LP to CD

I’m recording several of my old records to the computer so I can burn them to CD. I have some that have a lot of pops on them. Is there a tool available for n-track that will help get rid of them? Thanks.

Jim

I used GoldWave to record and edit the few songs I copied from LPs to the computer. I understand Audacity is also good.

When I did this a year ago there were some programs offered for a nominal fee that would record a whole album and break each song into distinct wave files based on the silence between each song.

Download.com would be a good resource for this.

Just as an aside I found that the nice warm LP sound went away when converted to CD, even after filtering out the clicks and pops on the LPs, which I thought would cut a lot of the highs. It didn’t, in fact it accentuates them.

Jim,

There is another consideration when going from vinyl to CD and that is: RIAA equalization. All vinyl LPs in the US were cut
using RIAA and without it you will lose the “warmth” that valrecorder mentions.

There are proggies that are designed for vinyl-to-CD duplicating. Go to http://www.hitsquad.com or http://www.tucows.com and poke around some. Blaze Audio has a program called “Rip, Edit, Burn” which supposedly has a RIAA preamp built in but I don’t know if the free demo will do it. I have also heard that the free AudioGrabber app will do it. I don’t know for sure. One other option that comes to mind is…study the RIAA curve and try to dup it in n-Track then mixdown. That should do the trick.

If you are taking your output off of a turntable directly you will need RIAA compensation. If you are taking it off of a good stereo system then RIAA should already be applied.

HTH

Don

PS: Radio Shack shows a RIAA Preamp here: http://www.radioshack.com/product…42-2825
I know that RCA makes one for about US$10 but I have forgotten the SKU for it. We used to sell hundreds of them for exactly your purpose. The F-R-E-E approach would be to study the RIAA curve and try to duplicate it in n-Track.

About the RIAA eq Don mentioned, i remember that the Audacity EQ has a preset called that way. Can be a place for start.
About denoising tools, i like cooledit96, but for vinyls i have found a german proggie not very well known that i like very much:
WavePurity. It have some nice features for de-click, de-pop, de-noise, de-rumble, de-50-60hz, etc. And plus is a nice audio editor. Not very expensive, and has a demo for try it. (additionaly, you can purchase a RIAA plugin for it)
Another tool, free this days, i have seen but not tryed is DeNoise 1.0, maybe you can give it a try.

Well, luck with all this!

I’ve got a copy of a programme called “Clean” by Steinberg. You can often pick it up in the bargain bin for next to nothing (mine’s version 2 and they are up to at least 5 now).

Anyway, it’s designed for doing exactly what you are doing - converting vinyl to cd - and has pop filters, EQ, rumble filters, speed correction etc, etc.

HTH

Mark

Personally, I’d say it would be better to use a RIAA preamp (they don’t cost much) instead of re-equalizing the files after the fact. Some soundcards (like E-mu 1820) have 'em built in, but you can buy them separately.

Or go through a garage sale or flea market to find a cheap, old, working stereo receiver/amplifier with Phono inputs. Probably the cheapest alternative. And best results.

Hi Guys:
We all seem to have our favourate application for doing this type of work… There is this guy over inthe Netherlands that’s been working on this utility for a few years now…

http://www.polderbits.com/ Can’t get the link to behave… Copy-and-paste to browser…

The latest build has all these toys built in… He even has modified the application to make all the “Edits” work in mp3 format…

I’m proding him to see if he’ll raise the reselution from 16 bits to 24 bits… However, he don’t seem too interested in working on that feature… I use the utility to Edit the starts and ends of tracks and parts of tracks… It works well for those applications… for me…

Bill…

What Mwah said…if you run the turntable through an old amp or receiver using the phono inputs, the RIAA EQ compensation is built in. Just take the recoding signal from the tape monitor out of the amp/receiver.

Thanks for all the info. The turntable I’m using is built in to the stereo I have hooked up to the computer so it sounds like I’ll be ok on the RIAA EQ. I will check out the software you all have suggested for taking care of the pops and hissing. I just wasn’t sure if there was an add on for n-track that I could use or not but it sounds like I have to use a different software to accomplish what I want to do.

I have an earlier version of Clean that I’ve had some success with, and I know the newer versions actually come with an RIAA preamp in the box. I stumbled across this site a while ago, might be of interest to anyone who wants to do serious restoration.

http://www.tracertek.com/

There are a few articles on that site that talk of a “new approach” to LP restoration that involves a flat recording and applying the RIAA curve digitally. I’ve been on a casual lookout for an RIAA plugin since, maybe I’ll try Audacity if I get back into this.

I’ve been using Groove Mechanic from Coyote Electonics for getting rid of the clicks, pops and rumbles. It does an awesome job.

Groove Mechanic

When I burned my LPs I took the tape out from my amp/receiver to the PC, so presumabley the RIAA equalization was already done by the amp. Still, the CD harshness compared to the LP was a surprise (some would call it clearer, more high end).

I hear the the super CDs attempt to reduce this harshness. Have not heard one yet.

www.enhancedaudio.com >>>DC-Art32

This cleaning software has the RIAA curve as one of the presets in one of it’s EQs…It makes a big difference when doing LP>harddrive>CD processing. It also has a lot of tools for removing noise from 78s and cassettes.