mics

good ones?

I am looking to get a couple mics for my son for his birthday. He is a Recording Arts major at a university wants to put together his own setup (which is PT and Reason----he’s a MAC guy). I am thinking AKG D8000 S Mics. Are these any good? Or are there others that are better for the same $$. Musicians Friend has a deal on a couple right now.

Thanks

cliff

Those are stage type handheld dynamic mics. You would do better with a Studio Projects B1 LD condenser as your first mic. $99 @ sweetwater.com

Rick

Yeah hes realy going to need a condenser for recording. If you have a guitar center near you they usally have good deals on entry level mics

Bones

I took the advice I seemed to find everywhere on the net and bought a Shure SM57 as my first mic, and I have been very pleased with it. It’s been my only mic for a couple of years and I’ve used it for everything I’ve done: acoustic guitar, vocals, clarinet, english hand bells and chimes. It seems to work best in close-mic applications.

Having only that one mic, I have wished for two things:

1. A pair of matched mics for stereo recording. I think I would like to have a pair of small-diaphragm condenser mics for instrument and ambient recording.

2. A large-diaphragm condenser for vocals. The Shure works fine for vocals, but I haven’t been quite able to capture the open, airy sound that I hear in many professional recordings.

James

<!–QuoteBegin>

I am looking to get a couple mics for my son for his birthday.

I’d probably listen to clough42 on this one. See if you can’t find a dynamic and a condensor together in a pack or something similar but that depends on your budget.

This would probably be the sort of thing that would be good to cover a lot of bases to start with, and a dynamic as well would cover most situations.

Willy.

Keep in mind that most LD condenser mics will need phantom power via a mixer or pre-amp…

My second mic and best thus far is the Sampson CO1U USB Studio Condenser Mic. Plugs straight into the PC! Excellent results! And it captures that airy sound mention in the other response.

If he is serious about it, don’t get “good enough.” Get the best you can afford. One can make a good recording with a computer stick mic, but it is so much easier with a decent mic. That said, for value I recommend you ckeck out Rode mics. For a dymanic, consider the Audix om-5. Everyone has at least one shure sm57, so that’s OK too. How about an SM7, however? Folks like me who like to play at being recordists on a sunday afternoon in the basement like the mxl stuff 'cause it is cheap and sound really good for the money, but their stuff doesn’t hold a candle to a quality mic, and if he plans to go pro then he needs pro equipment. By the way, I have one of those 8000 things, and I think it sounds pretty poor all in all.

Re: the AKG mics, you might find this interesting:

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread/threadid/51552

thanks all
TomS…thanks for the link, interesting

cliff

Shure SM57 or SM58 is a great choice, being an industry standard. If you have the extra $50 or so, though, consider a Shure Beta 57 or 58. (58 is best for vocals, 57 is best for miking instruments, but they’re largely interchangeable except on stage where you need a 58 for vocals.) I haven’t heard anyone ever prefer a 57/58 to the Beta versions – same thing but newer hi-tech material in the magnet, leading to a better sound especially with less expensive preamps.

A great all-purpose large-diaphram condensor studio mike is Rode NT1-A, for about $200. A similar mike which is also very good is the Studio Projects B1 for $100.

Another option to consider, that will actually make these mikes sound different, is a decent mike preamp like the Studio Projects VTB-1 ($100).

You came to the right place with this question: we’re always happy to help folks spend their money! :wink:

thanks again…by the way, does anybody know where that money tree is ????

:cool:

cliff

<!–QuoteBegin>

by the way, does anybody know where that money tree is

Yes, in fact it’s right here in my back yard.
I was thinking to start selling the seeds to people with cash problems.
Interested? :blues:

yup…
ha ha
wonder how many responses you get to that question
:laugh:

logically you would have to GIVE me the seeds so i could grow some cash first

i have 3 dynamic mics including a Shure SM58 and a Behringer B2 Pro LCD.

The SM58 and B2 sound excellent respectively and they’re relatively inexpensive.
The B2 has a slight high frequency response and great presence in the mids without any coloring to the sound (which is what i wanted as i prefer to color the sound if needed during mixing)
The SM58 is great if you want a slightly boomier sound and its awesome for amps/cabs when u want to crank it.

Im thinking of getting the stereo pair of small condenser mic package from Behringer…C2 i think it is which is around $100 for the guitars and an aged piano.

There certainly a lot of responses, but never did I see what the mic will be used for. Vocals, acoustic guitar, guitar amp, piano, percussion, …? They may all require a very different type of mic.

Quote (Katau @ Dec. 05 2005,11:33)
There certainly a lot of responses, but never did I see what the mic will be used for. Vocals, acoustic guitar, guitar amp, piano, percussion, ...? They may all require a very different type of mic.

my personal opinion..it really depends on how it sounds like to you and whether if you like it.

for certain vocals..if youre a baritone/tenor powerful male vocalist and also depending on genre that requires loud in your face performances .. a sm57 or sm58 can do well

if youre a female or a male alto..a condenser mic is better as it is more detailed. typically vocals in the higher registers are usually in the genre that focuses on lyrics so detailed presence is a must. also if you have an ethereal voice or someone who will sing softly time to time..that sensitivity factor that condenser mics offer will pay off big time.

stringed instruments like acoustic guitar..cello..etc are best served with a condenser because every nuance of the vibration they offer you want to capture its full tone and vibrancy.

amp'd guitars....it depends on the sound youre looking for. some people like to really pick up that amp noise with the guitar signal so a condenser at a certain spot can do nicely. you might want to switch on the attenuator for loud signals.
if you like the crunch distortion with a lot of tone..an sm58 is my choice.

far as pianos..i never recorded one. altho im told a pair of small condenser mics and a large condenser for the room is the way to go but its really tricky considering you have to factor the resonance produced by the body..the hammer strings and where to place them especially. it also matters what perspective sound you want..audience or player.

this is all just my preference of course and what works for me as far as getting the acoustic rock sound.

what’s your budget??

100-150 $$