Looking to upgrade to a new PC?

Thanks for that link Bubba. That’s a nice looking enclosure. I had thought about getting another WD Black and popping it in an enclosure. That’s what those eSATA jacks are for…

D

Yup, eSATA rawks. Best of both worlds. The fact I can run it on a Mac (buddy runs Reaper OSX) or any other machine via USB2 is a huge win as EVERYONE supports USB2 it seems and frankly I have yet to hit a bottle neck running audio over a USB2 drive.

Also, Win7 has really really nice image/block based actually useful backup (think Acronis/Time Machine) built in. In the mean time I have been using rsync. I am half tempted to get a cheapo WD Green or something as an external back up drive. The girlfriend’s HD just burnt up a spindle and I had to send it out to a recovery place for entirely too much money to get the data off… so I am all about backups as of late.

Quote:

The girlfriend's HD just burnt up a spindle and I had to send it out to a recovery place for entirely too much money to get the data off...

Did you try the ol' laying the drive on it's edge trick? Takes the platter(s) weight off of the spindle bearings in the vertical axis where they prolly spent YEARS wearing. We had one die at work with no backup. Drive wouldn't spin up so the box wouldn't boot... I.T. guy comes in, takes the drive out of the cage leaving it connected and stands it on it's edge. After a couple of attempts, it booted and we were able to shoot the data to a server folder. Saved the day...

D