Mojave Mic

Hi jeremysdemo and Topic Readers:

I have all the intentions of filling my audio toy lockers with audio stuff I used to see when I was in audio tracking and mixing rooms way back when…
Then, I look in my mailbox and see Utility Invoices and other accounts filling my mailbox…
sigh…
They never seem to stop coming in…
I wonder why ????
hehe…
I wonder if they all know I need MoNeY to satisfy my Audio Gear habit ????

In all honesty, I’d have to say, anytime I used that Apex to Mic track or DI track any tracks I was left with a Big Disappointment in my mind as to I got the Track Response I did…
I’m sure I gave it my best setup experience I could muster and in-the-end I could never reach the In/Out gain dynamics I expected to reach from hearing the repro of my efforts…

Did you say there was an Internet Site that discussed a mod update that could bring that 207 Preamp outta it’s misery ????
I’d be interested in seein what could be done with this box…

Thanks for any help, in pointing me to a link on this project I’d like to take on,

jeremysdemo

Bill…

Is it the Aphex 207d?

If memory serves me correct the regular 207 had problems with noise due to subgrade transistors and oh amps and what not, I looked for the thread when they first came out and the manufacturer was spamming the forums about them…but couldn’t find it.

IT was a hit or miss from what I remember, some people got good ones and others got duds, like I said there was a lot of hype let down and then bad press and mudslinging to follow, since it was a “group buy” you can imagine.
I could not find the mod thread, something about boosting the transformer and bridging something or other…but that the manufacture was not sharing the diagrams…it has been a few years… ???

In reading some of the threads I could find it was the 107 that got a lot of neg rep, and some people even praised the 207.

Here is a thread I did find of interest over at the forum you linked to;

Aphex 207 mod
They go into some detail about the science behind the electronics in friendly spirited debate, but the threads I am thinking of in years past went into more upgrade detail about power supplies and replacing the tube and such.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Hi Again jeremysdemo:

I went over to that Message Board (Gearslutz) and signed up/registered, and all…
At the moment there is some 6600 members signed in…
It’s very intimidating, over there…
:)
:p
:laugh:
to say-the-least…lol…
hehehe…

Bill…

[edit] I’m gonna spend some time there and wade through the topics, and see what I can see… :whistle:

Good idea, I lurked there for several years before I signed up an posted…

It was actually several years before I could afford any of the stuff that get’s talked about! :) so I just took notes…a lot of knowledgeable people there, many of them doing sound for major tours once you get a feel for who’s who you know what post to look for when wanting informed opinions on gear/setup.

keep shinin

Thanks for the heads up…
I am in the chat room right now…
Gettin acquainted…
and lookin around.

Bill…

Still intimidating… THOUGH…

OH bill don’t feel that way…

You’ll love the LOW END THEORY area!

I watched people come in there and say they want to build a studio for $10,000 and people just laugh at them.
:laugh: some snobs might say "I have one preamp and mic combo that cost that much"
But that’s why there is a “low end” area for so you wont feel intimidated asking questions about lower end gear, and you’d be surprised at some of the cheaper stuff you find on the gearlist of higher end studios…it ain’t always about the money sometimes it’s just knowing about a product before it hits the market and getting in a group buy…then BAM the company goes global sends all it’s work offshore, uses cheaper parts…and goes to the shitter, but you got one of the prototypes :)

keep shinin

If only you gents would have the opportunity to know RADAR Wayne…
We’d get into blazing chinwags regarding the ideal studio. It ranged from Acoustics to Gear-and-Wire…
I seem to remember finding ourselves raising our voices over the phone wire to get our points across…
Perceived Bottom End and how to control Bottom End Resignations in the studio-and-control room was a Hot Topic for us…

Among other topics…
???

Bill…

We discussed weather 10,000.00 would build the “Ground Plane” for the AC Mains wiring for the Studio… Out in the rocks-and-swamps that were around his place… Remember… A good Ground Plane accounts for a good Noise Floor in the Signal Path… :) Hehehe…

I’m going to name my next “CD” Chinwags.

Anyway, returning to the original topic… I’ve had Mojave Audio MA-201fet and Universal Audio Solo/610 as my vocal signal path for a while now and, worryingly, I’ve grown to enjoy listening my own voice… not only that, but some of my recordings have gotten praise from people who really can sing…

Hi Mwah:

Good to see you here…

That 201 you have…
Is it ? or is the 200 in the same series?
I’ve looked around here locally…
They are nowhere to be had… It seems to look like a pretty nice mic…
And that UA 610…
A couple of signal chains like that and a few pieces of wire.
????
What else could one need ?

Can I ask?
Anyway, What do you use, these days, for A/D-and-D/A converters????

Bill…

Hi, Bill!
Not been here a lot lately… it sort of happened I migrated out of nTS a couple of years ago (I think). A couple of the nTS versions didn’t work with my then-soundcard (EMU 1820) but an old Sonar version I had for midi editing did, so I started using Sonar for multitracking, too. Favio fixed things fast, of course, but I was gone, then.

(And so is the EMU. I’m using RME Fireface 800 these days. Nice…)

Mine’s MA-201fet, the non-tube one. I did order it from Germany after reading good reviews. Not disappointed. Yeah, the signal chain’s pretty nice, these days. All I need is some good guitar and bass playing. And great songs, of course.

:O :p :laugh:

You know, I'm green with envy over your hardware.. and glad for you that you've settled into an editor and hardware combination that you're comfortable with..

I've moved into m-Audio 192 hardware for editing, with.. I don't have any multi-tracking hardware yet.. I don't know yet, if I'm gonna be able to track in this new studio I'm putting together.. ????

Bill..