Making a Click Track

I want to make a simple click track that would align with the grid. I studied Hotdogwater’s tutorial on n-Track drums but I can’t find anywhere in n-Track drums where I can change the BPM.

How do you guys make a simple click track at, say, 160 bpm?

two part operation -

1st part setting up the MIDI side of things - insert blank MIDI track. ouitput track to NTD - ehen NTD opens close NTDs GUI as it will only get in the way -

now go to VIEW/METRONOME - metronome pamel opens, UNTICK PC SPEAKER BOX - click on ON and then TEST - you should now hear the metronome - change the note numbers in the 2 x NOTE BOX@S to what suits your needs - now go to VIEW/TEMPO - the tempo bar will now open, above the righthand data box are a set of icons click on the DRUMSTICKS and changethe BPM to 160 - metronome now runs at 160bpm -

part two -

ok now for the TRICK BIT we have got to make N run the metronome for a certain time and record the output from the metronome - DO THIS insert any wave file into N - NOW “MUTE” THAT WAVE FILE - go to MIXDOWN - give file a name - when MIXDOWN panel opens - click on MIXDOWN WHILE PLAYING, then START - mixdown will last for the length of the audio track you inserted - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STOP MIXDOWN UNTILL IT HAS FINISHED RECORDING -

when recording is finished import recorded track and play -

Dr J

EDIT TO ABOVE - when tempo bar is open, in data box you will see 1-1-0 4/4 then 1-1-0 120, click on the 1-1-0 before 120 (it will turn blue) and them click on drumsticks and change to 160 -

REASON -
the grid sets itself to the tempo set in the tempo bax, default is 120bpm - if timeline is not reset to start when making change then there will be a step both in the grid spacing and the tempo of the metronome -

Dr J

DrJ your signature picture is way beyond tasteless.

Thanks, Dr. J, but I can’t seem to get it to work. I really appreciate your help, BTW - I don’t know squat about MIDI.

There’s several things that don’t make sense or may be a problem.

1) From the Add Channel menu I’m clicking Add New Instrument Channel -> n-Track -> n-Track Drums. Then I’m closing the drums window.

2) I then go to View -> Metronome and open the Metronome.

3) I can’t get the metronome to play if I have the output set to Delta 1010 MIDI. I have to have the output go to n-Track Drums to get anything. I also have to check the MIDI box besides unchecking the PC Speaker box.

4) I can get the thing to act like a Metronome and it responds to changing the BPM.

5) I tried inserting a blank audio track, muting it, and then mixing it down during playback as per your instructions. I can’t get the mixdown to incorporate the metronome. I get a blank mixdown track.

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help…

I gave up trying to “make” a click in Ntrack years ago…although I have had several very kind members here explain it to me on more than one occasion ???

I use
Audacity 1.2.6
and create a click for the desired BPM and length in that and export it as a wave file…then bring it into Ntrack. I never was much good at Midi…but audy might offer midi clicks as well.

BTW if you have a delta, and a fast enough processor you should be able to play along with the metronome in real time without having to use a made click track to play with.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

you DONT do this
1) From the Add Channel menu I’m clicking Add New Instrument Channel -> n-Track -> n-Track Drums. Then I’m closing the drums window -
THIS IS CORRECT -

YOU DONT DO THIS -
3) I can’t get the metronome to play if I have the output set to Delta 1010 MIDI. I have to have the output go to n-Track Drums to get anything. I also have to check the MIDI box besides unchecking the PC Speaker box.
__OUTPUT FROM NTD IS AUDIO NOT MIDI SO USE DELTA OUT 1/2 -

METRONOME DRIVES NTD - NTD OUTPUTS “AUDIO” TO SOUNDCARD - YOU HAVE TO HEAR NTD IN YOUR SPEAKERS FOR IT TO WORK - when you hear the metronome then you are 90% of the way there -

SUGGEST YOU HIGHLGHT TEXT FROM PRIOR “HOW TO” POST, COPY IT, THEN PASTE INTO NOTEPAD, THIS IS EASIER THAN TRYING TO REFER BACK TO FORUM -

i know this works because when i reply to a post i always have N running in the background and have just done what i suggest to be done -

Dr J

here are some screenshots that may help -

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/eurodog6/myscreenshot-14.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/eurodog6/myscreenshot-15.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/eurodog6/myscreenshot-16.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/eurodog6/myscreenshot-17.jpg

Dr J

WooHooooo!!! I got it to work. It aligns with the grid and everything.

Boy, this is a fussy process, though. I’m sure it will get easier when I’ve done it several more times but I’ve always felt that n-Track was an intuitive program until I tried to do this.

Thanks for the help, Dr. J!