mic models

does anyone know these??

I might have asked this before, I don’t know. But does anyone know these mics listed with this plugin. If you were going to be given an ideal mic for vocals, but were limited to this list, which one would you chose, and why? Fun and helpful to me!

http://www352.pair.com/anttech/downloads/Mic_Modeler_manual.pdf

fish

I would check out www.audiominds.com BUT…For an overall mic…for the cheap…for a small room home studio…(if little mic experience fit into this equation) maybe a Shure sm58 would be a good bet.

I just used an AKG C414B for a project. It’s been around for a long time but still is a great mic. Along with the Neuman U87 (not on the Antares list) these two models meet many recording needs. Another mic from the list which is my personal favorite, is the Beyer M500, incorrectly listed as a condenser. It was a stage -worthy ribbon mic. It was a wonderful vocal mic, terrific on horns also.

no no. I have this plugin. I’m trying to see what models it has are good in the opinions of people here who might know them. I’m not using a mic modeler to model a sm58. :D

Actually it has a 87. It’s in the list of downloadable ones on another part of the website.

The Neuman m149, of course. Chuck Surack says so. :)

honestly, isn’t the answer dependent on the voice and matieral?

I’ve long wondered about that plug in. Most reviews say that what comes out isn’t quite what one might hope for. I suppose I should demo it. What is your impression of it, Savingedmund?

Well. It doesn’t make the mic sound like some great mic from the past. You can’t help that. It’s best used to clean up and warm up and brighten and overall better a mic sound. And you can probobly accomplish the task otherwise with various more conventional effects. But this does it really well in one clean shot. My mic isn’t on the modeled list at all. Not even close that I know anything about. My turner actually has a pretty distinct and fairly good sound for a 70’s dynamic in piss poor shape. So I do the version of the effect that mixes the original sound with like the 47 or something else with a nice warm and clean sound, and it cleans up my mic sound, while still leaving it all of the character it has already. perhaps I should upload a sample?

fish

Just record unprocessed, and use it during mixdown. Choose the model that sounds best for the vocalist and the song.

There is no single best mike for all vocalists, and often not even for a particular vocalist. Also, don’t expect this plugin to really make one mike sound like another. You can’t put in what isn’t there. For example, transient response is one of the critical aspects of a mike. If it ain’t there, you ain’t gonna get it with a plugin! And you can’t really remove distortion. Regardless, try different models and use whatever sounds best.

Things like this probably work the best when you use the most sensitive and responsive mike you have, so use an LD condenser if you have one. It’s more likely to be able to make a Neumann sound like an SM58 than vice versa!

Yeah, um, they don’t model crappy mics. Any of the mic models they modeled are top notch. The hard part is deciding which is best for a particular purpose. All you can do is flip through and find the ones that work best.

I know. I know. I was just curious if people have favs on this list. Especially if people have favs other than the models I was encorperating. I find myself using the 47 or the tele 47 a lot of the time. just thought it was interesting to get some comments on mics.

I've long wondered about that plug in. Most reviews say that what comes out isn't quite what one might hope for. I suppose I should demo it

I've used it to turn a 58 into a d112 on kick one time - and it came out surprisingly good. Dunno if it SOUNDED anythng like one, but it certainly worked in the context.

My choice of the actual mic to get out of the list, if it was the only mic I had, would be the Senn 441. I base this on experience with it as an all around good mic and for that I’d rather have it than a 57 or 58. I don’t particularly like those Shures on some things and I could usually make the 441 sound more like a 57 than a 57 like a 441. I’m also in the minority, but keep in mind that a 441 costs 4 times as much as a 57, so the bang for buck isn’t a consideration.

Based on all the microphone reviews I have read over the past several years, every mic has some good points and some bad points, except one. Every review I have read on the Rode NT1A has given it exceptional praise for sounding good on everything. This is surprising considering a bit of shopping will get you this mic for $170 to $199. Based on the great reviews, I got the Rode NT1A and am very satisfied with how my vocals sound on it.

As to using a modeler to make one mic sound like another, I agree that you can’t put in what is not there to begin with. I would see this plugin as merely a fancy equalizer. EQ should be used with caution because it introduces phase distortion. I rather use a mic that sounds as close as possible to the original sound without having to tweak it with EQ. Then I only apply slight EQ to get the sound to fit into the mix or fit the style of the song. Keep in mind that I only record country vocals over purchased background tracks, whereas other uses and styles of music may dictate much more tweaking to the original sound. In that case, mics are chosen for their particular coloration. I don’t want coloration and that’s why I was attracted to the Rode NT1A.

I’ve heard only good things from NT1-A owners. Sounds like it might be the best “first condensor”.

The modeler does quite a bit more than EQ, but I agree that it’s still basically an effect to give the mike a color and tone similar to the modeled mikes. Especially when using it with a good mike to begin with, you might get ideas about what mikes you might be interested in adding to your collection. Definitely worth a try!

I can’t speak for the quality or “realism” of the modeling of the device, but:

The Lawson 47LMP is a great mic. Someday I’ll own one, but the one I’ve heard is uber cool. Infinitely variable polar pattern too.

I have 2 Coles 4038’s and they regualrly get used for vocals. The original design was for BBC voice work. Kinda dark sounding they are, since they’re ribbons. Add some compression and feel the hair on your neck stand up.

The E/V PL20 is also a standard voice over mic. I’ve used the RE-20 a few times, and I’m sure the earlier version is at least as good.

I also have 2 Sony C38P’s. Not a lot of output on the real thing, but very flexible in terms of the roll off provided. It’s kind of a poor man’s Neumann 47FET. I like it much better for a guitar amp than vox, but I did see some video footage of Joni Mitchell singing into one. I know a female singer/songwriter who sounds great through this mic.

RCA BK5A is a fine choice for vocals. It’s kinda what it was designed for.

The Neumann TLM103 works great for my bass player’s voice, but not great for my guitarist’s voice. It can be “spitty”. It is my favorite snare mic though.

Don’t like vocals through the Earthworks TC30K. Bass from distance, yes. Room mic, big yes. Drum OH too. Not on vocals for me.

Seems like all of the Audio Technica 40xx series mics sound good in their own ways. The 3525 does too (though it’s a touch brighter than the 40xx series), plus it’s handy on guitars, and I usally pull it out first for banjo.

I own or have used about 1/3 of that list, but I figured the above are the standouts that I use most often…

Clava, you make us all green with envy. :)

I remember reading an interview with an EV mic engineer, and the PL series mostly was a repackaging of other mics, IIRC, with the exception of the PL76 and one other (can’t remember whci) - so the PL 20 essentially is the RE 20. But the PL series goes for less on Ebay. One of these days…

I’ve nto heard about the use of the coles for vocals, BTW, that is an interesting fact. Just curious, are they darker than an RCA 77? ???