Most fun I’ve ever had recording.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Top notch!
Great sounding tune there Tommy.

You jerk…

Awesome Poppa!

I think you did a fab job with the drums too! Got the hang of EZD. :agree:

D

Well phoo and bubba could have done better but for a programmed drummer it do rock.
We played it over the mains at church last night and blew everyone away - the sound guy did not believe I mixed it on my laptop with my shure earbuds.

Drums do sound great on there too. Whats EZD?

EZDrummer

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Oct. 31 2008, 7:41 AM)

Well phoo and bubba could have done better but for a programmed drummer it do rock.
We played it over the mains at church last night and blew everyone away - the sound guy did not believe I mixed it on my laptop with my shure earbuds.

Heh... I had a similar experience years ago. I had recorded the music "beds" for a song my bud had written, mixed it and threw it on a CD. I called my friend and asked him to meet me the church. When he arrived I handed him a mic and told him to step on stage. After giving me a "what the heck?" look, he did as I asked. I then punched play on the CD player and said, "Belt it out bro'..." Of course he recognized the intro and with wide eyes, began singing. Blew his MIND! :laugh:

I had him over to the "studio" later that week and we laid down the vocals on the recording. I'll dig through the archives to see if I can find it and post it somewhere. It's a good song with a really great message. It's actually on our CD but honestly, I like the "original" version better.

We have been truly blessed with great tools for the music art... It's a great time to be a recording musician.

D

PS Still diggin' the tune Poppa. Great job all around! The drums really don't sound all that "programmed" to me...
Quote:

The drums really don't sound all that "programmed" to me...

That's what I as going for... They're close.

Very close. Woulda fooled me.

Can I be picky? Too much on the voice - less effect - what is that, a short echo? - you have such a great voice, I want to hear it - sorry if it seems presumputous of me to say so… :agree:

Well thanks Tom - but if you heard my voice you would be tellin’ me to process that thing. It’s a novelty tune so what the heck I figured - I wish I had half the voice you do. Thanks for the input.

dude…that’s so funky! love the begining…just gotta bop away to it. :agree:

Ange x

Darn wish I could hear that one! Won’t stream for some reason! Sounds fun!

ha! that’s fun!
i don’t mind a vocal slapback delay, but i always though you should take more of a Trace Atkins vocal approach. your voice seems more built for that. once again, your voice doesn’t need the effects hiding that mine does (polishing turd, lipstick on a pig, anyone?).

New mix is up.

Yada Yada

:agree: :agree:
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Oct. 31 2008, 9:40 AM)

Well thanks Tom - but if you heard my voice you would be tellin' me to process that thing. It's a novelty tune so what the heck I figured - I wish I had half the voice you do. Thanks for the input.

Well, you are wiser and more expereinced and so on, and I hesitate to say that you are wrong, since it would be quite disrespectful, and entirely hubristic, if that's a word, and, well, I wouldn't want to offend or anything, since that would be mean, but, well...you are...not...um...correct...! ???

Seriously, even with the newer mix, the vocals are not easily intelligible, especially when it picks up. I suspect at this point this is an aesthetic thing - I really like that sound on old T Rex recordings - the slap works for that sort of song - and works here - so I'm probably wrong - but I'd still like to hear the vox a little more dry. Just a little.

The guitars sound way better on the second mix - is that me, or did you change them?

In any case, the whole darn thing sounds killer to me.

I re-processed the guitars yes. The lead’s a lot better. Sustains a little more is all and a tad eq near the mids. Having never played that Electra before I was kind of in the dark as far as it’s tone.

I’ll work on the vocals. Thanks for the honest input.

Good mix Poppa, with the exception . . . .

something to tie the whole mix together, sounds like guitars are in this room and everything else in another room altogether.
Good song tho! :)