Looking to upgrade to a new PC?

I have one of these. Pretty sweet…

This arrived Monday… D’s New PC I finally got all my stuff moved over, cards installed, etc last night and I am very pleased with it thus far.

A couple of added bonuses for us DAW guys;

1. It is as quiet as a tomb. My old box sounded like an F-15 on afterburners…
2. There are two front panel accessible drive caddies. I dropped a 1TB Western Digital Caviar “Black Edition” in a caddie, slapped it in and booted up. (They are NOT hot swappable.) This is now my audio storage drive. FAST and HUGE… Come next payday, I’m gonna buy a twin to drop in the other caddie for backups, drive images, samples etc… It also has numerous USB2 ports, a couple of FW ports (VIA FW chipset) and an eSATA port.

It comes with Vista 64 Home Premium but you get a free upgrade to Win 7 Home Premium when it’s released in late October.

This thing FLIES… I’m a happy camper.

D

Man that is super nice. ?? Are you able to boot from the other drives ??
That’s what I want. To be able to throw in a disk w/ any OS or specialized setup and
boot right up. Ya know (one for music, one for work/internet, one for games, Linux)
Also - it looks like doing backups will be a breeze.
And is the Firewire good for audio interface?
Free Win7 upgrade - that’s nice too.
Excellent.
I may hold out for an I7 (D-stepping). But I may be holding out for a while.

Not bad. It’s a little dated, hard-wise but you can’t beat the price.

Hi Tonight:

How do find n-Track behaves with your new setup?

Are you fully setup with all your audio software/audio/toys yet?

Is the audio hardware and drivers and computer behaving well together?

It looks pretty nice…

Bill…

[EDIT] Although this is the Canadian Tiger Direct… Is THIS LINK considered the same machine? Just checking the Toronto warehouse center…

Quote:

How do find n-Track behaves with your new setup?

Don't know... I ain't about to soil this machine by puttin' n-Track on it! I'm a Reaper guy. Reaper roolz... n-Track droolz... :p
I hang around here because I like ratchet jawin' with you guys and occasionally sticking a thorn in Flavio's side thinking he might catch up some day...

Quote:

Although this is the Canadian Tiger Direct..
Is THIS LINK considered the same machine?
Just checking the Toronto warehouse center..

Nope. I could not find it on the Tigerdirect.ca web site. Don't know what that's all about?

Quote:

Is the audio hardware and drivers and computer behaving well together?

Yep. It's a beautiful thing... The projects that were pushing my old AthlonXP 3200+ system to near 100% run at 11-13% (with Reaper of course). I LIKE it! I will add though... as soon as my free Win 7 upgrade comes, Vista is OUTTA HERE! The I.T. guys at work have done a lot of testing of Win 7. It appears to be kick-a$$ compared to Vista... so there is something to look forward to in October besides cold weather. :)

D

PS Don't jump on me about the n "comments". Facts are facts. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself...
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 23 2009, 12:23 PM)

Man that is super nice. ?? Are you able to boot from the other drives ??
That's what I want. To be able to throw in a disk w/ any OS or specialized setup and
boot right up. Ya know (one for music, one for work/internet, one for games, Linux)
Also - it looks like doing backups will be a breeze.
And is the Firewire good for audio interface?
Free Win7 upgrade - that's nice too.
Excellent.
I may hold out for an I7 (D-stepping). But I may be holding out for a while.

Woo... that's a lot of questions P!

The only thing I know so far... you can boot from the primary HD or the CD/DVD drive. My old system had two partitions on the primary HD... both with XP Pro but one of 'em stripped down for audio work. On this new machine, one could divvy up the 750GB HD into several partitions and load whatever OS you want on them. I used Partition Magic from Symantec on the old box. There are freebies for this task now though...

Firewire; Most audio/MIDI interface manufacturers with FW based products recommend a Texas Instruments Firewire chipset. This machine has a VIA FW chipset. I have not bothered loading up my son's Presonus FireBOX to test it though... So in answer to the question, *shrug* ??? LOL... sorry...

i7? Yeah... it would be sweet... but I have found the best deals are not "cutting edge" though. Do I really NEED a state of the art i7 box costing possibly 1200-2000 bucks? No. This Q9400 quad-core jobbie will meet my humble requirements for a long time to come for peanuts versus the latest technology.

D

DiogeSNEEZ?
lol
When did that happen?
No - that’s a killer machine. I’m still on a AMD 1.5 gHz proc. And anything I do is close to 100% cpu.
I was just wondering if you pop a disk into the ext. bay if you can select in the BIOS to boot that disk. That would be sweet.

BTW - does it have a floppy disc?

Heh-heh…

Dude? I’ve been “Diogesneez” since spring! LOL… I created that “handle” during the usual spring “Oh Lord… PLEASE HELP ME before my head EXPLODES in a green, sloppy, gory MESS” season. :laugh:

I’ll check the BIOS options and get back to you on that… Honestly? I have not even looked at the BIOS setup screen(s) yet. I’ll have to check the manual… probably F10 or summat…

No floppy dick… errr… DISK! I meant DISK… yeah… (Vivaaaaaa… Vi—agra… Vivaaaaaa… Vi—agra… STOOPIT!)

D

ROFL… I just fired up Reaper x64 to try it out with their new 32 to 64 bit VST FX “bridge”. The projects I mentioned running 11-13%? How about averaging 7.5% with the 64 bit version of Reaper? Wow… just, wow… Say it backwards… WOW… upside down? MOM… okay forget that… impressive nonetheless…

D

oh - Spring. That explains it then. My brain shuts down every Spring for repair.
How’s the noise level on that baby?

Quote: (Diogesneez @ Sep. 24 2009, 2:14 AM)

ROFL... I just fired up Reaper x64 to try it out with their new 32 to 64 bit VST FX "bridge". The projects I mentioned running 11-13%? How about averaging 7.5% with the 64 bit version of Reaper? Wow... just, wow... Say it backwards... WOW... upside down? MOM... okay forget that... impressive nonetheless...

D

Yep, I have done the testing on Reaper with 32 to 64 bridge, WOW don't get it D.....Proteus VX (all 16 channels being used) running with 12 audio tracks,32 vst plugs, can you say FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET! Holy Moly....I put in a request here for a bridge in 64 n, was turned down.

To the "Dark Side" I go.
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 24 2009, 3:13 AM)

oh - Spring.
That explains it then.
My brain shuts down every Spring for repair.
How's the noise level on that baby?

Dead quiet 7. You hear a kind of 'rush' sound when you press the power button on but then it's as quiet as the grave. The old Athlon had the little tiny fan on the heat sink running at a bazillion rpm and squalling like a gut shot Comanche. This one has a big air diffuser and large diameter fan attached to the heat sink and the speed is comparatively low so less noise. I'm impressed with how quiet it is. The old box was LOUD!

D

PS I'll try to check on the BIOS boot options for you this evening. :agree:

Seven,

Yeah you can have multiple bootable disks or partitions. If multiple boot disks are found, pressing F10 at startup allows you to choose WHICH to boot from. You can boot from CD/DVD, any hard disk… even USB disks! Pretty cool IMO.

D

No floppy disc - forget it :laugh:
The optional boot option is great. Seems like you struck gold. Congrats.

You can drop a floppy drive in for about ten bucks! SHEESH! :laugh:

I have one of those USB floppy drives for “emergencies”.

D

Well my first thought is I use it (floppy) to boot Ghost (DOS). I know I could make a Ghost boot CD, but I like to have a floppy controller that I can boot to DOS. And not just for Windows, but for Linux (to boot a network drive - etc.) ?So can you plug a USB floppy in and boot the machine to DOS? Cus I have found that you need DOS USB drivers, which are very rare for most USB devices. (Including the main board USB)
In other words your main board USB would need to load DOS USB driver before it could recognize the USB floppy in DOS.

LOL… don’t know about that 7. Next you’ll be wanting to boot CP/M!! Remember that? DOS’s grand-dad… I HATED CP/M with a passion.

D

I guess I’m just a luddite at heart. :laugh:

Yup, those Caviar Blacks are the best $89 out there. My new DAW has an eSATA port on it and I got one of these for my audio drive:

http://rosewill.com/products/916/productDetail.htm

Like $29… so at home I get true SATA speed… but I can take the drive with me and do USB2 when I do outside work. Plus I can drag the disk to work and push out backup images from time to time to der SAN. The ?sad? thing is I have like 100GB of sample data on the poor guy already. God knows I NEVER want to go through the DVD shuffle again (remember when we used to complain about 16 floppies for Office and now we have 8 DVDs for samples in a single library?!) to install SampleTank, Philharmonik, Superior, Omnisphere etc etc again… so backups are my friend.