mixdown probs

totally distorted

I purchased N-track primarily to play around with and to help my sons practice music by making and recording songs, so my understanding of all the complexities of N-track will not likely ever be real great. That being said I am having problems with mixing down one of our the songs we are done with. It is a simple 12 bar blues type song with a couple of organ tracks, a couple of guitar tracks, bass and drums. It all sounds alright (well like a train wreck really, they are just starting after all), but mixdown product is clipped to the point of complete silence. I do not have this problem when I mixdown the drum and bass tracks. What do I need to do pre-mixdown to get nice mixed down product?

While I am at it, I use Drum site to lay the drum track (i mention this because it may have something to do with my mixdown problem). When I export the drum track to a wave file and open it in N-track, it seems that there is two tracks in one. In otherwords two identical tracks in one track like it is exported in stereo or something. I have not been able to find anything in Drumsite that will alter this. Also when I mixdown the drums and bass, the “twin” track situation is retained and it looks like bass is mixed down with both of the drum tracks

Any help is appreciated.

but mixdown product is clipped to the point of complete silence.

Huh? Clipping to silence? Usually, clipping makes an awful distortion. But assuming it is clipping, turn down the master fader until the clipping goes away.

When I export the drum track to a wave file and open it in N-track, it seems that there is two tracks in one. In otherwords two identical tracks in one track like it is exported in stereo or something.

Um, that is exactly what it is doing, creating a stereo export. This is normal stuff, don't worry about it. That is how it is supposed to work.

If it sounds ok during playback but clips the mixdown, maybe you’ve got “process master channel” unticked in the mixdown settings… (is there an echo in here?)

Mark

when I say that it clips to the point of silence, I mean the wave file looks like one solid mass in the track window, just one big massive nothing, essentially it is way beyond the distorted sound that occurs with a normal clip.

One big massive nothing? Either it is something or it isn’t… :;): Is it just a tapeworm looking wave form? I think Mark may be on to something. Can you post a screen shot of the settings you use to mix down 'cause that ain’t normal…

Offline mixdown or Mixdown while playing? My guess is Offline mixdown.

Try Mixdown while playing. That way what you get is what you hear. That should be very telling.

Quote (thompsoi @ Mar. 08 2005,14:40)
when I say that it clips to the point of silence, I mean the wave file looks like one solid mass in the track window, just one big massive nothing, essentially it is way beyond the distorted sound that occurs with a normal clip.

This description could also describe a track with nothing recorded.

What db levell are you getting in your Record VU (average) when you record a track or tracks? Try for, between -9db and -5db to play it safe. Nothing higher than -6db. Then when you have your tracks in the Track view in Ntrack, highlight any one of them, click edit and choose normalize. Scan the whole file and see what it says, if your in the -9 to -6db range then your doing good at that stage. Cancle your normalize dialog box untill your sure you like what you have, you would then click ok to bring the peacks of the track up to 0vu or you can enter something like -2.00 and work with that. Set a standard for each track. Then set your mix settings, the individual track eq'ing and volume adjustments and your master channell volume and effects. use the playback vu to check for clips. The master channell volum nob turns red when cipping happens so if you see it bring the volume down a couple clicks. You want to try to get your mix down recorded to sterio at around -2 or -3 db... then master that mixdown with your final touch of effects for your overall sound, you want a couple db of head room for that final mix... After that mixdown you will have a master that you can normalize to 0 vu. Pratice makes it better :D

I also use drumsite for arranging it;s very cool!
You can have drumsite export the tracks as individual tracks, sterio or mono i think! But as they are apearing in ntrack, so will your recorded tracks as you get then hang of it!
Good luck, and stick with the bluze, bluze is kewl! ;-)
Tom

Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried the a few of the various suggestions last night and was able to get a mixed down wave file, that, at the very least will impress grandparents. I will have to work with some of Toms suggestions, though, and work on my n-track saviness.