mixdown DOESNT work

ive filled out a feedback form like 2 months ago and never got an answer about this problem. so im resorting to using the forum.

heres the problem:
if i try to mixdown two tracks and have that mixdown replace the two tracks that i mixeddown the program will crash or it will replace all the tracks in the song. does anyone else have this problem? does anyone else know what is wrong? does it have to do with sampling rates, cause i now record at 48000 instead of 44100. anyway heres my hardware:

creative sound blaster live! value
pentium 4 2.4ghz C
512mb ram
ati radeon 9500 pro
windows xp pro

and i just downloaded the updated build of ntrack and it still doesnt work.

version 3 used to work and then i paid to upgrade to version 4 and that doesnt work?

Kevin,

Does it tell you anything at crash, or just disappear?

Definely start out by redownloading and reinstalling the program, n-track is very reliable. You may have gotten a corrupted archive.

When you say: “it will replace all the tracks in the song” - didn’t you want that? You said “replace the two tracks that i mixeddown”. Does it replace the wav files with other files?? That would be very peculiar.

Sometimes virus scanners or other TSR programs can interfer with it. But again, very uncommon.

Are you mixing down whilst listening?

.-=gp=-.

I would say, you should have came here a month ago and you’d have your answer by now! :p tee hee

But seriously, with a 2.6 I would rull out running at 48000 as the problem. But it does sound like you telling the computer to replace 44000 files with the new 48000 one(based on your post). That might be part of it.
Is there a reason you can’t just mix down the two tracks to one wav. then manually bring that new track into the project file? Then just delete the two tracks you don’t want anymore? After you listen to the new track and make shure it sounds like you wanted it too, of course.
Switching different versions of Ntrack, different frequencies, all in the same song file seems like your just askin’ for trouble.
Doesn’t seem like that hard of a problem to solve.
Just hang in there, and check this thread tomorrow, you should have a slue of better responces by then.

keep shinin’ and try and stay positive.

jerm

I would download the current upgrade.

jeremy. every the optimist. Anyways, yeah. exactly what are you doing when you try to mix down? Are you trying to mix down to a different sample rate, like jeremy suggested? That’s a good thought. Don’t do that. In my opinion, don’t use n-track to convert anything. It is asking for problems. use an offline converter program. There are many good free ones. But crashing when you mixdown two tracks? It shouldn’t do this, in my experience. Does it do it when you offline mixdown and don’t tell it to replace the track? ???

Oh, and try the upgrade.

ok so here is the situation:

i have three tracks in my song file right. i want to mix track one and two together and replace them with the mixdown of them. so i go to mixdown, i select the two i want to mixdown, i deselect the process master channel option, and i select the replace with tracks option. it then does the mixdown. either the program will crash after it gives the dialoge for exporting the old tracks OR it will replace all of the tracks including the 3rd track which i didnt select in the mixdown options to replace.

im not at my computer now but ill take snapshots and ill also look to see what error it gives me. thanks for the help ill post again in a few hours.

Hey Kev,

I tried this at home last night. Unfortunately for you (not for me :p ) I can’t reproduce the problem. More clues later maybe? Somebody will iron it out for you.

TG

ok here are the steps with pictures:

heres my song and i opened up the properties just to show you that too.

so i want to mix the two red tracks at the bottom together and have that mix replace them in the song.

so i start the mixdown and it tells me that midi wont work, so i say no to that dialogue

then it finishes mixing down the file and it asks what to do with the two tracks that used to be in the song.

and i say dont export them, just keep them in the directory, cause i still want the files. as soon as i press ok, and error pops up.

so i click to look at the code that went wrong but i have no idea what it means but i took a pic. should i send the file too? or copy the contents of the error window?

any way to get in contact with the guy who programs ntrack? any suggestions at all?

Try doing the mixdown without the “replace” option. If that works it means the problem lies with the replace rather than the mixdown itself.

Just curious… why do you want to mix those two tracks and re-import? You could (probably) obtain the same results using freeze (if you’re trying to save resources), or sending the tracks to a group if you are trying to combine the two tracks for ease of editing. Or you could mixdown, then manually import the new track.

Yes, N-track should work, but a workaround will at least mean you can carry on with something useful.

Mark

I had that exact same problem and when I emailed Flavio he said he couldn’t reproduce it. I’ve had many other similar problems that “could not be reproduced” but seemed obvious.

Glad to know it’s not just me. I keep giving “N” another chance but I’m running out of hair to pull. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and go “commercial”. I really like the look and features of “N” but the stability issues are driving me insane.

I’m with Mark on trying to acheive the same results another way.(I think as I suggested before)
It seems your getting stuck on doing things your way, instead of just getting thing done. In the end it’s the results that matter.
One thing I did notice, in your illustations. You have (use soundcards setting) chosen. I’m wondering why, you wouldn’t at least be recording in 16bit. CD quality?
With your fab, system you might even be able to go with 24bit.
Here’s another suggestion take it or leave it.
I would try removing the midi files from the song for now (don’t worry as long as you don’t save ths sng. file when your done they will still be there next time you open it.)
As we said before, mix down your drum 2 drum tracks to one wav.
Now Close that file. (don’t save)
Reopen the sng. file. You should see what you started with. Remove both of your wav. drum files.(I wouldn’t delet just yet)
Now import the mixdown track you just made. You just accomplished your goal, and now get on with the rest of your life.
Unless of course your still stuck on this one method. In that case, carry on, and good luck.
:p

jerm

yeah its just annoying that i have to change my way of doing it because there is a bug that hasnt been caught. i know i can get around it, but id rather just do it the same way i always did, you know, kind of make the recording process a little less annoying. oh and i use the sound card setting default cause i know its 16 bit, i have a sb live value card in there and all it can do is 16bit. i have onboard sound and it does 24bit, but its really noisy and isnt worth it, plus the tracks will be 16bit on the cd anyway. yeah i tried it with another song where there were no midi tracks, and it worked by the way. perhaps it has something to do with the fact that i have midi tracks. it would be interesting to know what sound card the other guys whos been having these problems using. if you could reply and let us know maybe could get this bug ironed out!

Thanks kev,
for putting up with my rant.
I don’t know if you know this or not. But I’m pretty shure you can convert your Midi files to wav. files in Ntrack.
I’ve never even had a Midi file so wouldn’t now how to do it. But from years of lurking I have learned a thing or two, that will certainly come in handy when I someday plurge and upgrade from 2.3 to the current version.
And maybe, just maybe I will learn how to use this program to it’s full potential.
Instead of simply using it like a 4track recorder.

BTW, that was a drum track your trying to mixdown heh? You never said, but after years of looking at wav. files just seemed right to me.

:D

keep trackin’

jerm

i figured it out! i mean i havent fixed it, but i figured out whats wrong, it works if there are one or no midi tracks in the song. regardless of whether they are muted or or not durning mixdown. if you have more than one midi file in your song and you mixdown anything with the replace option it doesnt work and it crashes the program. it doesnt matter if the instruments are the same or on different channels, either way it will crash the program. so now with that said, can some one get flavios fucking attention and tell him there is a bug that he needs to fix!? please god!

oh and yes, they are drum takes, good eye!

The sequence of screenshots was very useful in trying to reproduce the problem. I’ve just uploaded Build 1772 should fix the problem. Please let me know if you still have this or other similar problems.

Flavio.

i figured it out! i mean i havent fixed it, but i figured out whats wrong, it works if there are one or no midi tracks in the song. regardless of whether they are muted or or not durning mixdown. if you have more than one midi file in your song and you mixdown anything with the replace option it doesnt work and it crashes the program. it doesnt matter if the instruments are the same or on different channels, either way it will crash the program. so now with that said, can some one get flavios fucking attention and tell him there is a bug that he needs to fix!? please god!

Ahhh. There's a good lesson here. Unfortunately it took you two months to figure out the details of the problem. If it took you that long, it would take Flavio even longer without any details. As he says in his posts, the screen shots are what helped.

I've had two bugs fixed in the last week both within 24 hours because I could give an exact set of steps to replicate the problem. Believe me, I run a team of s/w developers as a day job and there's nothing worse than somebody who says that something goes wrong when they did something but they're not sure what it was, or what the error message was............

The point being..... the way to get problems fixed quickly is to be able to give Flavio the information to fix them. ie try things out until the problem is tracked down.... in this case has more than one midi file...

Oh, and then the person to attract Flavio's attention would be you...........

Mark

yeah will i am more than happy to provide detail, as i am also aware of the problems that come along with software dev. however the support form, is actually only a form that is for feedback, perhaps if there were more specific questions or about the problem description in the “feedback” form it would help him more. either way the reason it took so long for me to figure it out is because there are always 2 midi tracks in our song files, and it never did this before v 4. so how i was i supposed to know it was the midi files? there was no indication and since i didnt program ntrack i had no idea.

oh and on a side note, i filled out the feedback form twice and never got an answer, so the attention thing, doesnt really work unless hes not busy. because i assume he is really busy.

with all that complaning aside though, thanks a lot flavio for fixing this program so quickly after i posted my original message! from now on when i have a prob ill just post here with pics, seems to get the job done.

thanks!