mono mixing.

Anyone ever done any? I’m getting back into some projects again after a few months of daw loneliness:-( One being an experiment with a mono mix of a simple: voc, drums, bass, two guits kinda track.
I don’t know how often you guys hit the mono button but it’s a whole new rule book.

I don’t generally mix in mono but I do hit the mono button quite often. It’s a really good feeling when the mix still sounds great in mono!

I only have a one track mind. Does that count? More constructively, I’ve often wondered how Brian Wilson got all of those Beach Boys mixes to sound to rich and deep. He was interviewed and asked about that issue, a bit back, in Tape Op, but I didn’t find the answers very illuminating.

Aye. Like b/w photo, it’s archaic and wrong, which makes it interesting. I’m thinking cans are out for this so panning hard left to one monitor.

I love B&W photography, esp. wet plate photos. So much detail.

it’s the detail - all day. one eye, one ear

I hear its down to frquency ranges. Its something we should all bone up on I guess as part of mixing/mastering so our stuff sounds good on anything.

Quote: (Mark A @ Oct. 20 2011, 12:10 AM)

I don't generally mix in mono but I do hit the mono button quite often.
It's a really good feeling when the mix still sounds great in mono!

That. If it doesn't jive in mono... the mix sucks usually.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Oct. 21 2011, 9:47 AM)

Ok. So what if the intention is to achieve a good mono mix that isn't just a reference for a stereo one?
I've been checking loads of olde stuff, like Lead Belly (12 string, a faint whisper of rhythmic "finger tips on news paper" and a voice that could rip concrete apart) and some mono tape recordings of some pretty heavy philharmonic carp.
Starting to wish it was stereo - the whole project is bollox and is beginning to irritate me:-)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15285091/Fail.mp3
Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 21 2011, 4:06 PM)

Ok. So what if the intention is to achieve a good mono mix that isn't just a reference for a stereo one?
I've been checking loads of olde stuff, like Lead Belly (12 string, a faint whisper of rhythmic "finger tips on news paper" and a voice that could rip concrete apart) and some mono tape recordings of some pretty heavy philharmonic carp.
Starting to wish it was stereo - the whole project is bollox and is beginning to irritate me:-)

Haha.
Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 21 2011, 4:06 PM)

Then mix it... I don't get the hang up. You have the same tools available. Just dont pan anything. Frankly, mono is easier as It keeps you focused and out of the weeds of making things sound wide and sparkly.

but I like wide and sparkly! :p

oh wait this is about music. :laugh:

dontcare

What don’t you get, Bubba? It’s easy, I over-complicate everything;-)
It’s the narrow and dull that I’m interested in (Tranny under the pillow syndrome) and the reason I AM master-panning is so that I only have a single source so as to keep it real all the way.
My main problem is that I haven’t written a classic worthy of the time investment.

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 22 2011, 4:26 PM)

My main problem is that I haven't written a classic worthy of the time investment.

Yeah, that is sort of all of our problems. :D As soon as I figure a way to do that systematically (or even once)... I will let you know.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Oct. 24 2011, 9:51 AM)

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 22 2011, 4:26 PM)

My main problem is that I haven't written a classic worthy of the time investment.

Yeah, that is sort of all of our problems. :D As soon as I figure a way to do that systematically (or even once)... I will let you know.

Back at yuh.

Would you work through a mono mix starting with the most songitudinally important features first?