Mailing songs.

How to mail a complete song?

I have tried to mail a complete song from one computer to another with no success. I’ve done like this: before i start recording a song I create a directory with the title of the song and save all wav, peak and sng files in this. Then, I have tried to send the directory by mail. Does not work. It comes up in the mail, but is impossible to open. I also tried to use WinZip, but this made my computer go completely nuts. Tried this on both my computers, one is brand new, and the same happened to both. I know I can copy onto a CD and load into my other PC that way, but I thought I could just mail it. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong?
–OLsen–

Most sound files are really quite gigantic when compared to e-mail. Your e-mail provider probably has a cap on how big a file you can send. I would seriously look into using a CD-R or setting up a file share on your LAN.

Yup, many many of the servers that your email goes through on the Internet cap files at 2MB. (It’s an old standard.)
And due to the way the Net is built there’s no way of guaranteeing what servers your mail goes through along the path, so you could be screwed and never know it.

Yahoo lets you go 10MB attachments, so if you BOTH had Yahoo accounts where the mail stays within their system you should be fine up to 10Mb.

Mailing a CD-R is a better, although slower, way to go.

Quote (olsen @ May 24 2005,12:14)
I’ve done like this: before i start recording a song I create a directory with the title of the song and save all wav, peak and sng files in this. Then, I have tried to send the directory by mail.

Instead of transferring a directory, you can save the song as one “packed” song file which is easier to deal with on the other end, especially if the absolute paths for song’s files differs between the machines. Kind of a built-in N-track “zip” utility, if you will. To do this, just save the project using File->“Save As Packed Song file”, which creates a .sgw file with all the song project files in it. Opening this in N-track on the receiving machine will expand it into all the individual song files, one of which is the main .sng for the project.

HTH…

Tony
Quote (Scantee @ May 24 2005,17:44)
Instead of transferring a directory, you can save the song as one "packed" song file which is easier to deal with on the other end, especially if the absolute paths for song's files differs between the machines. Kind of a built-in N-track "zip" utility, if you will.

Wouldn't it be great if Flavio implemented some kinda lossless compression scheme into this?

Older versions of n-Track used the WMA codec for compression, and now WMA comes in a lossless flavor... I'd really like to see this in n-Track.

More on topic:
If you use AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), it's really quick & easy to transfer files of any size.

Jason, really interesting, i dont knowed about that feature of WMA yet. Googling your info, i found this WMA & APE link, maybe you are interesed in reading.

Another option would be to put it up on an ftp site and then the other person can download from there.

I just posted the following to another thread but it may be relavent here as well:

not sure if were on the same page but the OV compression method (Ogg Vorbis as well as a Canadian beer called Old Vienna) does allow for lossless compression. My writing partner lives about 60 miles away so when we are working on a song independently we send .sgw files back and forth to keep us in sync regarding the mix using the internet. When you access the File>Save as Packed Song file utility and you slide the Compression Setting button all the way over to the right the display indicates “no compression”. Keep in mind that if your song file contains six tracks of wave files and the average size of each file is 40 meg then the related .sgw file will be at least 240 meg plus the the related .sng file size.

What we have been doing to get around the file size issue regarding e-mail is to transfer the file using Skype. If both parties are using hi speed the transfer speed is about 4 meg per minute. The 240 meg .sgw file would take about an hour to transfer but it sure beats driving or using couriers.

As I mentioned earlier if your attemting file transfer without loss then the above works for me…

Chris