MIDI to WAV rec fall-back

Got fall-backs when recording MIDI 2 WAV

Hi guys,
I need your help urgently.
I got a P4 2.6 GHz CPU with 1 GB of memory.
I have the Win XP SP2 Home edition running.
For over a year, I’m using the “WDM: SB Audigy 2ZS Audio (DF00)” for audio playback and recording device.
For recording buffering, I’m using 750 for “Buffer size sample”,
Buffers # is 4
Total 3000 samples with 0.008 s response time.
I’m working on 96000/24 sampling rate.
Till yesterday I had no trouble at all !!!
Now I imported a MIDI track with my song drum line.
It’s a six minute track (104 bpm). I have no problem in playing the MIDI track.
I get no fall-backs. When I’m trying to record the track for having it as a WAV file, I’m starting to have all kind of little lapses and fall backs after one minute of recording. I’m sure my PC and my sound card can handle the task, so what is going on?
Please advise me out of this mess.

Thanks,
Holy

Have you anything else running in the background?

New proggy installed? Adware? Some other crap? Any Services that weren’t running before, running now?

You can use Spybot or Enditall to see what else is going on in the background.

Ali

1) What’s “fall back”?

2) What MIDI output device are you using?

this is caused by the latency in the software synth you are using -

if you are using offline mixdown/convert to wave file, N converts the tracks to wave/mp3 much faster than it does by using online (realtime) mixdown/convert to wave file -

the latency (delay) in the software synth cannot be altered, N sends the midi track to the software synth and then records the resulting audio from the synth into the mixdown/wave conversion - as the software synth supplied with windows (or the roland MPU 3 version) are not plugins you cannot compensate for the time it takes for midi notes to be converted to audio -

so instead of waiting for the audio to return from the software synth N continues working on the other tracks, when N recieves a signal back from the synth it will add that returned (and delayed) audio to the mixdown/conversion -

lets say that it takes 10 miliseconds to process a single midi note, 100 midi notes = to a one 1 second delay, so your midi will be out of sync with the rest of the audio -

during playback and realtime mixbown/conversion everything runs in sync so the delay in the software synth is always constant and being very small is not generally noticed - using offline mixdown/conversion there is no sync so the delay becomes accumulative -

Dr J

Quote (DR Jackrabbit @ May 16 2005,22:58)
this is caused by the latency in the software synth you are using -

if you are using offline mixdown/convert to wave file, N converts the tracks to wave/mp3 much faster than it does by using online (realtime) mixdown/convert to wave file -

the latency (delay) in the software synth cannot be altered, N sends the midi track to the software synth and then records the resulting audio from the synth into the mixdown/wave conversion - as the software synth supplied with windows (or the roland MPU 3 version) are not plugins you cannot compensate for the time it takes for midi notes to be converted to audio -

so instead of waiting for the audio to return from the software synth N continues working on the other tracks, when N recieves a signal back from the synth it will add that returned (and delayed) audio to the mixdown/conversion -

lets say that it takes 10 miliseconds to process a single midi note, 100 midi notes = to a one 1 second delay, so your midi will be out of sync with the rest of the audio -

during playback and realtime mixbown/conversion everything runs in sync so the delay in the software synth is always constant and being very small is not generally noticed - using offline mixdown/conversion there is no sync so the delay becomes accumulative -

Dr J

The only question that I have Dr J is; since that is nothing more than one big paragraph, why all the spaces?

Thanks for the replyes. The ‘fall back’ is not just a constant delay, it sounds like notes are loosing their correct sequence from time to time.
I thought of Off-line recording, but could not find such an option when you run a MIDI file and record it into WAV file.
If there is such an option I would be happy to learn about it.
In the meen time, I converted the drum MIDI track into WAV with FL, and then imported the file into n-Track. The file is synched and has no delayes.