Meters issue with Zoom R16

Strange Recording Meter Display

Hi,

I just received a Zoom R16 recorder and have been trying to get it to work with the latest version of n-track. The MME and WDM drivers seem to mostly generate errors and playback using them is very iffy. Clearly, the ASIO drivers would be the normal choice anyway but the recording meters do not work correctly. Chanels 1, 3, 5 and 7 show a relatively high output (~35 dB) while the even channels just show typical noise levels (~75 dB). The odd channels also indicate severe clipping but recordings seem to be just fine. The meters in the Zoom do not show this pattern and correspond with what is on the recording. The firmware for this recorder has been updated and I am using the latest stable release of n-track. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks in advance,

Kal

Interesting…

Hi keltickal:

Can the Zoom R16 save the recorded files as “.wav 44.100 KB. files”
?
If so, can they be transferred to you computer’s hard drive(s)?

If they can be, what are the “Properties” of the files that the R16 recorder creates?

Interesting…

I have a Zoom H-2 hand-held Recorder… It creates .wav files to SD Media storage drives…
Not sure about the R16 Recorder…

Still thinking ????

Bill…

Interesting…

Hi keltickal:

Can the Zoom R16 save the recorded files as “.wav 44.100 KB. files”
?
If so, can they be transferred to you computer’s hard drive(s)?

If they can be, what are the “Properties” of the files that the R16 recorder creates?

Interesting…

I have a Zoom H-2 hand-held Recorder… It creates .wav files to SD Media storage drives…
Not sure about the R16 Recorder…

Still thinking ???

Bill…
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. Please note that I am using the R16 as an audio interface and it seems to work well. I have not tried to save files on the flash drive yet but it is supposed to be able to do that. The recordings seem to be fine once I set up enough write buffering for ASIO. It had clicks and pops before I did that.

The problem is that the n-track recording meters do not work correctly. It is quite annoying but not fatal since the R16 meters work (only 4 LEDs/channel!).

Kal

Hi keltickal:

Back again…
If I didn’t know better, I’d seem to think that the issue you describe now has-or-might have to do with your computer’s/set-up ability to create .npk files correctly so n-Track can display the files on the timeline…

Have you been able to look at the properties of the Created Wave Files?

I wish I knew more about what I’m talkin about…

Maybe phoo could supply an answer to the issue you have…
That’s if he were around…

Bill…

HEY Cal,

Did you ever get this problem solved?

At the bottom of the recording VU meter when you click on it what does it say?

Zoom R16 ASIO driver Left channel/Zoom R16 ASIO Right channel

>Zoom R16 Asio Driver>
>Zoom ASIO driver 1>
>Zoom ASIO driver 2>
>Zoom ASIO driver 3>
>Zoom ASIO driver 4>
>Zoom ASIO driver 5>
>Zoom ASIO driver 6>
>Zoom ASIO driver 7>
>Zoom ASIO driver 8>

What OS did you say you were on? it wouldn’t by any chance be Vista would it?

There reason I ask is because a few of the drivers for portable recording devices did not make that transition very well, for the simple reason that the devices were already designed and running long before Vista came out leaving the companies to scramble to make Vista drivers which many of the first were shaky.
THe one positive thing I did read on the Zoom Website was that it was the same driver for Vista and XP which is a good indication that the Vista driver was not an aftermarket remedy but part of the original.

But I digress…

Anyway, when you make the Record VU meter real big you see that first DOT it could be gray or green, make sure it’s green, mine us usually displaying the first two mono tracks channel 1 being Left and Channel 2 being Right.

Now if I put all 8 VU meters on it splits them up the same way on each VU meter (16 mono channels left odd Right Even)

I don’t know if there is a way to summarize all the tracks on on VU meter for monitoring…but that would be something to take up with Flavio as making an option. :)

How many tracks are you recording at once? and which tracks VU meters are you watching as it records?

OR are you saying all 8 (or four) meters displaying 8 tracks are not showing any activity when sound is being put in on any channel?

Every now and then I like right click the bottom of the VU meter and switch my range to ~80db just to watch the little flutters at the bottom.

keep shinin

jerm :cool: