Midi Latency Issue

Midi Yet Again

Sup Guyz,

I know that this has been brought up a lot in the forums, but I can’t find a fix to my problem. I finally figured out how to get my M-Audio KeyRig 49 to work in N-track. I can get sounds and record , but when I play it back there’s lag after a certain time (About 15 sec). Here’s the thing, when I stop the track it falls right in sync when I start it up again. It’s super frustrating.
Here’s what I’ve done that some of the forums suggested. 1) I tried going to my buffer settings and adjusting them, but the numbers are in gray and reset back to default numbers. (Recording buffer size 256 Buffer # 2- Same settings for Playback) 2) Audio device/advanced check that audio devices are open. It didn’t cut the latency issue.
I have my audio devices set to Alesis USB audio device (Playback & Recording) so that I can hear my sound source out of my mixer. When I go to Midi Devices, I see my KeyRig 49 in Input port and MIDI MAPPER or Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth for Output ports as options. I have read that both of these suck and create latency. Is this my main problem? If so how do I get around it? If there is any info that I left out that would help narrow this down please let me know. I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now. I appreciate all the help.

-Mosley

Please post your system specs.

PACO

Specs:

Amd Athlon 2 245 processor 2.90ghz
4gig Ram
32 bit os

N-track 6.0.8 build
Alesis multimix usb 2.0 (Where my sound comes from & is my ASIO)
M-Audio KeyReg 49 midi controller

More info than that? Thx Paco!

-Mosley

Is this a laptop? A couple of things to mention, make sure your USB device is by itself on the port and not sharing with any other device, the point is, most USB ports are conjoined in pairs, therefore should you attempt to run a USB 1.1 device with a USB 2.0 device the port will default to USB 1.1 speeds. Most if not all USB 2.0 devices are backward compatible with USB 1.1 making it difficult to detect issues.

Other factors might be virus scanners or other items running in the back ground which could delay the playback speed.

To see if your system can handle audio streaming including video streaming there is a tool which can test your system. It a latency checker tool and it’s free. The bottom line with this tool is, if all the bars are green you should be good to go, but if you see red spikes, it means some device or application running in the background is causing a delay in the streaming. Here’s a link to the latency checker.

Download DPC Latency Checker here:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

PACO

Quote: (mosley @ Aug. 10 2010, 3:24 AM)

Sup Guyz,

I know that this has been brought up a lot in the forums, but I can't find a fix to my problem.
I finally figured out how to get my M-Audio KeyRig 49
to work
in N-track.
I can get sounds and record , but when I play it back there's lag after a certain time (About 15 sec).
Here's the thing, when I stop the track it falls right in sync when I start it up again.
It's super frustrating.

Here's what I've done that some of the forums suggested.
1) I tried going to my buffer settings and adjusting them, but the numbers are in gray and reset back to default numbers.
(Recording buffer size 256 Buffer # 2- Same settings for Playback) 2) Audio device/advanced check that audio devices are open. It
didn't
cut the latency issue.

I have my audio devices set to Alesis USB audio device (Playback & Recording) so that I can hear my sound source out of my mixer. When I go to Midi Devices, I see my KeyRig 49 in Input port and MIDI MAPPER or Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth for Output ports as options.
I have read that both of these suck and create latency. Is this my main problem? If so how do I get around it? If there is any info that I left out that would help narrow this down please let me know.
I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now.
I appreciate all the help.

-Mosley

The Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth has usually about 1/10 of a second of latency, as it is a software MIDI synth. If you don't have any other MIDI synth MIDI Mapper will actually be an alias for "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth", so it doesn't matter which of those you select.
You should be able to get good results using a VSTi instrument as MIDI synth, and using ASio or WDM drivers as audio device drivers. When using a VSTi the output latency is controlled by n-Track, unlike as in the case of the Microsoft software synth, and can typically made small enough to be un-noticeable (10 ms or less).

Flavio.