Mixing (The Quite Way)

Awesome post, LearJeff.

I guess this topic has a bit of controversy as some say do it just for the loud parts, others say do it for the entire session.

I definately do not have the perfect environment for recording. Just like you, I use my computer room to do the mixing and at night I have to use the headphones so that people can sleep. But based on your theory, the 87db , or conversation level, should not be that loud so others cannot sleep.

I will probably go and get me one of those SPL readers from Radio Shak.

Thanks again.

...but I believe we are MORE sensitive to Midrange at lower levels
John - I won't say it but this has to do with the E word :laugh:

Mr Soul

TomS, you’re right that we do tend to adjust.

So, if you always listen at 70dB SPL, and listen to all your favorite CDs at this level, and mix at this level to make your mixes balance out similarly to your favorite CDs in the same genre, then things will work just fine. Loudness compensation is more important if you listen at different levels at different times. Even then your ear (really, your mind and ear) adjust somewhat, but they don’t adjust completely.

It is the kind of thing where you can use your judgement rather than calibrating your system and using the Loudness switch, etc. Being aware of it, and listening to the effect in well-engineered commercial CDs, and just paying attention, using your ears, and using your brain, you can get by quite well without perfection.

But I suggest you use that loudness switch, if you have one. Some audiophile purists would disagree, because it (any filter) causes some phase shifts. And they’d have a good point, but my mixes (and most mixes done by amateurs) won’t suffer too much from the small amount of artifacts introduced. But that’s JMHO. Folks with more sensitive ears might know better than I do! I’m definitely not a golden-eared one.

Hey, fvfv: something that’s a lot more important than Fletcher Munson compensation, and more important in the short term to listening levels: speaker placement. Sure, you’re using headphones now. But when you move up to speakers:

1) Don’t use the surround-sound system – not made for this task! They’re made to make “everything sound lush and wonderful”, a lot like many Bose speakers. Not good for mixing. Maybe if you have a really good system with fairly flat speakers, and you disable the rear speakers for the task, OK. But by “really good” I mean audiophile stuff, not home-theater-geek stuff. You CAN use that system for “comparison monitoring”, when you check an almost done mix on everyone’s stereo (bring the beers and make the rounds!)

2) What you want are relatively flat speakers, but don’t need to be fantastic fabulous wondrous etc. The key is: you can’t fix what you can’t hear. Relatively small speakers are best, using “near-field monitoring”.

3) Place the speakers at roughly ear height, in an equilateral triangle with your head at one corner and the speakers at the other two. Same distance between all. (You can depart from this somewhat, up to a 45 degree angle from your head.) They should be from 3 to 6 feet away, ideally more like 3 or 4.

4) KEEP THE SPEAKERS AWAY FROM THE WALLS! Ideally, as far from the wall as from your head. Practically, the first foot is crucial, 2 feet away really helps a lot, and after 3 feet you’re starting to hit diminishing returns. This helps to take the room out of the equation. It doesn’t do it fully, but it does take the 1st order effects out (direct reflections, but ignoring resonance).

5) Listen to a LOT of your favorite music in your mixing gear, just the way you’d listen to your mixes. Really. A LOT. This really helps to avoid the need to compensate for Fletcher Munson and friends. Feel free to EQ your monitor setup a little so that it sounds pleasing to you, but it’s probably best to get real used to it run flat first, and only adjust much later if you really feel it’s needed.

I guess I should save this page for my upcoming book … (just kidding!)

I’ve noticed that if I use several playback sources,good and bad, my mixes vary.I’am taking suggestions and hoping to develope my own style.Good luck.
doveman26