Many GUI Bugs & Malfunctions

time to start compiling a list

I’ve only been testing the GUI of 4- not trying out actual recording/editing functions.

It seems like theres lots of problems moving toolbars, docking them, and general redraw problems. ALso floating windows like the channel strip all have the same less than professional feature- resizing them still doesn’t resize them- the windows just get bigger and full of empty space. I’ve seen other programs where the contents of the windows scale to their size.

I know these aren’t critical but they do interfere with work and are a cause of irritation.

Let me know if you’re experiencing the same thing and a list could be put together to send to Flavio.

no cents

There have 50 views but no replies?

I see. I think people are waiting for me to post some of those GUI bugs.

I’ll uninstall 3.x and install 4 and start a small list, but everyone else has to help out.

nocents

OK. First one:

1) Undocking the channel strip and docking it against the eq/compressor window and back again a few times causes the strip to maximize. There are also graphic artefacts left before this happens (re-docking the strip works the first few times, but there are pieces of the strip still remaining on screen). The workaround to get things back to normal that I could figure out was to reset all the preferences.

2) The channel strip window can literally be shrunk to a point. This doesn’t do anythimg useful though it can be confusing because the 3 windows buttons disappear ad al you have is either a line or dot than be slid back to normal.

Some suggestions:

1) In timeline view, a volume and panning knob could be added on the left side where the treacks have there mute, solo, record button. There is lots of empty space in there and this configuration (vol + pan, mute, solo, rec) is what most multitrack programs use because its convenient since there is no need to have a full mixer window open and switch beween windows. This keeps the screen from getting cluttered.

2) Window conent resizing- none of the windows in Ntrack (as far as I know) resize contents. You just get a channel strip sitting by itself in a big empty window. Same with the mixer. Resizing allows you sto still see everything while minimizing the space taken up by a unneccessarily large window.

3) Double clicking pan or volume should reset them to unity gan and center channel. All the other programs have it and it saves time.

4) The channel strip should have a very long throw fader. The resizing option helps but it we don’t need everything to get larger- just a long throw fader.

I think these things are important and if there are enough of them they take away from the experience of using the program so they should be taken seriously.

no cents

What’s the channel strip? (Sorry)

The strip next to where the track list is (where record options, etc. are) that, depending on your setting in the channel strip connection controls at the bottom of the screen (which the latest version can hide, but I haven’t downloaded it yet), will show the mixer control for which ever track is selcted. It can also display master channel, an instrument channel, etc. I actually find it pretty helpful when I am just making minor adjustments and don’t want to open the complete mixer control.

fish

Oh, and I would suggest (if it isn’t in the latest version), that you should be able to not only remove the channel strip buttons, but rearrange and move them to other parts of the screen. Also, I find the way the buttons on the track bar (record, mute, etc.) can be adjusted to not move intuitively. I have to make that strip rediculously huge to be able to see and control all of the avaliable buttons correctly. but that is me.

Quote (savingedmund @ Sep. 20 2004,14:34)
Oh, and I would suggest (if it isn't in the latest version), that you should be able to not only remove the channel strip buttons, but rearrange and move them to other parts of the screen. Also, I find the way the buttons on the track bar (record, mute, etc.) can be adjusted to not move intuitively. I have to make that strip rediculously huge to be able to see and control all of the avaliable buttons correctly. but that is me.

Some of that funtionaliy has been there since ver 3.3. Right click the strip and go to properties. You can add and remove some things.

I’m talking about the new channel strip control buttons that are at the bottom of the screen that were added in v4 to go with the docked channel strip that control what is viewed in the channel strip. The latest build will take them off, but I want to move, resize, etc.

fish

I agree about the channel strip buttons, so I’d add to GUI suggestions:

5) Allow full functionality of moving, arranging, docking channel strip buttons that the transport button set has.

I know this is not a core issue, but new buttons and fader knobs would seem to be a reasonable request at this point. I remeber reading on the old board about people who had made button sets for N-track so if you know of anyone please ask them to post a link to these buttons.

no cents

You may want to ask some people on the forum over at Audiominds.com about those buttons.
I think those responsible for that little project post more there now.
(could be wrong)

Jow

It’s the Mixer Strip. (Sorry…Channel Strip has me scratching my head)

You can set the size of the contents by right clicking on the mixer. That’s sort of what you are asking for, but it’s not a relative resizing based on window size, and it affects all views that show the mixer channels, instead of having each on individually resizable. I don’t think what you are asking for is unreasonable at all. It might be expected in a higher priced package.

I did get a few graphic non-redraws when moving things around and resizing them. That’s always been a bit of a problem, but it’s never cause major issues. The whole way the contents of the mixer windows get scrolled seems a bit funky, but nothing that a manual scroll can’t fix easily…though it would be nice not to HAVE to scroll things into view or do something that forces a full redraw.

but it's not a relative resizing based on window size, and it affects all views that show the mixer channels, instead of having each on individually resizable. I don't think what you are asking for is unreasonable at all. It might be expected in a higher priced package.

Exactly and I'm glad you think its not unreasonable.

though it would be nice not to HAVE to scroll things into view or do something that forces a full redraw.

Exactly. I know that was a problem in 3 but the redraws in 4 are worse and can be annoying.

If we had the relative resizing as you describe it there would be much less scrolling.

If you have any other ideas pleas post them up. The more the better!

no cents
Quote (phoo @ Sep. 22 2004,14:55)
It's the Mixer Strip. (Sorry...Channel Strip has me scratching my head)

You can set the size of the contents by right clicking on the mixer. That's sort of what you are asking for, but it's not a relative resizing based on window size, and it affects all views that show the mixer channels, instead of having each on individually resizable. I don't think what you are asking for is unreasonable at all. It might be expected in a higher priced package.

I did get a few graphic non-redraws when moving things around and resizing them. That's always been a bit of a problem, but it's never cause major issues. The whole way the contents of the mixer windows get scrolled seems a bit funky, but nothing that a manual scroll can't fix easily...though it would be nice not to HAVE to scroll things into view or do something that forces a full redraw.

Phoo could see some improvements in the GUI part of v4, but do other users?

If you think this is an issue, weigh in. I won't bother with a list of bugs & suggestions if no one is interested.

no cents