marshall

What’s the least expensive Marshall that actually sounds like a Marshall?

This one I think

Quote: (teryeah @ Dec. 17 2011, 1:00 PM)

This one I think

that's what I came up with, as well. Any experience with it? The reviews are on the whole good, FWIW.

No, I haven’t heard it in real life, just the usual demovids, reviews & online testimonies from owners.

Since I’ve had my Marshall since '82, I chose another path :cool:

Quote: (teryeah @ Dec. 17 2011, 3:08 PM)

No, I haven't heard it in real life, just the usual demovids, reviews & online testimonies from owners.

Since I've had my Marshall since '82, I chose another path
:cool:

yeah, those look cool. My little amp is one of these:

http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-quarter-watt.htm

So, I went to guitar satan, and checked out the little Marshall, and it does sound like a little Marshall, very nice. No gain/master combination. It starts out clean at lowish volumes, and distorts as you turn it up. It's a great tube sound, and not at all like my other amps. The selling price is 399 USA dollars, but the nice fellow at the Satan said he'd do it for $350. Which, oddly, is exactly the amount of money I have to spend on myself, to help the global economy recover. Hmm...

Congratulations :laugh:

Well, it’s a loud little sucker. Tone is very good for a little guy. Gonna write some songs now. :agree:

Loud? :)
5 tubulator watts are a LOT more than most people think.
Which is why I sold my Victoria 5112 and bought the Nano instead.
Not that they’re comparable, but still…
My tinnitus will thank me.

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 17 2011, 6:56 PM)

to help the global economy recover.

Hmm...

I'm gonna do my bit:-)

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-....E22

Cool, Tony.

This Marshall has very minimal controls, but has a “headphone” switch on the back for headphones that can also be run to the speaker, at 50 mW. It does not sound like an actual power soak to me, it sounds like some of the circuit is actually bypassed, but it is good nonetheless.

I have to say that they did wonders with the 10 inch speaker. It does not sound like a 10 inch speaker.

The external speaker out requires a 16 ohm speaker. Is that normal for Marshalls?

Hmm. Perhaps it is a power soak. Somebody explain the manual to me:

Quote:

2. Headphones Output Jack
This is the output used to feed a standard
commercial set of headphones.
The signal here is derived from the speaker
output with added filtering in order to include
the power amp and output transformer's
contribution to the overall tone.
A 16Ω dummy load is connected across the
headphone output to maintain the correct
‘reflected' impedance for the power amp.

So, I tried the amp with every pedal effect I own, and I find that I just don’t like pedals any more. They change the sound too much.

dont much care for marshalls, went mesa a few years back and haven’t looked back.

I know a lot of the big 80’s metal bands swear by them,
but I heard some of their rigs they have something like an ADA in the back and all those marshall stacks in the front are just daisy chained together without a marshall head driving them.

I always thought they were a bit noisy for recording especially if you are using 70’s fenders that have their own noise in the pickups, ok for metal and other loud sounds were the signal to noise ratio is overcome, but not so hot for clean sounds.

dontcare

Well, Jeremy, you know me, a big 80s metal hair band dude. :) That said, I can;t afford that mesa stuff.

Yeah, that’s how I feel about the Hughes & Kettner and the Soldano stuff (not the stuff they sell in the online store but the custom heads they make for Big $$$ artist) has really impressed me, so as with many things in life I settle for Mesa.

I am so particular about having the right tool for the right tho, that I will literally sell 10 other tools I have laying around collecting dust to afford the one I want at the time, get-r-done.
I have an ADA too, but as they get older they need work, and I just don’t have time right now to get that beast up to par prolly gonna sell it before that happens…saving up and selling things off for a H&K Switchblade right now, because I do love program-ability.
:agree:

80’s hair bands RULE!
:laugh:

dontcare

You have a bit of the 80s hair band metal man in you, Jeremy! And…somehow “settle” and “Mesa” don’t really go together very well. :(

well ones mans bench mark is another mans settle…

I can’t honestly say it was a “settle” at the time…but I’m settling for it for now if one can appreciate the difference.
but seriously, there’s always going to be something better around the corner, but unless I get an endorsement by one of these companies that distance around the corner might as well be around the world.
:heart-break: tee hee

I’m really impressed by the switchblades versatility…but all I can do is admire it from a distance at this point.

dontcare

HI GUYS ! HEY, TERYEAH…I SPENT ABOUT HALF AN HOUR READING THE PROMOS ON THAT FIRST LINK OF YOURS…I’M STILL CHUCKLING OVER ALL THE RESPONSES, AND NOW I’M FREAKING LAUGHING OUT LOUD AT THE BACK AND FORTH GOING ON WITH Y’ALL !! I HAVEN’T HAD SO MUCH FUN SINCE NEW YEAR’S EVE WHEN I HAD A ‘LOBSTER RITA’ AND GOT SORTA SILLY :p YOU HAD TO BE THERE…LOL !!

I’M SAYING THAT I AM SO GLAD I CAME HERE TO THE FORUMS. IT’S TOO MUCH FUN AND I MIGHT OVERLOAD ON THIS !!

we are a crazy bunch of misfits and mainstream outcast :laugh:

but a more loving bunch of witty banter never shall ye find :agree:

jerm :cool: