Looking to switch back....

Hi folks. I was a n-track 2 user back in the day. Currently I’m using Cubase SX3 and was seriously think aboout trying N-track again. I see many cool things in it now. I received an email about n-Track 4 and it made me wonder.

My question in (and I looked in search and didn’t come up with a straight answer) Does N-track support any control surfaces yet? This would be a major push for me.

Please let me know.
Johnny

I was using my US-428 with n-Track, but have since sold it. But- it worked, albeit not all the toggles/knobs had a function in n-Track. I don’t know if that’s because I didn’t get into the approrpiate window and assign these attributes,… but there you have it.

There’s a guy here using the Evolution UC33-e, or something like that. He’s happy with it, and there’s buzz about the Behringer BCF-2000 being useful. I’m certain there is pretty good support for control surfaces, especially if they’re assignable. I think they all are.

Search around…

Is there a “Learn” function in n-Track? If that’s the case, All I’d need is to have it learn the faders and pan knobs. :D

yes, there is a learn function. N-track does not support controller surfaces directly, but can receive and send real-time midi data to program a controller.

Cool. Thanx for the info. I’ll have to wait for a while then. I got to play around with it lastnight and all I can say is WOW!

I went ahead and bought the 24 bit version. Pretty #### cool. However, I’ll have to wait for some kind of controller function.

Thanx guys.
Johnny

It does support a couple devices by default. Setting it up is very easy if you just know the CC#'s assigned to the various knobs & faders on your device. Especially if there’s a learn mode, which I didn’t realize.

So, I’m not sure what you’d be waiting FOR.

Cheers
Jeff

Quote (learjeff @ Mar. 05 2006,12:30)
...So, I'm not sure what you'd be waiting FOR.

Cheers
Jeff

Well, there's always money... :(

So the folks that have control surfaces with N… do they feel its worth it at this time… or should we wait for something to work out of the box?

Thanks

sLY

That occurs to me as maybe taking a while. n-Track still isn’t commanding the market space that Cubase, Sonar, etc. are commanding. It would be cornering a small market for a large outfit like Behringer, Mackie, or Tascam to do the work of direct compatibility.

I’d just get something solid and teach the booger. Take the time and get the functionality that suits your own personal procedure and work. Customize!

I have fooled around with trying to get N-tracks to work with my Tascam DM-24 and Yamaha 01V but have basically decided that I prefer using volume envelopes to using a control surface anyway. Flying faders are cool but there are a few questions about how they should work that to me aren’t obvious. One question is whether the faders should overide the current mix or sum with it. The on-board automation on the DM-24 does either, but you have to tell it which you want before you start using the faders. Also, how would N-tracks know when you touched a fader (or if you touched a fader)whether to stop playing-back the fader movements or to let you ride it for subtle changes. The first pass would be unambiguous but there are fiddly bits in working the interaction once the envelopes are present.

I was able to get N-tracks to respond to the faders but I don’t think all of the control options are worked out. In any case I had originally thought I would like to use the board’s faders that way but have since decided that with volume envelopes there is no point. Volume envelopes can contol the level of individual notes or even portions of individual notes. If I want both detailed and general adjustments I just create individual groups for each track and use their envelopes for slow changes and the track envelopes for detailed adjustments. The on-screen mixer is fine for setting the base levels, especially using the mouse wheel (or trackball wheel in my case). Volume envelopes stay where you put them and can be adjusted with far more precision than you could ever do with faders.

My $.02

Jim

Even with a control surface (which certainly should be handy), I recommend drawing envelopes over recording fader movements. You can do a far more precise job of it, for one thing. But the main reason is that when you record fader movements, you’ve lost the ability to boost or cut the whole track by some amount, and I find that to be a crucial feature. Countless generations of folks using hardware processor-controlled mixing desks have struggled with this over the decades. The truth is that with recording fader movements, you really need two faders: the “overall” fader, which doesn’t get recorded, and the “flying” fader, which does. n-Track may support such a concept, but if so, it’s not clear how and how it would be presented. IMHO, the best bet would be a master switch to change between overall (or, “track bias”) and flying.

With that kind of thing, I’d want “recording faders” to actually draw volume envelopes, and the flying faders to respond to the envelope changes. I don’t think that’s how it works, but it’s been a long time and a lotta versions of n-Track since I’ve used it and my memory may be wrong.

Out of the box, n-Track supports TASCAM US224 and US428.

If you’re interested in control files other folks have set up for their mixers, start a new post asking for mixer control “.dat” files. Could be someone’s already done the work for you.

Or take 10 minutes and set it up yourself: Go to “File -> Settings -> MIDI Faders/Control setup”. Click on a function in the list and click “Learn” and move the corresponding control. Do this for each control, and “Save” so you can recover it on reinstall or resetting preferences. (Note: when saving, be sure to navigate to the n-Track folder, or someplace you’ll remember – otherwise it might save it to the latest song folder.)