Moderate G.A.S.

wheels of steel

Got them old monitors back from the Genelec factory some days ago. I had them overhauled there earlier, so this repair was on the guarantee from the previous one. Which was nice.

Ordered a Shure SM57 from Thomann, just now. I had also planned getting some other stuff, but rumour has it that the Technics SL-1200 turntable is being discontinued, so I decided to get one of those instead of a control surface for the studio.

I’m not a DJ, I just feel my cool is not complete without a 1200.

I:-T

Cool. How are they sounding?

I hear you…

:laugh:

I have a Sony Direct drive turntable outta the '70’s…
It’s so nice…
However, I doesn’t see much service these days…
like all the other old stuff I have…
I have a Marantz 3200 Stereo preamp same vintage… One channel is not working…
I’d like to get it up-and-running…
It’s so nice…
However, I don’t know what’s wrong with it…
I still want to get it up-and-running for the studio and all…
I’m gonna have to break down and get someone to look at it for me…
It’s a Classic/Vintage preamp… They just don’t make stuff like this anymore…
:p

I’m somewhat familiar with that SL-1200 Turntable…
Those are pretty Hi-End…
I believe…
It seems to me that all the DJs used that turntable…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Those Genelec Boxes should should sound so nice…

By-the-way, I got a Yamaha P-2500 power amp yesterday, to replace that Peavey M-2600 power amp for the Studio monitor system over here…
I’m working on tying it into the system before the weekend…
I have so much work to do out there, it ain’t funny…
However, the weather is cooling off over here…
I don’t like cold weather…
I’m not built for these latitudes, anymore.
:(

Wow. Flutter. Rumble.

And every time you play a record, a tiny little bit of the music disappears forever.

Maybe progress ain’t so bad… :agree:

'til later;
tw

I hear you…
I remember two soup cans and a long piece of twine…
I went from there to a crystal set…
Turntables weren’t so bad…
Were they ????

Bill…

Bill, I remember a brand-new copy of Led Zeppelin 4, lucked into at Woolworth’s the day before the radio stations here in Atlanta got a copy, and the way that sound convinced me that life was worth living so long as somebody, somewhere could make music like that, and I could hear it. I wonder if the digital world has experiences like that for the young people.

And it does not change what I said before. My CD of that recording will still sound the same after thousands of hours listening, but my original vinyl wore out decades ago, and was replaced multiple times until I got the CD. Maybe my ears are worn out, but it still sounds great to me… :)

'til next time;
tony w

• I bought a old and cheap turntable secondhand a year or so ago. from It sounded surprisingly nice through my very modest HiFis. I decided then that the vinylheads are right, after all.

- If one gets some kind of satsfaction from some material posession, thats allright, I think. These are small things, after all. So go ahead and get that old gear running, it will be good.

- Me, i’m missing a proper winter. All this greyness is depressing. To each his own,.

- I have not enough prior experience with pro monitors to judge the sound of the Genelecs, but I will attempt an description. They seem very precise. They are also can go really loud. At high volume, they sound a bit harsh, as there is no extra warmth or added bass boom typical of home HiFi speakers. I guess that is a good thing.

I think the limitations of vinyl put more of an emphasis on the music
and the mix rather than on the loudness. Which was a good thing

:agree:

Here's some friends o' mine.

http://www.iceband.net/eyeshop.htm

On a simmilar note, (gimme an E Lilly) I'm building up to digging out a ton of floppies for my old Atari STe, Akai and EVS1 with the plan of shuttling 40 or so songs over to n-T. Do they degrade?

Are those the same kind of diskettes used for PC’s? Pretty unreliable, does “Bad sectors” or “Critical error” sound familiar?

Vintage gear has its charm, but floppies… you really need to be patient working with floppies. Lucky, too.

Transferring the songs seems like a good idea all the same.
I have a box full of old floppies myself, not music, but other stuff that should be sorted… no hurry.

The link seemed slow here, BTW. A bit pretenderish, from what little I was able to hear. I.E. pretenderish
as associated with C. Hynde. Which is nice.

Yeah. Pretender-ish. They’ll like that quote.
But did you check the new release vinyl? Pick a colour:-)

Those a pretty enough to hang from a Christmas tree:-)

I might get my dad one for a Christmas gift and watch him try to play it :laugh:

An update about buying stuff over the internet:
I just wrote an email to the Customer service of Thomann Cyberstore. I got some stuff I did not want. The packaging was bad, and for a while I was worried that the turntable was damaged.

A question:
Something curious about the Shure I ordered. The windscreen and the plastic collar around it can easily be rotated, they also move up and down a bit. They cannot be tightened. Cant remember anything like this from my band days, even if the mics we used had seen some rough gigs. Is this normal for a new SM57?

Hmm!? There is a thread here about rip-off 57’s. I’ve just ordered one from Gear4Music, who have offered me their reputation on a plate.
There was a rule that the rip-off’s haven’t got sure written on them but I’ve heard that that may not still be the case. There are, however, discrepencies in the weight and screws.

I got my replacement SM57 a few days ago. It was identical to the one I sent back, so I emailed Shure:

I recently bought an SM57 LCE microphone from Thomann, a big internet shop here in the EU.
The windscreen was loose, so I sent it back. Both the metal mesh and the black frame were rotating, also moving up and down a bit. Now I got an replacement, but the windscreen has the same problem.

Have I got an faulty product, or is the windscreen actually supposed to be like that? I’d imagine it would need to be firmly attached to avoid vibrations.

Their response was as follows:

Of course we know Thomann. Actually it was our intention to make it be possible to rotate. Therefore you do not have a faulty product. But if this is a problem for you you can send it to the service department of our distributor in your country. He will fix it:

Included was the address to their distributor.

This statement seems odd, what is the windscreen like on the 57’s you guys around here have got? I can picture the plastic frame rattling around when miking something like a
bass cabinet. I also can’t remember the mic being like that, but then my memory of the
rock-n-roll lifestyle is a bit blurred:-)

TIA!

Mine are exactly the same. Why would they make it like that intentionally?