Microphones

Re-visited…

I have an interest in microphones…

This link appeared in my mail, this morning. This link is worth opening and bookmarking…

Microphones

Mabey, you’ve already seen this link…

[EDIT]
If you can find time… Do what the opening page says… Visit the Table of Contents… Don’t miss anything… You’ll enjoy…

Bill…

Awesome, Bill, many many thanks for that link. Notice that the first mic they show is the RCA 77! :)

Here’s the other source I have used and posted here a number of times:
http://www.k-bay106.com/mics.htm

Thanks for that link you posted Tom… That’s great… You’re right… That RCA 77 has to be the Classic Mic of All Time… Lets face it… If you’re a vintage mic collector and you don’t have one of them in your heap, just what mic’s do you have?

There’s this mic… I don’t see much reference to it anywhere… It looks like a Canned salmon can… It’s mounted by a yoke that makes it adjustable (Mounted on a mic stand)… However I don’t know the model or manufactuer of it… At one time I thought it was a Northern Electric mic… or mabey an ElectroVoice… Who Knows?? I remember IT as being in every radio station that I ever went into… It’s use was mainly for captuering and doing jingles, and all… I remember going into this one station and doing jingles… It was the only mic opened in the room… We got used to positioning ourselves around the room according to where the old guy told us to go… in the room… Then we remembered for the next time we worked there… This mic had the ability to hear a Pocket Watch ticking…

Ever sense I was a kid, I wanted one of those mics… I’m thinking the mic was outta the pre-war years… and not later than the late '40’s… or early '50’s…

Anyway, as you scroll down the opening page and Table-of-Contents, of this link, there are some classic photos there… and as well, some manuals of some RCA vintage (Tube) pre-amps and amplifiers… I haven’t begun to browse all that’s on that page… My dial-up and modem is pretty slow…

I know there are tonns of pages like that, out there… But this one rates close to the top… In-My-Opinion…

Bill…

Bill, that is a great site, I have to say it again. I love the fact that they have samples of what this mic sounds like at different settings - and it sounds very, very good.
http://www.coutant.org/altec639/index.html

I remember seeing one of these in a picture in front of MacArthur. Sure would like to turn up one in the thrift store… :)

I’m back again:
What a beautiful mic… I remember the first jingle session I got involved with back in '62… It was at radio station CHNS the first radio station in these parts… They opened up in the early '20’s… They broadcast on 960khz. They had a couple of short-wave frequencies, as well… I can remember the AM transmitter would come roaring in on my crystal set that I made… '54 and '55… Bill Haley and the Comets… got lots of air play…They sounded great on my crystal set… I don’t remember the years but Hank Snow and Wilf Carter got their break by singing their songs on that station… as well as many others… It was a big TO-DO back then…

In the '60’s and 70’s they had quite the studio then… Apart from their broadcasting cubby-holes… High ceilings, and all… They also had a big Hammond organ that had two Leslie cabinets… Whatever happened to it … I’d like to know… As well, that place was full of those Altec Microphones. as I remember… Back then, I never took much notice of them… Whatever happened to those mics… ??? I’d like to know…

They also had a bunch of Ampex 440 tape transports… They were as common as blueberries back in the 60’s… and they had a Cutting Lathe… although I didn’t see that it got much attention,…

Bill…

And now all that stuff is highly desirable. :)