Making a trial mix

How can I copy a project to another directory so that I can try a mix without affecting the original? I know I can do Save As, but, if I understand correctly, that creates a new .sng file which still points to the original wav files, so any changes, such as a fade-out, will actually affect the original files. I want to be able, for example, to try various fades, levels, pans, etc., save these experiments, and come back later and listen to compare.

I know this will involve using a lot of disk space for the various copies, but that is not a concern for me – when I’m done, I can delete the trial folders.

I’m thinking I have to do this: Save As (the sng file) to a new folder. Copy all the wave files there. Open the song, remove the parts (which would at this point be the original wav files) and import the wav files from the “trial mix” folder. Seems like a lot of work.

Am I missing something?

So long as you have n-Track in “None Destructive” mode the wave files will not be altered.

Dang, tony, I was going to say that. I so rarely have a useful answer to contribute. Dang.

Still, scarter, it’s usually a good idea to have the files backed up anyway.

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 06 2011, 5:25 PM)

Dang, tony, I was going to say that.
I so rarely have a useful answer to contribute.
Dang.

Still, scarter, it's usually a good idea to have the files backed up anyway.

:-)
Urhhhm!? Isn't there a "template" tool? I'll go fire-up the machine.

As Tony said, in normal operation nothing affects the original Wav files.

So just save your various mixes as “Test mix 1” “Test mix 2” etc until you get to "Final Mix"

Nick

N-track is non-destructive so you can just s…, oh, wait… Too slow.

:)

Peanuts, raisins, and MnMs.

Anchovy and Harissa on Rye.

Yeah, that doesn’t do so well in a day pack.