MAXTRAX

Hi Diogenes:

I don’t know if I say anything in my earlier post where I think this might be a “BUG”.
A “BUG” to me means some issue with an application that needs attention to by a change in the code’ing to get some issue to work…
OR, to get the application to return to normal or intended operation…

Quote:

Bill,

The meter/fader bug? I get to see that one in other hosts too. Don’t sweat it Flavio will sort it out. I once loaded a test project in another DAW and went to adjust the settings on a ‘native’ plugin. “That’s weird…” I thought “How can the output be 1158.6 dB!” LOL!

D

If other multi-track editors have this feature I wouldn’t know… I don’t use any other editors over here…

I’m reporting what I see-and-hear…

If Flavio goes in there and changes something with the Meter/Fader operation … as it is now and in build 2308… I’d see that as something that would be “Counter Productive” to the way n-Track responds to normal operation…

What this does, is…
Leaves the door open to another adjustment that can be utilized by the user in the config. Panel…

That’s in my opinion…
Of Course…

I don’t configure the n-Track “Desk” that I know of-and-use, like any other user does…
Those are all settings in the n-Track config. Panel that allows each user to adjust… to suit his-or-her personal tastes…

Well…

I see this Meter/Fader config. as a newly discovered feature that I can incorporate in my use of n-Track… If this has been there for some time, I have only learned of it sense Doc J brought it to my attention…
After confirming it’s operation and use, with Doc J, I see several ways that this can be used to benefit me during mix and render sessions… using n-Track…

Hi Guitar69…
You owe the time it takes you to try this out and come back here a post a reply to this thread to let other n-Track users hear what you see-and-hear from your exercise…
rather than take the word of other users of this idea…

Bill…

Now I think I get it -
You’re just saying you can run your audio
maybe (+18 - 22db) hotter and the compressor will
tame it to 0 db level.
Sorry for the misunderstand.
I thought you were implying you could compress to
a higher than 0 db level with no consequences.

:whistle:

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 24 2007, 11:24 PM)

Re: Diogenes
Can you imagine listening to Little Feet comp'd to the max?
Or Greatful Dead? Don't have to be TOO loud - just have to be good. :whistle:

Little Feat comp'd out, that's blasphemous! LOL!

Dixie Chicken becomes Southern Brick, no no no no....... :(

I believe that’s the gist of it 7 O’ 11. The “goal” is to increase the perceived loudness across the entire frequency spectrum of the track. Sadly, the big record companies want their CD’s to be as LOUD as possible. I don’t know how wise that is because it has definitely turned this ol’ boy OFF.

My son brought home a CD of a CCM artist that he and I both enjoy. Well about a third of the way through the second song, I found I was getting “irritated” by the mixes “in your face to the max smash comp factor”. Curious, I ripped the song from CD into Adobe Audition to examine the waveform. Guess what it looked like? Yep a solid bar of color from one end to the other. Everything was totally flat-topped. No wonder it sounded like poo and got my nerves on edge.

My son asked if I wanted the CD. I said, “Umm… no thanks you can keep it and I’ll listen to it when I want.” He’s a good boy.

There’s a reason I listen to mostly indie music off the net these days and it’s not because I’m a cheap skate.

D

Don’t smash your music. Keep some life, space and dynamics in it.

Please excuse my ignorance - I am clicking on anything that looks like a VU meter, but I can’t find what you are talking about. What, where is thw MAIN OUTPUT VU METER? I can find a Master VU, but that does not give me a menu like you are talking about.

“when you have found that track, insert it into the timeline - DO NOT OPEN THE “TRACK” MIXER leave it set to default 0db in the background -

NOW RIGHT CLICK IN THE MAIN OUTPUT VU METER - select CLIP and do this - UNTICK everything EXCEPT “MAX LOAD” and “SOFT CLIPPING” these are the only two ticks on the panel - OK -”

WILL TRY AGAIN TO GET SCREENSHOT TO DISPLAY -

DrJ

NO GO - stupid AOL takes your pictures but only sends back a thumbnail -

BAX3 - if you have a graphics viewer PM me with your e-meil address and i will attach screenshots of before and after tracks with VU meter panel open and frequency graph for before and after treatment -

Dr J

Hi Doc,

I use Photobucket.com for image hosting. It’s pretty much pain free and easy to use.

Maybe check it out.

D

track 1
= original track
track 2 = after treatment + VU meter panel - LINK BELOW

http://members.lycos.co.uk/woxnerw…-2.jpeg

HAR-BAL frequency graphs - LINK BELOW

http://members.lycos.co.uk/woxnerw…01.jpeg

“D” Thanks for the info on photobucket
- Bill hosted the above - although its nice to have images directly in the topic there seems to be a limit to the size that images are displayed at when using the add image feature in post, the images when shown are very small and show no definition at all - supplying just the links show the whole image at full definition when opened -

Dr J

Hmmm… lemme try something…

Yep. It seems the board software is scaling the image. The above should be full 1280 x 1024 and sharp as a tack. Oh well… can’t say we didn’t try! :)

D

EDIT: Right-clicking the image and choosing “View Image” opens it in larger, sharper format in an additional browser window. I’m using FireFox but it should do the same in IE I would think?

heres the last link in the chain - courtesy of www.photobucket.com

this screenshot LINK BELOW shows the treated waveform at very high magnificatain -

as i think you will see, there is no “flat toping” of the waveform, and it is not compressed to hell as surmised - the overall effect of this treatment is basicly the same as increasing the volume of your monitors - i can detect no loss of AIR or spaciousness in the instruments and vocals against the original -

LINK -

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/eurodog6/myscreenshot-8.jpg

if the waveform looks strange to you it is because i have INTERPOLATE turned on at high magnification -

Dr J

In IE right clicking will give the Save Picture As… option. The image save is 800*640. It’s not the full scale image, but it’s larger than shown.

If any one has images that want to post (and don’t want to or can’t use something like photobucket) PM me and I’ll respond directly so you can send them to me. I’ll put them in a folder on phootoons…maybe even make a folder you can upload to directly (I’ll need to send the user name and password of course).

Hi Doc: J:

I’m surprised that those links I sent over to you didn’t produce an image here on the Board.
I’ll see if I can post them here…

I will quote the text on your post to see if I can replecate your earlier post…
I know it isn’t the same as
but…

Quote:

track 1
= original track
track 2 = after treatment + VU meter panel - LINK BELOW

http://members.lycos.co.uk/woxnerw…-2.jpeg

HAR-BAL frequency graphs - LINK BELOW

<a href="http://members.lycos.co.uk/woxnerw…01.jpeg
" onclick=“window.open(this.href,’_blank’);return false;”>http://members.lycos.co.uk/woxnerw…01.jpeg[/QUOTE]

Bill…

[EDIT]
Thanks phoo… my server host space is not the same as yours… Maybe, someday I’ll have a real space with no constraints… It was close this summer… But I haven’t sprung for the real host storage space yet… Sorry n-Track users…

thanks Bill, as you can see they do show in the board but not at full size - the links you supplied work great, good image resolution from that server -

Phoo - using WIN 2K - if i save as, (as WIN 2k has no inbuilt graphics program), when i try to open the saved image in Corel PhotoPaint it always displays a cannot open error, copy and paste does not work either - the returned image resolution from Photobucket is down on the original, not by much, i think they jpeg the jpeg’s to save server space - also i am on AOL which uses IE but in an AOL framework so it works differently to the standard IE -

i hope people take up your offer to host for them, maybe you should start a new topic on it so that those who may miss this thread can take advantage of it - it would be invaluable when trying to decipher what problems someone has -

Dr J

Hi Gents:

I didn’t post any images that I shared with Doc J. on earlier examination and work we did on on the original ideas we shared…
But I have these print screens that I’ll post to give you some idea of how I approached this project…It may help broaden the concept of what goes on with the " Repro Meter Bypass" configuration, that I describe and how I understand this proceedure/presentation to work…

I need to upload the images to be able to link to them to present the approach and Repro Meter config. as I used MAXTRAX idea…
Then I’ll upload the files as mp3 compressions so it’ll give you an analogue likeness of the wave files that were produced using this process…

I always come back to this point as I attempt to understand the reasoning/concept…

If any of you are interested in the approach I took on this project I’ll post the print screens and text of how I see this, later on today…

Bill…

Hi n-Track posters/Users:

I have to ask what maximum resolution this board will accept as one-to-one jepg’s to point to…
I’ll post the images as the maximum image it’ll handle…
Then we may get that image appearing with no compressions…

I’m constraining the images I post up here to save server/storage space and upload time as well…
I have a Modem-and-Dial-up…
So all this is hurting me in Stereo…

Bill…

WOXNERW and Dr J

Everything works as you say.
Did it and mixed down - OK
Since I have Multiple Master Outs,
I can clone a track send it to a different out with a taylored (MAX) Handy for 5.1
My question is -
Is it known what parameters are in play (ratio/threshhold)
when you do it this way?
Obviously there must be some settings plugged in when
you select MAX LOUD.

Again - sorry for the earlier confusion

PhotoPaint reports that the screenshots taken by windows print screen is displayed back at 96dpi - the original size is width 304.8mm (1152 pixels) x height 228.6mm (864 pixels) using jpeg compression of 4-2-3 -

Dr J

Thank You Doc J:

I’ll take future images to that pixel size to see how the images behave with the ikonBoard…

Usually, and with the modem-and-dial up I have here I’ve taken the pixel size to 800 x 600…
when the are compressed to that size the pixel image is in fact 800 x 608 in size.

Hi sevenOfeleven:

That’s a nice/interesting question…
It might be something that Flavio can answer or respond to…
As much as I know,
and the config. I use here I’d have to say NO…
unless there’s some mathematical constraints to some coding that happens to the signal path-and-processes with-in n-Track…

Bill…

p.s.

This has opened the “Door” to a number of ideas that have plagued me sense I bought the Bob Katz… Mastering Audio Book
The Art and the Science …
I’ve had this book for several years now…
I used to read it whenever I wasn’t doing something in the studio…
I’d read a few pages and put it down…
Then I’d read the same few pages again when I picked it up…
and before I put it down again…
I went on like that for several years…
or all the while I had it…

Now,
I keep it in the bathroom by the Crapper…
I really get upset if I don’t see it there, and wonder where it may have gone…