi-track recording DAW software. Think Italian Swiss Army Knife…

Tank said it best… Different tools for different jobs. The new Floops has audio recording functionality built-in but from what I hear it’s a little dodgy for multi-track audio recording. Stick to FLoops and the like for composing with loops and such and n-Track will complement FLoops nicely for your straight-up audio work.

TG

Quote (Sceptic Tank @ July 18 2005,23:08)
Which is better, a hammer or a screwdriver?

Classic! :D

HA, funny someone deciding over FL and Ntracks. They are for completely different things.

And as for FL having more plug ins… not true. I have currently 13 amp simultors, 7 analogue simulators, 6 dessers, 6 exciters, 8 gates, 47 limiters and compressors (!!!), 14 overdrive and distortion plug ins, plus more, currently showing up in the Plug Ins window of Ntracks. The 47 limiters and compressors alone are more then what FL has. Coming with plug ins doesn’t mean it has more plug ins. You add them to NtrackS, same as you can if you use FL. You can add a lot of the FL plugs to Ntracks :laugh:

Being that, I personally do beats in FL using samples, although Ive got a drum controller now and will soon start doing midi drums now with a sampler in logic then render down the individual drum tracks to .wav and put in Ntracks and record everything else and mix everything on Ntracks.

Hmm, I guess what I wrote makes sense.

Quote (Dyers @ July 18 2005,23:58)
I have currently 13 amp simultors, 7 analogue simulators, 6 dessers, 6 exciters, 8 gates, 47 limiters and compressors (!!!), 14 overdrive and distortion plug ins, plus more, currently showing up in the Plug Ins window of Ntracks.

Holy Cow!

I'd like a good amp sim, been thinking about the POD, but I'd rather not spend the cash. Any suggestions? Genre is metal, if you find that relevant.

Thanks.
Quote (sweet @ July 19 2005,00:01)
Quote (Dyers @ July 18 2005,23:58)
I have currently 13 amp simultors, 7 analogue simulators, 6 dessers, 6 exciters, 8 gates, 47 limiters and compressors (!!!), 14 overdrive and distortion plug ins, plus more, currently showing up in the Plug Ins window of Ntracks.

Holy Cow!

I'd like a good amp sim, been thinking about the POD, but I'd rather not spend the cash. Any suggestions? Genre is metal, if you find that relevant.

Thanks.

Yeah I got a lot of toys in my toy box. Most amp sim plug ins suck though, so I only use them sometimes. And those aren't all my plug ins.. after I counted all the compressors and limiters I gave up counting the rest of what I got!

The pod has the same engine as a Flextone III? If it does, then I'd say pretty good. I dont use a POD but I have a Flextone III and think it is awesome. And I do metal, pop rock, punk, and more. Has a nice sounding Celestion Speaker on the inside and a fudge load of different sounds you can get. The floor board is #### expensive but if you are just recording you don't need to be switching between sounds (I dont have a Floorboard for it). Also you can edit your tones and save them using Line 6 software on you computer! Wicked sweet.

Thanks Dyers, I’m almost sold :D Now I just have to sell my wife on the idea. DOH!!

Tell her the tones add to your moral and increases your stamina in bed… or u could buy her flowers with a card that says “I love Line 6 You” with Line 6 scribbled out but not enough that u cant understand what was written there

Sweet, I now swear by Ni Guitar Rig; it’s the biz! :D

It adds not to my morality :(, nor stamina.

But, whack Waves Ren. reverb, Ozone comp. and EQ on the end of it, and you have a sound to die for! :D

Quote (rickpress @ July 18 2005,23:03)
Hi,

Looking to purchase software now to do digital recording for our band but Im wondering - what makes N Track better as a program than something such as Fruity Loops which I hear is good - it seems Fruity Loops has more plug ins and stuff with it than N Track but Im not sure…

I love this program just unsure what… is… best way to go…

Rick

if you’re doing digital recording for your band then definitely go with n-track. audio recording can be done in fruity, but you can do much easier and quicker in ntrack in my opinion. fruity is more loop and synth oriented.

as far as which program acutally comes with plugins, fruity comes with a lot of cool synths and effects and ntrack has some good native ones too, but there are tons of free ones out there that you can use in both.

if money is an issue too, then ntrack is cheaper as well. like i said though, if you’re recording a band then definitely ntrack.

just fyi, i own both and acutally use fruity rewired in ntrack. good luck.

lates

t-willy

It would be so much easier than trying to find the right spot for my 57, and then another million years twirling knobs, and then another million years repositioning the mic, and then a life time trying to shape the EQ juuuuuuuuust right, blah blah blah… :angry:

:D

Fruity (aka FL Studio) does do recording now, but that part of the program is not as sophisticated as n-track. Fruity has evolved into a very powerful music making tool, however, and is not really just about making loops. You can use it to create patterns and sequence the patterns. You can record and playback midi files and audio files along with the patterns you have clicked in. It comes with a lot of plugins, but most of them won’t run outside of Fruity. With a little imagination you can do any kind of music in it, including orchestral. I don’t think it is the best tool for recording a band live, however.

N-track is basically modeled on a mulitrack cassette recorder emulated in software, but has evolved to add midi capability and the ability to host vst’s and dxi’s. Fruity started out as a drum machine and bassline creator. Fruity still shows its roots in electronica, but like n-track, it has evolved beyond its roots. I agree that n-track is a better tool for recording a band.

You can run Fruity as a vsti in n-track and get the best of both. The demo version of Fruity won’t do this, however, and I think you can’t do it with the cheapest version either.

There are other programs that perhaps better balance recording tools with loops and midi. One of the things that some people don’t like about Fruity is the playlist, where you sequence your patterns, loops, audio and midi files. In other programs, the sequencing is done in the track view, so there is no intervening step. Traktion, for example, works like this.

But if your main purpose is to record your band, and you know how to run a cassette recorder, n-track is a good and inexpensive choice.

John

at one time, the only time to do it was to use fruity for drums/rhythym/looping only, then bring that into n-track and use n-track for your live audio recording. these days fruity loops has audio recording/multitrack capability so you can do it all in fruity loops. with midi in n-track, you can technically do it all in n-track too, it just depends how you like to attack things and how you see yourself using these programs.

if you are going to be doing all loop-based stuff (create segments of your songs and audio, and them rearrange them), fruity loops might be the all-in-one package you need.

if you have zero need for loop based recording or sampling/sequencing your rhythym section at all, you might be able to do everything with n-track.

me, i still use both. i like creating my rhythym section in fruity, and then bringing that file into n-track to jam along with. with re-wire, you can now run n-track and fruity at the same time. when you make a change to your rhythym section in fruity, the changes are heard instantly in n-track. nice feature.