Mastering Software

MAGIX have it sewn up

so youve finished your masterpiece, youve got a “DEAL” but your CD has now to be “MASTERED” - what software do the mastering engineers use and why ? -

the link below will take you to a very interesting poll on the PROSOUND web site (home of some of the greatest mastering engineers)

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/23644/0/

for those who have never heard of MAGIX and their flagship DAW SEQUOIA go here -

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/uebersicht.html

SEQUOIA is software for the GODS, Samplitude is for DEMI-GODS - MORTALS need not apply -

Dr J

If you’re a po’ boy like me, you can taste Magix goodness with Samplitude Music Studio 14 Deluxe. LINKY It retails for about 80 bucks and has everything including the kitchen sink and extra dish rags. I have had it for a couple of weeks now and haven’t time to dig into it real good yet. It looks and “feels” great so far… It runs on the older Samplitude 32 bit audio engine where-as Samplitude 9 (or 10?) upped the ante to 64 bit. If you’re not using any 64 bit FX or VSTi plugs though… who cares?

My big kick out of it so far, is the friggin’ awesome MIDI tools. Wow… just wow… good stuff.

D

i have a soft spot for MAGIX software - i have music maker10 and movie edit 11 - VFM and quailty or what ? -

if you get a few minutes read the posts in the link - its very interesting to see how the mind of the mastering engineer, fed on MANA and breathing only the pureist air so afforded by the height of the ivory tower that supports thier studio (and of course filled to brim with EGO) thinks -

Dr J

I think youse guys fell into the catnip patch or sumptin.

Quote: (TomS @ Jun. 27 2008, 7:24 PM)

I think youse guys fell into the catnip patch or sumptin.

I don't like cats... or catnip. What the heck IS catnip anyway? Dehydrated mice?

D

first you have to grow a lot of lavender, then you have to set up a few hives for you specially trained bees (trained to only bring back the best pollen) that makes the most beautiful flavoured honey -

when the bees have perfected their honey, you venture across to your organic vine and take off a bunch of the ripest red grapes -

one then covers the grape with the lavender honey and dip it into a glass of vintage champagne - put champagne soaked grape in mouth and fall faint with ectasy -

Dr J

Hi Gents:

How is it that Magix is so positioned to be at the Apex of Mastering Applications ? …

What I noticed over on the ProSound Board was the Graph of what is popular and used for Mastering, but made no reference to who uses what application for their end use…

I’ll bring just this one brand-name into the reply…

If I remember …
it was way back in the early-to-mid '90’s that SADIE was at the top of the list as to that was the software you used to master your projects…
It was a “TurnKey” application…
You had to buy into the suite… Hardware-and-Software…
I stand corrected…
Did it cost some 12 -15 Grand ???? back then…
On the ProSound list of mastering software it stands at some 3% in terms of present users that use SADIE…
There’s a local in-dependant here that bought into it (SADIE) back then and I believe he still uses that setup…

I remember back then that all the potential buyers attended the SADIE’s Sales Rep PITCH Seminar…
I think it was only the one guy from this Market Area, that bought into SADIE back then…
Maybe, one other guy…

Mastering, around here was mostly done in the Analogue Domain…
Well, that’s what I seem to remember…

So, what is it that makes MAGIX…
an 80.00 application…
the software that you Master your Projects…
with…
Anyway…
????

What is IT that MAGIX has that n-Track doesn’t have…
?

I’m attempting to get some dialogue going on this Thread/Topic…

Bill…

Samplitude has mastering compressor that is so good that some buy the app for that alone (thats
£650 in the UK) - Sequoia is fast becoming the STANDARD DAW for European broadcasting stations (
£3000 approx)-

Sadie west down earlier this year, but has since been rescued, looks like its best days are long over as Pyramix (another turnkey app) which is BIG in the video editing world is taking over -

from my own experience with Magix software, in comparison with N, well Magix just does it everytime, no will it wont it crash - Magix makes you feel ay home straighr away - clean un-complicated screen, excellent effects and the ability to produce quality audio and stunning videos for DVDs all in one package and all without any fuss, you just throw the video at a track then throw audio at another - you dont have to take care with what goes where, it just works - their low end audio app has a vast range of video affects included and a shop where more can be downloaded from, the ability to fire it up and do a CD one day and a DVD the next, same ap[plication, same screen, same everything, total intregration -

Magix offer a complete one stop service at all levels - easy to learn easy to use, and you get outstanding results with very little effort -

Dr J

Bill that 80 buck app I mentioned is Magix “hobbyist” app. Even at that though it is a very nice app. The mastering tools included are NOT the same as in the full blown, multi-thousand dollar versions. (Samplitdue 10, Sequoia)

D

O.K.

As I browsed their pages, I began to realize that their stuff could run you into thousands of dollars…

I can remember RADAR Wayne and I would chin-wag on the subject matter on the cost of Do-Able Audio Gear…

We came up with the answer to our thoughts…

If something didn’t OPEN at the Thousand Dollar amount it just didn’t meet the criteria of being any good to to audio, with…

Bill…