Midi Sync issue?

Playback out of sync

Hi,

I created an n-Track Drums track to keep time on a song. Once I had the drum part completed (very simple just bass drum and hi-hat clicks), I recorded a guitar part.

When I played the two parts back, they were out of sync with each other in about 10 measures. I have tried setting the midi timer to wav, setting the sampling frequency to 48khz, and using a basic midi drum track on channel 10 in place of the n-track drums and I get the same results. I even asked someone to come listen to me play with the ntrack/midi drum track to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind and playing that horribly.

I’m using an Alesis MultiMix16 Firewire board with n-Track and have upgrade to the 24-bit version of n-Track. This didn’t seem to be an issue when I was using a USB mic as my only input, no outboard mixer adn the 16-bit version of n-Track. Also, I added a bass part to a song I recorded before I upgraded the software and got the Alesis board and didn’t have any sync issues. This is just weird.

Has anyone run into this before? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

(khcarlso @ Aug. 12 2007,14:36)
Hi,

I created an n-Track Drums track to keep time on a song. Once I had the drum part completed (very simple just bass drum and hi-hat clicks), I recorded a guitar part.

When I played the two parts back, they were out of sync with each other in about 10 measures. I have tried setting the midi timer to wav, setting the sampling frequency to 48khz, and using a basic midi drum track on channel 10 in place of the n-track drums and I get the same results. I even asked someone to come listen to me play with the ntrack/midi drum track to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and playing that horribly.

I'm using an Alesis MultiMix16 Firewire board with n-Track and have upgrade to the 24-bit version of n-Track. This didn't seem to be an issue when I was using a USB mic as my only input, no outboard mixer adn the 16-bit version of n-Track. Also, I added a bass part to a song I recorded before I upgraded the software and got the Alesis board and didn't have any sync issues. This is just weird.

Has anyone run into this before? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Try rendering the n-track drums track to a wav, importing it into a new project and recording the guitar along with that. If you still have sync problems then it's not a MIDI related problem.

Tried that and there were no sync issues. I did discover something rather strange during my investigation, though…

I had an old song that I used a midi drum track (channel 10) for a click track and if I copy that song to a new directory, remove all the tracks except the midi track and record a guitar part to it through the Alesis board, there are no sync issues!

I’ve been through the settings on each of the midi tracks and can see no difference at all. The only thing I can think of is that the original song was recorded with the 16-bit version of Ntrack and when I try the same thing with the 24-bit version I get a sync issue. That sounds rather crazy, though – could this be a bug?

Kevin