Midi sync/ record issue with N track

Hi,

I’m recording analog but sometimes syncing/dumping from my tape deck to my DAW via Delta 1010lt.
I’m using a JLC pps-2 midi sync box.

A big problem I’m having is- Ntrack works well in playing audio and, everything syncs ok, but ntrack will not record any incoming signal while also in sync.

Basically when I hit play on my tape deck ntrack will play
once the sync signal is received, but then if I hit the record button (on ntrack) it says “waiting for incoming sync signall” and stops, with record button flashing!

Im using ntrack 4, which I prefer to 6 and would rather keep (for my very basic digital editing), is this a known issue?

Any suggestions?

The computer is a 2010 dell pc running windows 7, had the same issue with it on another computer running windows xp.

Hi. Do you have n-T as slave or master? Try switching them.

My tape deck is the master, ntrack is chasing it.

I’m not even sure if I have the right gear to do it the other way,
and for various reasons I feel like the computer chasing the tape is a better idea
for my set up.

Shouldn’t the record function work though? It’s definitely following the tape just fine, but wont record as well.

You are correct.
So - you are taking the audio from the tape deck and streaming it into n-T? Is it your intention to continue working with this syncing setup or are you moving all your stuff from tape to digital - just asking?
I have done exactly this with n-T V6 but it’s a while ago, I’ve also, more recently moved stuff from a TEAC multi tracker, but no need for the SMPTE box with that one. I’m not familiar with your external hardware but I’m sure it’s do-able.
I’m wondering if it’s a simple n-T input not setup properly - how familiar with n-Track are you?

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 06 2010, 10:43 AM)

You are correct.
So - you are taking the audio from the tape deck and streaming it into n-T? Is it your intention to continue working with this syncing setup or are you moving all your stuff from tape to digital - just asking?
I have done exactly this with n-T V6 but it's a while ago, I've also, more recently moved stuff from a TEAC multi tracker, but no need for the SMPTE box with that one. I'm not familiar with your external hardware but I'm sure it's do-able.
I'm wondering if it's a simple n-T input not setup properly - how familiar with n-Track are you?

Yes, I am taking audio from an 8 track reel to reel, to ntrack. The delta 1010lt allows 8 separate tracks at once which is perfect.

When I did this without the smpte box, ntrack records from my 8 track just fine, have done many transfers like that.

I trying to do this with smpte syncing now though, because my goal is to dump 7 tracks (-1 track for time code), then have them play back in time with my tape deck to allow new recordings of analog tracks in sync with ntrack playback.

Then dump again, and repeat...essentially getting more tracks out of my 8track with digital transfers and playback.

In the end it's all mixed out of the box to 1/4" two track tape deck.

It may very well be a set up problem with ntrack, as Im not super familiar with it. since I mainly like to record and mix in the analog realm.

Though I'm interested in possibilities the combo of my analog tracks and digital sync can open up (not to mention ease of digital editing vs. cutting tape!).

Ok. Are getting any input VU action in n-T?

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 06 2010, 11:32 AM)

Ok. Are getting any input VU action in n-T?

yes those are working fine.

VU readings from both master channel and track input?
If you’ve had success with this in the past then it’s gotta be something obvious. Is n-T set to record ‘audio’?

PS. When you hit record, does the red recording button flash and when you’ve hit stop, has n-T recorded anything at all?

Yes signal works on all ends.

It chases the tape fine and only stops and starts flashing when I hit record.

Its set to record audio.

For what its worth I just downloaded and tried this in Reaper, and it worked flawlessly, perfect sync and record from tape as well as playback, no issues.

Would like to get it up and running in Ntrack as well, since I know the n track functions a bit better.

Using a Dell for DA huh?..I have heard they work well with Reaper, not so hot with other proggies.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

I feel dirty and used :laugh:

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Dec. 06 2010, 1:52 PM)

Using a Dell for DA huh?....I have heard they work well with Reaper, not so hot with other proggies.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Yes using a Dell with Delta 1010lt interface.
Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 06 2010, 2:04 PM)

I feel dirty and used :laugh:

Hah, haven't given up on making this work on Ntrack...I just had to see if it was anotehr issue that's why I tried it on reaper.

I would love for this to work on my Ntrack.

Using a Dell for DA huh?....I have heard they work well with Reaper, not so hot with other proggies.

Has not a d@#n thing to do with it Jerm. Don't be a twat.

SOME Dell laptops are not well suited for DAW work because of DPC latency issues. My laptop at work is a Dell. DPC latency is a bit high IF I forget and leave the Wi-Fi radio turned on. Even then, I don't have issues until about 20 tracks. Turn off Wi-Fi and keep going...

This fellows synch issues has nothing to do with the PC brand he's running.

UJ
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 06 2010, 2:11 PM)

Has not a d@#n thing to do with it Jerm. Don't be a twat.

SOME Dell laptops are not well suited for DAW work because of DPC latency issues. My laptop at work is a Dell. DPC latency is a bit high IF I forget and leave the Wi-Fi radio turned on. Even then, I don't have issues until about 20 tracks. Turn off Wi-Fi and keep going...

This fellows synch issues has nothing to do with the PC brand he's running.

UJ

It's a desktop, brand new, pretty much customized for my recording endeavors. The Delta doesn't work on laptops.

Fred, I hope it’s just a setting somewhere you’ve missed somehow. I can’t check for you because I don’t have the gear or n-Track installed.

I’ve read posts here over the years where some have made this work while others fought with it until they presumably gave up?

Wish I could be more help… but trust me, it’s NOT your PC hardware at fault. :D

UJ

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 06 2010, 2:48 PM)

Fred, I hope it's just a setting somewhere you've missed somehow. I can't check for you because I don't have the gear or n-Track installed.

I've read posts here over the years where some have made this work while others fought with it until they presumably gave up?

Wish I could be more help... but trust me, it's NOT your PC hardware at fault. :D

UJ

No doubt, I'm 100% sure its the Ntrack settings...or capability.

I’ve done it. Just trying to rebuild it between other shtie.