MIDI click tech problem

Version 2.3

Hey guys.

As most of you know I am still on 2.3…lol Call me a sentimental fool.

Anyhow I recently ran accross a glitch never seen before in my 8 years using this.
I’m thinkin I did something that reset something or something ya know!
So here’s the problem.
I use the MIDI metronone to set timing while a record the many tracks it take me to produce one guitar track lol
Now traditionally, as I recorded I could start from any point in the recording, and the click would start and be audible to me as I play.
But somehow, it is now only audible if I start recording from zero.
This is particularly frustrating when I am around 2 minutes into the song and I have to record a new track and wait for the whole other part to play before I can add whatever little part I’m working on.
Although this method has seem to have added a bit of contenuety to the peices since I am forced to listen to the whole song and get the feel for it before I add parts, it has not done much for my patience.
And needless to say an impatient heart makes for sloppy tracks.
I noticed the other day a file I was using had 2:13:00 in the “lock in punchin out times to regio selection” area.
But don’t really know how it got there or what that does since I have never gone there.
I typed in all 00:00:00 but that didn’t seem to help.
The output from the metronome is to MIDI note DEVICE with Midi Mapper selected.

All I’m trying to achieve is resetting it back to however it was,
When I was able to start recording at any point in the song, and hear the metronome.
It would also be helpful to know how this transpired so that I could avoid tinkering with whatever caused it in the future.
No doubt this is elementary to most Watsons, so thanks in advance Holmes.
BTW I was demontrating how Audigy works the other day to a friend and may have done something in there that effected how Ntrack and the soundcard are set up as well…??

System is Gateway 1G Windows 98SE Soundblaster Live card.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Um I guess if you’ve been using this thing for 8 years you should already know all the quirks.

Oh well, there’s always the re-install option…lol

keep shinin’

jerm :)

Hi Jeremy,

I haven’t used the metronome for quite awhile, since we found that it doesn’t stay in-sync - even in 3.x and 4.x (I’m stuck with 4.x). So I don’t think I can help any. Hope you find a solution.

Paul

Select the device you want to use in the Metronome and as the MIDI device in the preferences. Make sure they are the same device and not MIDI Mapper. MIDI Mapper means use whatever the default system MIDI device is, even if it’s REALLY the same device you think it is.

I had an issue where the MIDI device was “SoundBlaster MIDI” (or something like that) and the Windows System MIDI device was “SoundBlaster MIDI”. The problem was that the metronome was “MIDI Mapper”. Of course MIDI Mapper and SoundBlaster MIDI were indeed the same device. n-Tracks couldn’t open them both at same time since MIDI devices by-design are exclusive. If I selected them by name and they were the same then n-Tracks was happy.

This could be related to keeping devices open, but I don’t think so.

FYI: There was a bug in some versions of n-Tracks where the metronome would not work unless the song was started at the beginning. There was some trick to get it to work sometimes. Maybe you are hitting that now and your former config was doing whatever that trick was.

When MIDI starts or stops sometimes there is a burst of MIDI events to set up the MIDI instrument/channel. Stopping can mute MIDI volume – starting can send program changes, initial volume and pan events. There are other events as well. Check to see is anything is on that would do that, especially something like that that was not enabled before. It could be that the MIDI volume is getting set to zero when playback is stopped but not being turned back up unless the song is played from the beginning.

…just some random thoughts.

Ok phoo thanks some of that made sence.
Will do!
:D

anyway Paul,
have you tried using the system timer? Soundacrd timer?

I have used the metronome in Ntrack for years now and collab with many other artist, and so far they have all said they were able to stay in sync with my tracks.

keep shinin’

jerm
:cool:

Eyup!

I use 3.3 Jerm and sometimes have the problem where the metronome does not start immediately.
Even worse, it sometimes starts not in sync with the grid.
As a workaround, I always record a couple of minutes of just the metronome and render it as an audio track.
I then use the audio track, not the midi metronome as my timing reference.

Over the years I have built up a little library of two minute click tracks of various time signatures and BPM speeds so I can just re-use them as necessary.

Steve

Quote (Beefy Steve @ Jan. 17 2007,18:49)
Eyup!

I use 3.3 Jerm and sometimes have the problem where the metronome does not start immediately.
Even worse, it sometimes starts not in sync with the grid.
As a workaround, I always record a couple of minutes of just the metronome and render it as an audio track.
I then use the audio track, not the midi metronome as my timing reference.

Over the years I have built up a little library of two minute click tracks of various time signatures and BPM speeds so I can just re-use them as necessary.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That’s not a bad idea.
I never could figure out how to do that though.
Everytime it’s discussed here I try to make note of the thread name, to come back to it…
But alas it slips of the page before I get around to recording again.

To do that now, I would play the metronome and record it through a mic using the computers speakers, slight feedback, but timing on.
I still can’t figure out why numbers keep showing up in that little black box in the top right corner…(punch in whatever). it used to be all zeros for years.
Now it’s like a box of chocolates I never do know what I’m gonna get.

keep shinin’

jerm :)