MIDI MATRIX EDITOR

its here -

composed in notepad, if it comes out a mess blame M$oft not me -

BUILD 2438 -

WELL - its here, and yes we really do have MIDI MAGIC - MATRIX EDITING has come to MIDI -

DO THIS - insert a MIDI track (to start with this has to be a single MIDI track not a MIDI song) -

right click in track - output to / new instrument / VSTi / your favourite soft synth - while track is still selected press Q - this will mute the track (see below on mutes) -

right click in track - MATRIX EDITOR SETUP - box appears - select 6 in top box 2 in lower box and UNTICK splice to grid - press OK - to see all tracks (you may have to) click on the VEIW ALL SONG icon - screen will contain 13 tracks - the centre one is your ORIGINAL track - all the tracks above are transposed DOWN by two notes and the tracks below it are transposed UP by two notes -

at this moment in time ALL tracks are muted - NOW press CTRL + A - this selects all tracks -

move cursor to a position that is BETWEEN MIDI NOTES, PRESS S - all tracks will cut at that point -

move cursor across track splicing (cutting) the tracks where there is a GAP BETWEEN the MIDI NOTES -

when you have cut the tracks a few times press CTRL + 0 (the number 0) - this UN-selects all tracks now click in any cell and press Q - the cell is now un-muted - click in cells at random (pressing Q as you go along) - UN-muted cells show brighter than MUTED ones -

press play - as the timeline runs across the tracks the pitch of the track will change depending on what cell OR CELLS are selected -

the change per track in this case is two notes between (say) track 2 and track 3 is not a great change in pitch, from top track to bottom track the change is 24 notes - selecting two or three or four cells at the same time can make a dramatic difference - now MIDI HARMONY is possible -

NOT USED TO MIDI - a few pointers -

when you insert a MIDI track into the timeline, you will see a lot of dots and lines - be it a dot or a line the same thing happens, as the timeline passes over them a NOTE ON signal is generated, the note
will be played for the length of the dot or line, at the end of the dot/line a NOTE OFF signal is generated - HOWEVER - if you cut a track anywhere in the dot or line the following NOTE OFF will not be generated and the note may play for the length of the track -

using different presets with a soft synth may give the impression that not all of the MIDI notes are behaving correctly - if (say) there is a long line, then that will be OK with certain presets where the note can be sustained - but if the preset is changed the note now may no longer be sustained - if the first preset is a lush pad then the note will play to the end of the line - if the preset is a drum or piano then these notes cannot be sustained so a long line will give one beat of the drum / piano note at the beginning of the line only -

the matrix ediror will stop playing if no cells in any of the tracks are select - select the first 6 cells out of 12 and playback will stop at the end of the 6th cell -

MUTES - in both the audio and the MIDI version of the matrix editor there are TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF MUTE - in the AUDIO version the NORMAL mute (left of track) will mute the whole track - clicking on the little (left ot the two) arrow head at the end of ta cell will mute or unmute that PART of the track - if arrow is RED that part is muted - unmuting it will not override the master (left of track MUTE) -

in the MIDI version with a soft synth as a VSTI - muting any track will STOP ALL NOTES being played, so dont use the track mute in MIDI -use the arrow (PART MUTE) instead or Q on the keyboard -

as mentioned above - there is a third type of mute and this can be quicker - SELECTt a cell and press Q, this will change (mute or unmute) the cell. - Q mute - Q again unmute -

if you click somewhere you shouldnt during the splicing (cutting) session you may lose select all - if this happens just press CTRL+A agian -

WOT got no soft synth ? - GET THIS ONE - SYNTH 1 - it comes with a PHEEEEENOMINNNNNAAALLLL amount of presets (128) - very, very easy to use and its FREE -

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/214.html

look for the PATCHES DOWNLOAD (just below the windows download) you will need these -

M.R.

Nice bit of Magic happening here! :agree:

Is this going into a manual somewhere - a public document that can be downloaded as a manual or a help file when a user needs the information.

bar taking care with MIDI notes the audio version is the same - so what works for MIDI also works for wave files - copy the instructions at the top, open notepad, paste them into it and save in your N track folder -

M.R.

to get to notepad - START - all programs - accessories - notepad -
right click on notepad and create shortcut - drag shortcut to the desktop - then drag it to the lower left side icon tray - now you can open it from the icon tray or the desktop anytime to jot/copy note for future reference very easily -

Mr. rabbit, can youo tell me in a breif sentence exactly what this does? I don’t think I followed the explanation, after two readings…

Both the audio and the MIDI versions of the MATRIX EDITOR do this -

they allow you to try different pitch shifts and add harmony parts in different ares of a track - N automatically does the setting up - all you have to do is to splice (cut) the trachs where you want -

whereby with a lot of ‘AUTOTUNE’ type programs you have to work standalone or with a plugin, in N its all in house -

the term MATRIX EDITOR refers to the way the screen looks - you have the choice of how many tracks are displayed and the pitch shift between tracks - as the tracks are cut you build up a matrix of cells, by switching the cells in and out you can see how parts of a track sound at a different pitchs, and by switching in more than one cell in a colum add harmony parts to a track - all the cells in a row are the same pitch so you can so you can go from original pitch to transpose +12 and -12 with the settings mentioned in the top post -

the audio version using .wav files is easier to use as no special care has to be taken cutting the tracks - there is a demo package for the audio version here -

http://www.filefactory.com/file/dca52d/n/THE_MATRIX_ZIP_zip

M.R.

Quote:

in N its all in house

As is the same with any decent, fairly modern DAW. I have a question though? With this method do you not very quickly end up with about a quad-zillion tracks? How do you deal with that?

D

EDIT: Nudder question!? What algorithm does n use for pitch shifting? Because honestly? I've heard lots better. I don't have to say where. :laugh:

I sort of warble higher when I want to shift my pitch. When I want to lower it, I just sort of whine a bit more miserably. that seems to work.

“Warble and whine”… sounds like a Bluegrass kind of thing… :laugh:

D

Isn’t that a law firm?

D - you end up with nothing or mixdown to one track - try it -

M.r.

Hi M.R.

Yeah I follow what you are saying… I don’t know… If you have a pile of “Matrix-ed” bits and render them all to a stem only to change your mind… Go back twiddle > Render stem track > go back twiddle > Render… If it’s a decent size project it seems it would get unruly awfully fast.

D

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 26 2009, 5:25 PM)

Isn't that a law firm?

You are thinking of Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.
"Warble and Whine" is a new fusion restaurant with quite the Merlot selection.

As for this MIDI scheme, how do we compensate for thirds? There has to be some intelligence here to keep things in the key as you can't simply shift everything up a third and have it work in a diatonic key, yo. Play a third or a sixth moved up 4 half steps and you are in trouble.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jan. 27 2009, 10:17 AM)

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 26 2009, 5:25 PM)

Isn't that a law firm?

You are thinking of Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.
"Warble and Whine" is a new fusion restaurant with quite the Merlot selection.

As for this MIDI scheme, how do we compensate for thirds? There has to be some intelligence here to keep things in the key as you can't simply shift everything up a third and have it work in a diatonic key, yo. Play a third or a sixth moved up 4 half steps and you are in trouble.

Perhaps keyboard shortcuts like in Reaper? Select item(s) and Shift + 9, or Shift + 0 to pitch up/down a semitone. You can also assign keys for pitching by octave or cents. You would still have to do manual corrections but it'd be heckuva a lot easier! Also a volume "handle" on each item would be sweet. Specially for using this with audio bits.

Also do it in a LANE. Have your copies in a lane instead of creating a gillion separate tracks. Seems to me that would be easier to manage. Reaps FIPM (Free Item Positioning Mode) is the shizzle for this kind of thing... You can always collapse the lane to minimize space yet still see what's up with your track as it plays.

Just a few thoughts/suggestions for whatever they are worth... probably nuttin'! :laugh:

D

PS Nobody ever answered my question about the algo so... Flavio might look into licensing Elastique Pro 2.1 for a pitch/time algo? This is the SAME algorithm Melodyne uses and Cockos licenses. Sounds pretty darn GOOD too...
Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 27 2009, 10:46 AM)

Flavio might look into licensing Elastique Pro 2.1 for a pitch/time algo? This is the SAME algorithm Melodyne uses and Cockos licenses. Sounds pretty darn GOOD too...

Now that would be sweet if it would happen. It is one of the reasons I'm still using Reaper. That Elastique Pro algo is awesome, better than Autotune in my humblest of opinion.

Paul

"handle" on each item would be sweet. Specially for using this with audio bits.

Also do it in a LANE. Have your copies in a lane instead of creating a gillion separate tracks. Seems to me that would be easier to manage. Reaps

No offence D but the idea of lanes on this cracks me up.

"instead of creating a gillion separate tracks".. Heck ya put um in a gillion separate lanes that one can't see lol Wouldn't that be a little rough to do? At least with tracks you can work an edit. Maybe I haven't expimented with lanes enough but sorry that seems like so much over'kill.
Quote: (vanclan @ Jan. 28 2009, 11:46 AM)

Flavio might look into licensing Elastique Pro 2.1 for a pitch/time algo? This is the SAME algorithm Melodyne uses and Cockos licenses. Sounds pretty darn GOOD too...

Now that would be sweet if it would happen. It is one of the reasons I'm still using Reaper. That Elastique Pro algo is awesome, better than Autotune in my humblest of opinion.

Paul

Huh? Did I just sense a shift away from the reap? hmmmm? Wonderin what the other reason is? :laugh:
I mean we love dubious but we've been catchin reapin'hell'hound here for the past year! :laugh:
Quote:

Just a few thoughts/suggestions for whatever they are worth... probably nuttin'!

*Sigh*

If the intended audience doesn't understand the basic concept, then the above is most certainly true.

I apologize. I shouldn't have bothered.

D
:laugh:
Oh bother......