Microphone shocking me...

Hi gang.

I’ve set up a band for a charity gig in two months time…
We practised for the first time yesterday and I kept getting some nasty shocks on my lips from the mic.

Someone suggested my guitar had something wrong with it?

I changed to a more expensive mic from the practise studio and the problem stopped, however it’s worried me a little after someone mentioned my guitar.

Should I bite the bullet and buy a wireless system for guitar or mic?
What could it be?
Cheers
Craig

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Oct. 19 2010, 4:57 PM)

Hi gang.

I've set up a band for a charity gig in two months time...
We practised for the first time yesterday and I kept getting some nasty shocks on my lips from the mic.

Someone suggested my guitar had something wrong with it?

I changed to a more expensive mic from the practise studio and the problem stopped, however it's worried me a little after someone mentioned my guitar.

Should I bite the bullet and buy a wireless system for guitar or mic?
What could it be?
Cheers
Craig

OH I used hate when that happened~!

The sad part about it is you have to finish the song and act like nothing is happening while your being fried!

In damp situations (of course your lips are damp)...and bad grounding...

Do you own a power conditioner?

I don't know if that would help, but I have not had it happen since I put two of them in my chains.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Thanks Jeremy, but no…I never heard of those…

Would that be a cheaper option than a wireless system?
Checked on ebay…the ones from the US are around
£100 but the UK ones seem to be around
£700…gulp!

Craig

The average price for a FURMAN brand is $50.

I don’t know there availability abroad, if I were in your neck of the woods tho I would look for a German brand.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Bill!?

Craig, with older amps especially that can be deadly, so don’t fool around with it. Usually it’s a polarity problem. More here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/forums…20shock

With Passive pickups the ground is not necessary, but conventional pickups must be grounded. Using sand paper make sure the ground wire is firmly attached (open back plate), this will prevent any shock. Although wet conditions will compromise this but not with passive pickups (like the EMG). On the subject of wireless, the line6 wireless Relay G30 is digital with almost no delay and is cheap and not UHF which is subject to interference. I bought one from Line6. It’s signal is so clean they added guitar cable simulation presets to emulate guitar cables of various lengths. Now thats cool in my books. If your hair stands up CHECK your connections…LOL!!!

PACO
P.S. Unknown1, Thank you for your dignity and your contribution’s to this forum. Love your avatar.

PACO

Here’s a link to the G30 I mentioned.

http://line6.com/relay/

PACO :laugh:

Thanks again guys…

So…if this is an electrical issue due to either my guitar or my microphone being ‘electrically attached’ to an amp…then would a wireless system on either guitar or mic solve the problem?

Craig

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Oct. 20 2010, 4:10 PM)

So...if this is an electrical issue due to either my guitar or my microphone being 'electrically attached' to an amp...then would a wireless system on either guitar or mic solve the problem?

Yes it would.

Yes it would, because of the physical break in the curcuit (not the one between the mic and your lips). But something isn’t grounding properly and needs sorting - usually not a big job to do once the prob is nailed but could be serious if not checked. Could be something as simple as a grotty connection in your amp’s mains plug earth, guitar pick-up/bridge grounding…
Check the site on my signature: Kevin Chilcott - Royal and Chilcott. He is ‘The Dog’s’…, Email him - tell him To sent you.
:laugh:

Excellent. Thanks guys.

Cool. I wish Bill would chirp-up on this one, though?

Where has Bill been the last couple of days?

Bill last visited 3:45 AM yesterday - must be working out in his studio.

I got many bad stories regarding improper grounding on this side of the Pond…
I don’t have much experience with 220/240 volt standards on your side of the Atlantic…
On this side of the Atlantic, our standard is 110-120 volts Ac…
and referred to as, Black-and-White Electrics…
The standard code on the Plug is Green-for-Ground
(Green Prong)

White-for-Common (Silver Prong)

and

Black-for-Line/Load
(Copper Prong)…
Adhering to this principal means that the AC Current is loaded in the Proper Phase…
No shocks should happen when following this CODE…
However, most electronic equipment manufactuered for music application has a Ground reversal switch that can reverse-or-lift the polarity of the AC Mains…
I’m not sure what the CODE Standards are for European and Australian Applications…

One way I used to protect the Front Musicians that complained about being electrocuted on their stage was…
To ensure that the Audio Stage Guys make sure that the mic cables were wired with NO Ground connected to their MALE/Microphone ends of their cables (pin Three) of the XLR Cable…
The GROUND was only referred to the SNAKE BOXES…
Not the Mic ENDS…

One story I heard was…
The Front man was introducing the Band/Stage members when his guitar accidentally touched the mic stand and he showered the stage with molten strings from his guitar…
Had his face touched the mic he would have stuck to the mic and burnt his face off…
BiG TiMe…

This is not accepted CODE, but it saves from being electrocuted, while entertaining your audience…

Trying to get proper AC Mains night-after-night at different venues is a real headache…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Thanks TomS…
I’m trying my best to recover from eye surgery…
All is going well…
However, I struggle from time-to-time…
The left eye is done… I’m waiting to get the right one done…
I might be able to see again, without Specs…
Who knows…
:)
:whistle:

Bill, not to hijack the thread, but is it for cataracts? My dad had that done, and it really helped him a lot. whatever it is, may you heal more quickly than average! :)

Hi Gents:

I’m sure the wireless approach is the good alternative to tolerating mic shocks…
It doesn’t remove the fact that a polarity issue is still there, somewhere in your stage wiring setup. You may like the freedom of not having to drag a mic wire around, after your mic stand…
You might consider unplugging things till the shock issue stops…
Then fix the polarity fault…

Just tell the squirrels not to run so fast…

Gents…
I am beginning to feel so old…
There’s this small area in my head that causes me to remember things the way there were 50 years ago…
However, it seems to be getting smaller-and-smaller every time I wake up in the morning…

Why is that ????
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

hi-jacking threads ????
what’s that?

Quote: (woxnerw @ Oct. 22 2010, 3:41 AM)

hi-jacking threads ????
what's that?

Well hayyulll... lemme pick one... I'll shows yer howta ko-jack a threed...

UJ

PS Don' worry... I'm okayyy... :)

PS Lookit there! I figgered out them simiuly thangs...