Mastering tutorial links?

Hey guys, i am curious to find a free mastering tutorial out there for me. I have an old album i never mastered and would like to give it a go. I realize there’s nothing like actually doing it, but hints and such would help.

Also, what kind of software do i need to do this. Will the latest version of N-track do?

Google up “Izotope Mastering Guide”.

Eh… phooey… HERE ya’ go…

It has some good info that’s not necessarily specific to the Izotope products.

D

Quote (Diogenes @ Aug. 18 2006,23:17)
Google up "Izotope Mastering Guide".

Eh... phooey... HERE ya' go...

It has some good info that's not necessarily specific to the Izotope products.

D

thanks dio----pretty good stuff! :)

What a great link Diogenes…

There’s some good reading in there… We should all read this and then do a 20 page essay on what we absorbed, in there, while we wait for v5.x hehe…

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ Aug. 20 2006,05:03)
What a great link Diogenes…

There’s some good reading in there… We should all read this and then do a 20 page essay on what we absorbed, in there, while we wait for v5.x hehe…

Bill…

i know thats right…

and hey, here’s even more STUFF! http://www.diplo.co.uk/music/mastering.php

i love helping answer my own question :D

O.K. I’m creating a “Mastering Audio Folder”. Thanks for that great UK link… I have other ones (links) here on these drives I have laying around. I have yet to come accross any links that point me to finding these “Interns” that are so nessessary to have when a working studio has to log all this stuff that gets forgotten about from project-to-project. And, who cleans up the hamburger wrappers and pizza boxes up after the smoke clears? and the “Blues Guys” runs outta beer? and whatever else they do?? And the place goes “Quiet”??

As a matter of fact… There’s a local Blues Stage that is interested in working on a project… We are discussing how to tackle this project… There’s a Southern Blues Harp Player in-and-around these parts … He’s causing quite a stir in the Blues Scene, around here… Who knows… We might get some Magic Tracks, before the snow flies…

I have so much ongoing maintenance to do around here… and it’s a nessessary part of keeping a studio up-and-running…

Is there such a thing as a “Reading” intern? Someone who can read all these reports and stay current with all this reading? :O ??? :laugh:

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ Aug. 21 2006,18:47)
O.K. I'm creating a "Mastering Audio Folder". Thanks for that great UK link.. I have other ones (links) here on these drives I have laying around. I have yet to come accross any links that point me to finding these "Interns" that are so nessessary to have when a working studio has to log all this stuff that gets forgotten about from project-to-project. And, who cleans up the hamburger wrappers and pizza boxes up after the smoke clears? and the "Blues Guys" runs outta beer? and whatever else they do?? And the place goes "Quiet"??

As a matter of fact.. There's a local Blues Stage that is interested in working on a project.. We are discussing how to tackle this project.. There's a Southern Blues Harp Player in-and-around these parts .. He's causing quite a stir in the Blues Scene, around here.. Who knows.. We might get some Magic Tracks, before the snow flies..

I have so much ongoing maintenance to do around here.. and it's a nessessary part of keeping a studio up-and-running..

Is there such a thing as a "Reading" intern? Someone who can read all these reports and stay current with all this reading? :O ??? :laugh:

Bill..

where's you and your studio at? what kinda studio ya got? are those samples in your sig? i've seen ya on here before wox just don't know your particulars....

ahh heck, just show me your website.... :cool:

Hi jwgeetar:
There was this place in New Jersey that I had hosting my page… All was fine till I had to re-new the Space and Domain name. The hosts and I never exchanged any mail all the while I had the space posted for public viewing. At renewal time my VISA account was automatically debuted and the same day GoDaddy parked my space and removed the link… I tried to repair it and correct the issue but I found I couldn’t talk to a real person regarding the issues that surrounded getting the link /domain name fixed. I know very little about how all this works… I can only think that whoever “Hacked” my domain wants me to pay more for the public access to the space I have then what I’m prepared to pay for it…

My “Rant” over this isn’t quite finished…

It’s easy to search for another domain name, but for me there are “Principals-in-the-Matter”… and ICCAN and the sellers of Domain Names and Hosting Space are each-other… (governed by themselves) and, are, one-in-the same… I spent a week trying to understand how this works and I mulled through all the legal pre-ambel and still didn’t understand why it happened to me. I’m not prepared to waste any more time and pay any more money, to them, (the domain holders) for what I think is “Public Domain/Properity” after the American Military vacated IT… SO THERE…

That’s the little bit that I know about it…

" Rant " over…

Sorry for all you guys that know more about this than I do, and that you have to tolerate the “Bad Taste”, I have, in my mouth, over this, and how this matter has left me, … in…

To answer your questions… I am a “Bluenoser” and live here on Canada’s East Coast… What a great place for the kids coming along to surround themselves with any kind of music that takes their interest…

Who, of them, doesn’t want to have their music heard if that’s what they want?

So, this place/studio’s specialty is producing “Bed Tracks” “Demo Tracks”, that become the “Ghost Tracks” for the finished product that get completed in the major tracking studios/centers, around North America… A lot of it just gets lost along the way-side… Hey… That happens everywhere and all the time, in little studios like this one… At times… a lot of the ideas that get worked-on here end up making a pocket full of money for other people… It seems that I hear a lot of the stuff (musical ideas) that gets worked on here, ends up getting “Air Play” … Who knows where these ideas started or came from? Parallel Projects happen, all the time…

If you don’t want your material heard… don’t record it and don’t post it…

I’d have to describe my interest as being on the technical side of the creative process, as opposed to the music side of the process… But where lies the boundaries of creating music?

Music that takes one’s interest centers in the ears of the listener…

I have a way of getting, Off Topic… Don’t I… :O ???

Bill…

you rock bill,

yea, i’m a late bloomer to the web hosting/domain crap to. except i’ve weasled my way into a desktop support position and do computer contract work…(nobody else will hire a half-washed up wino musician :p ). i degress.

i pay $9.95 monthly to get space (bandwidth and storage) to host all my little internet thingys. mainly for my one page website. it’s probably overkill but centralize’s everything so i can find it. and hey----i can upload more useless pictures,songs and garbage than the trash man.

bill, you can always get a free Myspace site like mine. AND a free forum like mine at jwweir.com. (remember–they’re free) neither one of those are contained in my webhosting package soooooo, like i say…webhosting is overkill at times.

now where was i—oh yea, i am soaking up this mastering stuff to maybe give it a shot before too long. i am really on the creative end of the music spectrum—so i have to really kick start that other side of my noggin with a 2x4 at times. :O

i’d rather pay someone but i haven’t won the Texas lotto yet… ???

Wow – that Izotope guide is remarkable! Well written, easy to understand, and full of great information. I have always been pretty mystified by the whole mastering concept. I just read through the Izotope manual and I feel like I finally understand what mastering is. and how to go about doing it myself. Not bad for a free download!

Now I have to save up for Ozone… :(