Mixing Board Question

What Board is recommended?

Hello,

I have a Behringer UB1202 Eurorack mixer. I’m having a bussing problem with it in regards to multi tracking.

Could someone recommend a mixer in the same price range ($99 retail) that works well with N-tracks?

Thank you!
Jim

What’s the problem you are having?

I’ll record a track on track one. Then when I record a track on track two, I get a combination on track two of tracks one and two. When I record on track three, it’s a mix of tracks one, two and three and so on.

It’s not a sound card issue. I’ve checked that out. A good friend whose very tech savvy (vp of a software company) checked it out and says it’s a bussing issue with the board.

Thanks,
Jim

I’ve looked into this mixer for people on other boards. The circuitry in the bussing is a little different.

Check out yamaha mg10/2. I have the 16/4, and know there’s people using the smaller versions with good luck tracking

Sounds like you’re monitoring into the mixer…Yes?

I use 2 mixers…1 for my inputs and 1 for the outs for monitoring 2 soundcards. This keeps the signals separate and gives you more routing options.

The best monitoring mixer out there (as far as price AND high quality) IMO is the Soundcraft Compact 10.

Behringers suck BTW. My friend just tossed his and moved up to a Mackie. He is overwhelmed by how much better it is…better preamps, better construction, more routing choices…

Soundcraft is a very good mixer. Check it out.

KingFish

Thanks, folks! Your advice is much appreciated!

Jim

You should be able to use the board you have but you will have to either not use it for monitoring the output or use the FX send to feed your soundcard.

If you don’t take the outputs from the sound card to the mixer and instead feed them directly to headphones or a separate amp you can use the stereo outputs to record two simultaneous tracks with one panned hard left and one panned hard right.

If you only want to record one channel at a time you can use the FX send to feed that channel to the soundcard and use the stereo outputs for monitoring.

There are other Behringer boards that are a little more convenient since they have inserts which can be used to feed the soundcard so that you can use the stereo output to monitor without re-recording the tracks you are monitoring. Any board which has inserts or multiple aux sends can be used in this manner, you just have to look at the block diagram and follow the signal flow. For the UB1202 the block diagram is in the specification section of the website and it shows that there are only three busses and no inserts. If you only used the board for recording and not for monitoring this will give you up to 3 channels of gain-controlled discrete outputs.

The Behringer UBB1002 actually is a better board in terms of flexibility and near the same price. Not only can it be battery powered, but it has 4 busses (stereo, FX and monitor) as well as inserts on two channels, giving the possibility of either getting 4 discrete outputs (2 inserts plus FX and monitor) in addition to allowing you to use the stereo channels as a monitor, or 6 channels of simultaneous recording (2 inserts, FX and Monitor, and stereo out with 2 channels panned in opposite directions) without monitoring (assuming you have the extra A/D channels with a multi-input soundcard). One downside of this board is that the phantom power doesn’t work with all mics due to a lower phantom voltage than “pro” boards (it will not power my Neuman mics but will power my Shure VP88).

In any case, the block diagram is one of the most important tools for evaluating the suitability of a mixer for a given purpose. Learn to read it and a lot of things will become clearer. There are lots of alternatives these days but it can be confusing (sometimes deliberately obscure in the case of some “USB” boards) if you are not familiar with how the board is organized. Of course the block diagram will not tell you the quality of the board, just its organization.

Good Luck,
Jim

Thank you for the information! It was great!

Thanks,
Jim

My Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro with its’ Alt 3/4 possibilities does it for me :)

Jim, if you live anywhere near a big town or city, check out local music stores and pawnshops. I have found great deals on high quality used gear. Look especially for Soundcraft and Yamaha gear. Their stuff sounds great, and is built to last. And don’t forget to check craigslist.com!

Good luck! :)
'til next;
tw