Mixing board opinions

I got a copy of Cubase with a sound card recently and hate it.
I thought Cubase was the app to get? Aren't there several versions of it, i.e., where you using the Pro version?

Um, I thought n-track was the app to get. Anywho, I encourage you to get your hands on Cubase for an afternoon. It’s not fun. There are 10 windows for everything… one for MIDI, one for audio, one for VSTis, etc. As for the “pro” version, no it is not SX, but the differnce is very slight in the work flow. I just hate having to navigate all over the place. I suppose it is okay with a multi monitor setup though.

Um, I thought n-track was the app to get.
Let me re-phrase what I meant before I get in big trouble. If one were to buy a high-end Pro recording package (Wintel), I've heard that Cubase is the best one.

On the "lower" end scale, nTrack is the best IMO. But then again, I don't have alot of time to go trying other low-end packages (like the one Mac was raving about over on audiominds). When something works for me, I stick with it until my requirements change, etc.
Let me re-phrase what I meant before I get in big trouble.

Hee hee. :D

But seriously there are a whole lot more options other than Cubase... SawStudio, Samplitude, Logic, Sonar. I am the same. They don't have anything I need that n-track doesn't have.

Understood but I heard Cubase was the “best”, particularly for MIDI. Did I hear wrong?

Come on, you know better than that. I heard a Strat is best, why does it suck when I play Korn tunes? I heard a Les Paul is best, why does it suck for my chicken pickin’ country tunes? I heard a Twin was best, how come it sucks for death metal? Know whut I mean, Vern? You need to spend more time on the recording side of the board. :;):

“best” was in “quotes”

I heard protools was the ‘best’. But I still use n-track 3.3. Having tried out a few different ones, n was the one that did everything I needed, I could understand how to use it, and the price wasn’t too bad either.

Quote (Bubbagump @ Sep. 14 2004,12:10)
Anywho, I encourage you to get your hands on Cubase for an afternoon. It's not fun. There are 10 windows for everything..

Ain't that the freakin' truth. Cubase works but man it has the most counter-intuitive and butt-ugly GUI out there. I'm talking Cubase VST 5.1 here. Don't know SX.

TG

I’ve used cubase sx2 and nuendo and the two things i’ve noticed is that cubase lets me run 24 tracks at 24bit 48k without any problems. My n track will bring up an error saying that my resources are getting low. I am using the eq and comp on most of the channels but nothing else. On cubase I will usually have 3-4 plugs on each track. N-track software can drive a little harder and gives me a harder sound and cubase seems to be geared more towards electronic music. It seems hard to make it pump when using compressors and such. The eq on ntrack really blows cubase away.
Then again I think I’m going to start recording on 2 track analog, mix in mono and get a bunch of 8-track cassettes printed up.(I really miss that format :) )

I found Cakewalk to be exactly the same, i.e., I couldn’t begin to understand the UI. Of course, I only tried it for 10 minutes :laugh:

However, I did use Sonic Foundry’s pre-Vegas software & found it very easy to use like nTrack.

Quote (gtr4him @ Sep. 14 2004,15:13)
Ain't that the freakin' truth. Cubase works but man it has the most counter-intuitive and butt-ugly GUI out there. I'm talking Cubase VST 5.1 here. Don't know SX.

TG

SX and Nuendo are no different. I have played with them a few times each an dit is the same deal. I will say, there are a ton of little bells and whistles, but nothing so earth shattering to warrant that much pain in navigation. As for "best" referring to the most stable/never crashes, ProTools TDM is probably it, but it is sooooooo expensive and requires all sorts of special hardware.

I can’t agree with that Bubba.

Yes, VST is a right pain in the arse to learn and to use, but I’ve found SX2 is a whole different story.

I’ll agree that it’s not as easy nor intuitive as n, but for me it’s a whole lot more stable, either on its own or using it with Rewire, and after you get to grips with it, it is much easier to use than VST, and much more versatile than n.

But, perfect it ain’t, and every prog has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it’s horses for courses, whatever suits you is best. :)

And n-track does have its pluses, which is probably why I’ll never do away with it all together.

Ali

Quote (Ali @ Sep. 14 2004,16:06)
I can't agree with that Bubba.

Yes, VST is a right pain in the arse to learn and to use, but I've found SX2 is a whole different story.

I'll agree that it's not as easy nor intuitive as n, but for me it's a whole lot more stable, either on its own or using it with Rewire, and after you get to grips with it, it is much easier to use than VST, and much more versatile than n.

I'm am talking from a dead easy to use stand point. You agree with me there I think, n-track is dead easy and SX/Nuendo take time to learn, though no VST. And yes, the Steinberg stuff does have more doodads. I think we do agree actually. ANd at the en dof the day if the song sucks, who cares. :)
ANd at the en dof the day if the song sucks, who cares.

Yep, and it's due to that very valid point, that every argument of mine collapses! :D

Ali