MAKING HEADLINES

:laugh: Ya what he said!
Quote:

I've already told bubba in an email that I like the drums moving around.

But Levi... drums don't move around... unless you're playing with a marching band or something. Stuff moving all over the place distracts and makes a song annoying to listen to. With all the power available to us with DAW's and such, it's sooo easy to get tempted into stuff like this. You should have heard my first few mixes on n-Track years ago! LOL... I didn't need n-Track. I just needed the worlds largest reverb unit! Point is, I listened to more seasoned guys, payed attention and learned from it. "Reverb is like VO5. I little dab'll do ya'" :laugh:

Not bustin' your chops man... just sayin' a bunch of guys here are saying the same thing so you might wanna give the suggestions a shot. Just to see how it turns out. :peace:

D

Well never mind then… Don’t worry bout yada yad Bubba - It was passed on by everyone I pitched it to.

Well yeah the mix might be a little, uh, well, unique but I think it’s a great little tune, and yeah the styles work together, the guitars and the vocals, the backing vocals are great. Craig delivers it just right. So with or without an alternate mix I think the songwriting, vocals and guitars are :agree:

Quote: (nixon1972 @ Aug. 27 2009, 10:29 PM)

Well yeah the mix might be a little, uh, well, unique but I think it's a great little tune, and yeah the styles work together, the guitars and the vocals, the backing vocals are great. Craig delivers it just right. So with or without an alternate mix I think the songwriting, vocals and guitars are
:agree:

:laugh: I would call the mix; "crashed and exercised". But thx Nix, I totally agree with you. It's a good arrangement.
:cool: Lets see, I worked the pan via Duff, Got the peaneatbutter away from the chocklet via you know who,
got the drums to stay home and worked the bass for Bubba, Tightened the screws on the guitar and bass for you know who else, fixed words from outer space for craig, pumped the guitar and bass for me because I like the fount row or stage sound.
What else?
Hmmmm I'm sure there is something I missed somewhere but for the most part this will make any one a great demo if not a downloader.
Personally want to thank you jerks for pointing out needs.
I thought that you had been slacking and letting stuff slide in my other works lately
Ya jerks :laugh: Alls well that ends well.
Ok now, no need for half baked sermons on what ever word sparks your flicker about what had to be done lol, it's time to celibate!
Thx for letting me do this Craig!
Your cool slick!
:agree: Thx G, Bill, Duff and Nix for seeing the song! Oh yea thx Flavio for build 2403 so I could get this done quick!
I'm outta here!

If I click on the link on the first page will take me to the new mix?

An artists’ vision is their own. That’s why alot of the time I dont make suggestions on mixes…I dont know what as an artist the person is trying to accomplish. If your vision for this song was the original mix then you should have stood by it and not listened the comments posted.

Music is art, and in art there are no rules. How many innovations would have been lost if no-one ever experimented and just followed a norm? If your ears like it, and it moves your soul, then it must be good, and no other opinion matters.

Duff

Quote: (duffman @ Aug. 31 2009, 8:49 AM)

Music is art, and in art there are no rules. How many innovations would have been lost if no-one ever experimented and just followed a norm? If your ears like it, and it moves your soul, then it must be good, and no other opinion matters.

Duff

That sort of covers the creativity of what is contained in the file..
It sounds O.K.
on my setup over here..

Bill..

p.s.
My Sweetwater Creation Station has a mechnical resonation on the inside, somewhere.. I need to address that issue..
Quote: (duffman @ Aug. 31 2009, 6:49 AM)

If I click on the link on the first page will take me to the new mix?

An artists' vision is their own. That's why alot of the time I dont make suggestions on mixes.....I dont know what as an artist the person is trying to accomplish. If your vision for this song was the original mix then you should have stood by it and not listened the comments posted.

Duff

Hi Duff,
Yep that link is to the current mix.
I totally agree with you on the personal artistic value point.
Great point!
However build 2402 03, did ghost highlighting.
So when I zoomed in to normalize a bass note that was to hot on the L or R... It was affecting my drum track with out me knowing it at the time.
So the end result was moving drums.
It takes very little normalizing of one side or the other to obtain a big sweep.
Meaning you only have to
change the volume level of a few hits on one side for it to make an obvious statement in your song.
I kind of liked it in a couple places.
But their where obvious places where it didn't belong.
I was half tempted to go with some of that and will definitely use that technique somewhere in the future.
Craig mentioned that he liked it to but I was also a little worried about it.
I did have changes that I had to make like bringing up bg vocal levels, Craigs, and guitar levels in places anyway.

I saw the panning drum hits a little like the toms across a stereo spectrum of the mix.
I believe there can be movement if done in good taste.
I also knew that I would be tightening up a couple notes on the bass track.
I do appreciate you Mr Duff!
Thx to you to Bill.
Craig and I might go to Taxi with this tune what's your take on that idea?
I personally think this is an awsome song and arrangement.
Quote:

An artists' vision is their own. That's why alot of the time I dont make suggestions on mixes.....I dont know what as an artist the person is trying to accomplish. If your vision for this song was the original mix then you should have stood by it and not listened the comments posted.

I agree with most of that. I hesitate to comment most of the time for the same reason. Something has to grab my attention pretty hard before I feel like commenting and even then I do it with trepidation. There's nothing worse than being asked for constructive criticism and then getting your chops busted for giving it. Of course, that doesn't particularly apply here.

This though...

Quote:

... depends on what you want to do with your "art". If it's just for you then don't worry, be happy. Slap it in your iPod and wear it out. If you want to possibly release it for the masses you might want to get a sampling of opinions before you etch it in stone.

D

That mix is much more coherant… at least what I heard on SoundClick. I would still just pan the bass smack center.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Aug. 31 2009, 11:05 AM)

That mix is much more coherant... at least what I heard on SoundClick. I would still just pan the bass smack center.

Thx Bubba,
Center the bass with just a 3 peice group?
Mixin 3 piece is a bit of a drag, but 3 piece pays a little better.
To late now I think it's already been shipped off to Taxi.
And I would kinda hate to have the kick and bass share the center.
I suppose I could wet and dry the guitar stronger L and R.
Quote: (Levi @ Aug. 31 2009, 12:59 PM)

Why is that? The reason I ask is that is the most common (beyond 99% of modern music) way to mix. I suppose to be different for different's sake... sure. But there is a reason kick, snare, and bass are almost always panned dead center.

3 piece doesn’t leave to many mix options for me.
It wasn’t long ago when I put everything in the middle, remember?
I relied on the guitar effects for any stereo influence.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Aug. 31 2009, 2:40 PM)

Quote: (Levi @ Aug. 31 2009, 12:59 PM)

Why is that? The reason I ask is that is the most common (beyond 99% of modern music) way to mix. I suppose to be different for different's sake... sure. But there is a reason kick, snare, and bass are almost always panned dead center.

So the needle doesn't jump out of the groove? Seems to me now it's just convention, and highly conditioned expectations, no good musical reason. Not that I ever move them from center...
Quote:

So the needle doesn't jump out of the groove?

Once that was true... not so much any more. Lasers don't care...

Ponder for a moment the way lower frequencies travel in atmosphere. NOT the quarter inch or so between your ear buds and your ear drums. I swear... DAW's and iPods are killing music... *depressed mode: ON*

D

TG more or less has what I am after… Unless finger noise is very prominent, you have a hard time discerning where the bass is coming from. Therefore, you might as well pan it center and let 2 speaker drivers create the bass than a single speaker huff and puff. Pan it if you wish… Just for the style… I see no reason. My 2 cents and not that important. I mean, I have certainly panned an upright bass in a jazz trio, but that is a whole other animal than a blues/rock tune.

Case in point: http://warsaw.innova-partners.com/~cburke/Calcutta.wma

I had one engineer put the drums on the left guitar on the right and voice and bass centered.
He just wanted to try that.
I took pop’s suggestion back when I posed a question to y’all about mixin 3 piece.
That suggestion was followed by the words “I guess”.
Hey bubba, do you have a sample of any 3 peice work that you’ve done? Would love to hear it!

D, now you don’t want to seem old fashioned, forget the past.
The future is here to stay!
That could be your new Co. slogan; “Mix For The Future”! :laugh:

TomS, you moter city bad boy!
Groovs?
:laugh: I don’t even own an LP I saw one the other day though!

I would love to come up with a simple format for mixing a 3 piece.
Still think that presenting it like it is on stage is the most realistic.
BUT, I’m a musician, not an engineer!
It’s nice that you guys accept me for my attempts though!

keep me out of this one… :laugh:

one comment I would like to make from a former publisher’s viewpoint. Anything, and I mean anything, that distracts from “the song” will get an immediate click on the stop button and the song will not get listened to at all. Industry standards are industry standards for a reason. Mixing demos and mixing artists bees 2 different things.

Carry on…

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Sep. 01 2009, 12:15 PM)

keep me out of this one......... :laugh:

It's your fault, I trusted you! :laugh: I guess! No worries, we got another "hellyeah" on the song last night so comments like that say everything! :agree: