Midi controller for n-track

Behringer, is there anything better, Yes

Well I’m looking at this unit.
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/5435/

I don’t have the cash to try this baby out but it looks like it could be a winner. I will eventually test it and report back, but I just wanted to show this, because this is the first unit that I know of that could really control n-track using Midi besides the BC Behringer series which has the most buttons and controller options I’ve seen so far is limited.

From the Main Website: The MIDI section on the ZE ZED-R has been designed to control software transport, with extra mappable controllers ready to be user-assigned. With recording now truly in the digital age, ZED-R16 brings the home studio bang up to date.

In addition to the ZED-R16's dedicated MIDI controls, all of the channel faders can be switched to become MIDI controllers.

The main site here:
http://www.allen-heath.com/zed/zed-R16.asp

PACO

I found this information about the Midi part of this controller.

"It might seem an odd thing for Allen & Heath to have included a dedicated MIDI control section, but actually for a mixer that’s so DAW-centric it’s quite a smart move.
There are four 60mm MIDI faders, 12 non-continuous pots, and then a smattering of buttons which suggest specific functions (transport, increase value, shift, select, and locate points). In addition, any of the mono channel faders can become a MIDI fader, by selecting their ‘Fader=MIDI’ button. Any MIDI data produced is sent via the MIDI Out socket and across the Firewire connection, on channel 16.
Fundamentally the ZED R16’s MIDI controls fulfil a very simple, basic role — sending out continuous controller data (from all the faders and pots), note on/off messages (from the right-hand group of buttons), and standard MIDI Machine Control messages (from the transport buttons). What’s more, the data types and value ranges are absolutely preset, with no opportunity for reprogramming in the way we might expect from a knobby MIDI controller keyboard, for example. The idea is that whatever MIDI device you want to control from the ZED R16, whether that’s your DAW’s mixer or a soft synth, needs to have a MIDI learn function so it can adapt to the messages coming from the controls. A bit limited? Definitely. But given that nearly all DAWs have a MIDI learn function, it’s not a bad way of doing it — and it certainly keeps things simple."

So cool!! :agree:

PACO

If anybody is interested in buying this for me for Christmas, I’ll be your best friend. ???

PACO

Are you female, VERY attractive, have a trust fund of more than several million dollar and find me the perfect mate - maybe . . . :;):

YEah I was checking this one out before I went with the ONYX1620.

I was wondering what the midi was for on this, tried reading some of it but most of it was over my head.

I thought maybe you could control the mixer via midi from the stage, and watch the faders go up and down like a ghost was controlling them… :p

There was some reason I didn’t go with this…OH yeah! I think it used USB…and it only transmitted a stereo mix to the computer? it may been one of the previous smaller ZED’s I was looking at…anyway that limitation (an my own USB issues) steered me away from it, then there was the monitoring issue…I did not notice dedicated out’s for each channel to send to a line mixer for individual mixes, yes it has inserts but I was going to use them for FX on some of the channels, I know you can use the aux channels for monitor mixes but my shure monitor system is wireless and controlled from stage by each person so I needed a line from each channel.

Anyway I am sure those preamps are sweet!

You can’t go wrong with an Allen and Heath, if you can afford it.
:agree:

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Quote: (bax3 @ Dec. 23 2009, 7:32 PM)

Are you female, VERY attractive, have a trust fund of more than several million dollar and find me the perfect mate - maybe . . . :;):

Nope, male with pot belly, damaged knuckles, severe drinking problem, 3rd year medical student, manic depressive, but I can bake excellent chocolate chip cookies? LOL!!

PACO
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Dec. 23 2009, 9:06 PM)

YEah I was checking this one out before I went with the ONYX1620.

I was wondering what the midi was for on this, tried reading some of it but most of it was over my head.

I thought maybe you could control the mixer via midi from the stage, and watch the faders go up and down like a ghost was controlling them... :p

There was some reason I didn't go with this.......OH yeah! I think it used USB...and it only transmitted a stereo mix to the computer? it may been one of the previous smaller ZED's I was looking at....anyway that limitation (an my own USB issues) steered me away from it, then there was the monitoring issue...I did not notice dedicated out's for each channel to send to a line mixer for individual mixes, yes it has inserts but I was going to use them for FX on some of the channels, I know you can use the aux channels for monitor mixes but my shure monitor system is wireless and controlled from stage by each person so I needed a line from each channel.

Anyway I am sure those preamps are sweet!

You can't go wrong with an Allen and Heath, if you can afford it. :agree:

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

What interested me the most about this unit is ALL the faders are midi learn-able so I can control n-track to a higher degree than I can with the Behringer unit I have now. The Behringer I have, you must use presets because there are not enough buttons/fader to do most tasks. With the Behringer I set preset 1 to control tracks 1&2 with 8 knobs for EQ the rest for pan, master volume ect ect, preset 2 to control track 3&4, ect ect.. With this unit I should be able to have 13 knobs for each EQ instead of 8 and won't have to switch between presets.

PACO