Mix critque please.

Looking for some mix critque please.
Thanks

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15586214/COTT_w_BG_Vox.mp3

all it needs is ME on guitar.

seriously though - the mix is deep and spacey right on - I personally would bring up some of the higher ‘airy’ parts - seems to be missing on the 12k + layer. may be me though - listened on my 240’s.

Is that Learjeff’s rhoades on the tag?

Oh and ME on guitar… :p

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 24 2010, 3:47 PM)

Where were you!?
I had to do it myself and see where it got me!!
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 24 2010, 3:53 PM)

seriously though - the mix is deep and spacey right on - I personally would bring up some of the higher 'airy' parts - seems to be missing on the 12k + layer. may be me though - listened on my 240's.

Is that Learjeff's rhoades on the tag?

Oh and ME on guitar.... :p

No, Haven't seen learjeff for years! Since artistcollaboration.com days!
Thanks for the input! :agree:

Oh me likes… :)

Velly, velly good. Mix sounds good too me.

UJ

Sounds great here.

Quote: (rockin4themaster @ Nov. 24 2010, 6:02 PM)

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 24 2010, 3:53 PM)

seriously though - the mix is deep and spacey right on - I personally would bring up some of the higher 'airy' parts - seems to be missing on the 12k + layer. may be me though - listened on my 240's.

Is that Learjeff's rhoades on the tag?

Oh and ME on guitar.... :p

No, Haven't seen learjeff for years! Since artistcollaboration.com days!
Thanks for the input! :agree:

Hi rockin4themaster:

That Rhodes sounds great with those Beds..
I listened to it at different repro levels..
There's a crash or whatever cymbal that could be brought up a little..
No Much..
Maybe, it's me I like more vocals in the stuff I listen to..

Nice flow of energy going on, with those tracks.. :agree:
:agree:

Bill..

All I can say is that this sounded professional to me in every aspect, from front to end. The mix was outstanding, ethereal, yet present, kept your attention. If I had ANY advice to give, it would be that the vocals seem to get lost in some of the verses, perhaps you can bring them up a touch in a few places, but all-in-all, I would grade this as an A+ composition

Thanks everyone! I’m doing a few more edits as mentioned.

Bill

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 25 2010, 10:47 AM)

No it needs ME on guitar.

Actually, I've not listened to any of Bill's (rockin4themaster's) stuff for a while but from what I've heard before he don't need any help on guitar. He usually nails it.

Guess I'd better go get my headphones.

Nice to see you here Bill. Long time no type.

Mark

Ooooh. That’s rather good. In fact, excellent. Nice job.

So what’s the line up and what’s it recorded on etc, etc, etc

Cheers!

Mark

You have som elow mid mud going on. I can’t quite pin point it. I think it is the bass. Though the low low could use a tad more meat. Also, perhaps add some presence to the vox… 750-1250hz or so as I am finding them to get lost in that low mid mud. Also, don’t be afraid to fill up the middle of the stereo spread. Everything feels very hard panned and there is no central focus. Past that, great composition and arrangement.

Thanks Bubbagump! I think you have my weaknesses nailed!! I do tend to spread things out and my bass track is eq’d very low. I’m trying to get good bass tone and it seems to be a struggle for me. Any advice for tracking the bass or eq-ing later? I’ll definitely take your advice ro the mix edits.

Mark
Long time no see bro!!! Great to see ya! Thanks for the comments!
I’m on guitars and bass. The rest are collab guys. I’m tracking on a Yamaha AW1600 and mixing on n-Track.
Using KRK Rokit 5 monitors.
Used my Shadow for guitar.(Droped whole step tuning)for rym guitar. Luna (LesPaul copy) for solo standard tuning.
For bass I’m using a Yamaha active kinda lower end quality.
Podxt for guitars and bass. We are working on a cd.
Where ya been hanging out lately? Got any new music?
later…
Bill

Quote: (rockin4themaster @ Nov. 26 2010, 3:19 AM)

Thanks Bubbagump! I think you have my weaknesses nailed!! I do tend to spread things out and my bass track is eq'd very low. I'm trying to get good bass tone and it seems to be a struggle for me. Any advice for tracking the bass or eqing later? I'll definitely take your advice ro the mix edits.

That would make a nice topic to discuss..

Without the correct bottom end on a recording, it makes the rest of the tracks hard to manage..
The end result-and-product becomes a tough work-in-progress..
When the right Bass and Kick is there, the rest of the tracks seem to fall into there right places..
:)
???

Bill..

That’s really good, and it really picks up when the growly guitar comes in about halfway through and you pitch the vocal up an octave. :agree:

Hi!

First of all a great song. I
´m really impressed :agree:

It reminds me of Eagles or Don Henley solo.
The guitar solo part in the end is perhaps a little too rough considering the character of the song.
I would prefer a lower mix of the sologuitar and a less distorted guitar but thats ofcourse a matter of taste :slight_smile:

I find the mix almost perfect although some of the crash symbals sounds a bit too compact.

PS: I like the idea exporting your Yamaha AW-1600 (I have one myself) recordings to N-track. How do you manage to do that easy? I find it a bit complex.
Kind regards Henrik :slight_smile:

Thanks again everyone!
Any tips on bass eq? What frequencys to boost/cut?

henrik
Yamaha AW1600:
Yea it is a bit complex, but after a few times it gets easier.
Here is how I do it:
1) Using edit button go to export screen
2) Using arrow deys highlight the track, v-track and section you want to export. 00:00-00:00 I always start at 00:00 so
all my tracks line up at the same time.
Highlight EXEC and hit ENTER button
3)You can now name the track (gtr, bass, etc…)by using the arrow keys and wheel
Or just use the generic name that the 1600 provides you

Highlight “OK” Hit ENTER
Now your track is in the export folder on the AW1600
Now you have to connect your AW1600 to the computer via usb

4) Using the UTILITY button go to USB screen
5) Highlight CONNECT and hit ENTER button
6) Save current song: YES

Now go to your computer screen

A popup screen will apperar

7) Open folder to view files
8) Transport folder
9) Copy and paste the wave file to a folder on your computer

From here you can copy a file from your computer and paste it in the Transport folder. But it has to be the same bitrate as the song you are working on in the AW1600.
For example: If the song in the AW1600 is 16 bit, the file you put in the export folder has to be 16 bit. If the song is 24 bit the file has to be 24 bit or it won’t show up in the AW1600. It will be on the AW harddrive but won’t be accessale in a song of a different bit rate.

10) Be sure to close the popup and then go to the icon tray to disconnect the AW1600. It will say "Safe to Remove Yamaha 1600"
11) Push the ENTER button on the AW1600 to disconnect from computer
12) You will get a message on the AW1600…Device Removed On PC?

Highlight “OK” and press ENTER

If for some reason the popup with the View Files doesn’t appear, go to my computer and access the drive with the Transport folder and access it through there.

Quote: (rockin4themaster @ Nov. 26 2010, 8:19 PM)

Mark
Long time no see bro!!! Great to see ya! Thanks for the comments!
I'm on guitars and bass. The rest are collab guys.
I'm tracking on a Yamaha AW1600 and mixing on n-Track.
Using KRK Rokit 5 monitors.
Used my Shadow for guitar.(Droped whole step tuning)for rym guitar.
Luna (LesPaul copy) for solo standard tuning.
For bass I'm using a Yamaha active kinda lower end quality.
Podxt for guitars and bass. We are working on a cd.
Where ya been hanging out lately? Got any new music?
later...
Bill

PM on it's way - rather than clutter up the thread.

Thanks for the info on the recording process. It always fascinates me to hear what other people are doing/using.