Message In A Bottle

Punked up version

Any comments on Message In A Bottle. The drums need a bit of work as they come from a DR550 and I’d like to do them using sampled drums at some point.

Interesting version but the vocals are a little too interesting for my tastes, and too dominant in the mix.

Please don’t hate me :)

Thanks for the comments - I also think that the vocals are too forward, but everyone who heard it told me to put them further forward - so I’ll go with my first impressions more in future.

Scr*w ‘everyone’. Use commercial releases you like as a reference, and check while mixing. At least I lose my perspective pretty quickly while tweaking buttons and making things different. Different does not equal better. Not around here. No Siree…

:)

Quote (teryeah @ Sep. 17 2004,19:13)
Scr*w 'everyone'. Use commercial releases you like as a reference, and check while mixing. At least I lose my perspective pretty quickly while tweaking buttons and making things different. Different does not equal better. Not around here. No Siree...

:)

I totally agree, go with your first impressions. Song sounds great but vocals are too dominate for me. Losing perspective is my biggest problem, but have learned to stop, walk away, take a break, feed the dog, kick the cat, anything so I don't over-do my mixes...so easy to second guess a mix into oblivion. (Wife says ANAL-MIXDOWN in progress)
Quote (jmccullo @ Sep. 17 2004,18:58)
Thanks for the comments - I also think that the vocals are too forward, but everyone who heard it told me to put them further forward - so I'll go with my first impressions more in future.

You can always make a couple of different mixes and demo bits of each to your mates. This one has a good start to it, but seems like it needs a few finishing touches to make it really shine.

In terms of finishing touches - I was thinking about double tracking the vocals on all of the choruses (having turned them down). Do you think that this would work? Any other bright ideas?

Ta John

I thought the mix could use more bottom end and you already mentioned reworking the drums, which alone can make a big difference. From a performance standpoint, I thought the singer overarticulated some and her timing is a little loose here and there. The guitar sounds great and the song choice is excellent. That one is a personal favorite. Good luck. Hopefully you can get some more suggestions here.

The tune, Good.
Somehow I see the vocals fitting with a solo acoustic rendition of the song, but in the context of this version…no. The instruments are fast, dark, and high-energy. The vocals are squeaky-clean, bright and perky. Sort of “Julie Andrews meets Thin Lizzy”… I also can’t help but compare it to the original—I wonder how much it is coloring my opinion?

Score:
Music-Great
Vocal- not

Peace,
-Ed