Loop Station emulation

how to use n-track as a loop station?

Is there a way to use N-Track as a loop station? I’m trying to emulate, say, a BOSS RC20XL.

It seems I might be able to do it with punch-in recording (but I don’t really want to record!), but I can’t seem to make it work.

Or would it require a new feature or two?

Here’s what I’m thinking: I record a section of music that’s longer than I need, both in front and in back. Then, while it’s playing back, I press a button to define the start of the loop region, and press it again to define the end of the loop region. (it would be nice to have a foot stomp controller tied into N-track, to start/stop while actually playing, but that’s probably asking a little much. Recording first then using buttons to select the range later would be fine.)

I know I can already select a portion of the track, (say, using the mouse), and then loop that, but I can’t select the range properly that way. There seems to be no intuitive, on-the-fly, beat-oriented way to select exactly the portion of music that I want.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Ralphieboy

n-Track isn’t really geared up for looping. Acid Pro might be more the application you’d need.

I have tried doing some looping in n-Track but with little success. This is what I did… Set the metronome tempo to the speed I want. Switched the grid on and set the grid markers so each vertical line represents a ‘bar’ or four beats. Hit record, played an instrument (could be a drum machine, or guitar or keyboard). After recording a minute or so, I then split the track into many 1 bar sized pieces, by selecting the relevant split track function, to split the track at each grid marker point. (I can’t remember how this was done without looking - I’m at work - but it should be there somewhere).

Now the track is split up, I could rearrange these ‘bar’ pieces into a different order, copy to another track, repeat bars etc. Then I could repeat the above, recording a different instrument, then a third. Because each piece is exactly a bar in size it meant you could rearrange the bars to go anywhere - and it should all be in time and so on. … Only it didn’t quite work. The parts, although evenly spliced, would often be a fraction too long or too short. It meant that rearranging the bars would make the overall tune out of time or otherwise splice awkwardly.

I gave up… !! It would be good if it was as easy as this to loop, but alas not. I now prefer a more organic way of recording by not worrying about tempos at all, or looping as such. I just record parts, then link sections together as and when I need to, getting the timing right by ear. However, you can loop in a simple way if you take the time and trouble to just loop a simple 1 or 2 bar part, as you have done already, but the possibilities are limited. Doing what I did above wasn’t worth it really though. Like I said you could do with looping software.