Monitoring setup during overdubbing?

What kind of setup do ya’ll use for sending a headphone mix during overdubbing? I can’t seem to get a good balance between the level of the tracks that have already been recorded and the mic signal being used for laying down a new track.

In the past, using an analog mixer, I would use a separate aux or foldback send to provide the overdubbing mix for the musicians. I don’t see this kind of fucntionality within NTrack, or am I missing something?

I do it on my interface (M-audio 1814) settings. There’s faders for inputs and return from the software.

You can do it on the soundcard interface if you have one with multiple inputs and outputs or simply turn the channel faders up and down in N track and build a “monitor mix” for overdubbing…don’t save it or that will be your project mix :)…as for multiple monitor mixes, I am unsure how to do that with N since I am a one man show at this point but is something you would need for multiple players who require different headphone feeds…

Ray

as mentioned,
you use the soundcard’s mixer function to mix new tracks with recorded tracks, or
you use the LIVE input processing with a new track armed

to do multiple monitor mixes, you turn on multiple outputs in the playback vu meter-each stereo output will show up in the mixer. use the aux sends/returns to set up mixes for individual outputs.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I do have a multiple output interface, a Tascam FW1884 and I would very much like to use an Aux buss from Ntrack for a headphone/cue mix. However, I can’t seem to find a way within N to assign an aux buss to an output.

However, I can't seem to find a way within N to assign an aux buss to an output.

I'm just getting started with ntrack. Can't that be done? If not that would be an excellent feature and I assume not that hard to implement.

Sure - same as normal aux sends on a mixer. Set the level you want to send to your aux channel on each track you want to include in your mix (and you’ll want this to be pre-fade). Then bring up the aux return level on the master channel for the output you want. You may need to enable multiple output channels if you’re only got one master output channel visible in the mixer.

-Dan

Danial’s got it. Each output pair has its own set of aux returns. It’s very easy to send dry signals to them for individual submix outputs.