Mixdown Problem

Double-Time

When I mixdown offline, everything is fine.
When I mixdown online, n-trak makes a wav file that plays back double-time!
Mixing down online is important to my work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-SYG

Is it a sample rate issue?

What sample rate are the wavs in your project and what rate are you mixing down to?

I’ve never used realtime mixdown but I would imagine that if you do it real time you would have to stick to the same sample rate the project wavs are in as N wouldn’t be able to convert on the fly…

Quote (RichLum @ Mar. 21 2006,23:03)
Is it a sample rate issue?

What sample rate are the wavs in your project and what rate are you mixing down to?

I've never used realtime mixdown but I would imagine that if you do it real time you would have to stick to the same sample rate the project wavs are in as N wouldn't be able to convert on the fly...

Thanks for the reply.
Everthing is 44100.
Perhaps it would help to say that I have been using n-trak for years and have never had this proplem untill about 10 monts ago, so I am wondering if perhaps it is something connected to newer versions.

I agree this is a bug that should be squashed and I also have no idea what is causing it, but I am curious why you want to do the mixdown on-line.

What you hear will be the same as playing the mix and you won’t be able to change anything without aborting the mixdown and redoing it after the changes, so it seems to me that the off-line mixdown costs very little additional time and is usually faster.

Jim

Quote (jimbob @ Mar. 22 2006,11:48)
I agree this is a bug that should be squashed and I also have no idea what is causing it, but I am curious why you want to do the mixdown on-line.

What you hear will be the same as playing the mix and you won’t be able to change anything without aborting the mixdown and redoing it after the changes, so it seems to me that the off-line mixdown costs very little additional time and is usually faster.

Jim

Thanks for the reply, Jim.
Two things:
1.When you say you agree, does that mean that you replicated the problem?
2.As regards the ease of offline: At my level of expertise, it is often easiest to do a quick manual in real time, and be done.
-SYG

No I haven’t reproduced it but since the mixdown does not actually have to involve the soundcard (unless Flavio is doing things the hard way), it seems unlikely to be related to the soundcard or drivers (see below). One possibility is that the header information which informs the soundcard of the sample rate is being incorrectly written or that the driver is failing to recognize that information properly. I understand that there may be some differences in header info (such as with “broadcast .wav” formats) which might not be recognized by all soundcards.

A few questions may help someone diagnose the problem:

Is the song playing at twice the tempo but the correct pitch or are pitch and tempo both affected?
Is the problem with audio or MIDI or both?
If you play the file on a different computer with a different soundcard does it still play double time?
If you burn the song to CD does it play at double-time?

If it burns to CD at the proper rate, that would suggest a soundcard/driver issue, as would playing OK on another computer.

If it plays badly everywhere that would suggest that the file was “bad” which would be an N-tracks problem.

If tempo is doubled but pitch is not, that suggests a wierd bug in N-tracks causing it to employ a pitch shifter type algorithm inappropriately. If it is a MIDI file this might point to a different section of the program as the cause.

If both pitch and time are affected that implies a sample rate issue, either in N-tracks or in the way your drivers read the header information. If it works elsewhere then it is probably not an N-track issue.

Jim

Quote (jimbob @ Mar. 22 2006,17:05)
A few questions may help someone diagnose the problem:

Jim, thanks again for your detailed response.
I am on the road gigging for ten days, away from the computer, so, with your kind indugence, I will have to pick this up again when I get home.
Best,
-SYG

OK, back off the road.
If anyone can replicate the problem and tell me how to solve it, I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks.
-SYG

In addition to Jim’s questions, what version (and build number) of N are you using ?

W

Quote (Wihan Stemmet @ April 05 2006,10:54)
In addition to Jim's questions, what version (and build number) of N are you using ?

W

OK, Wihan. Doing the homework. Back soon. Thanks.
-SYG