More Midi ???'s

Quote: (TomS @ Mar. 27 2010, 8:37 PM)

Of course it records midi!

The module receives the data.
It could received data from n, for example.

yep feelin pretty dumb right now.

I have never tried to record midi in Ntrack, it always says no midi device whether my GNX4 USB is plugged in or not.

The module receives the data.

Ok that helps Tom, it means I only need another long midi cable to go to the controller and a short one to go to the module that will be chained in a rack with the rest of the devices.
What I am actually asking is which device a midi song file would be stored in to be played, it sounds like you are saying the module, keeping in mind that there is no computer involved in my live set up, so either I have to continue letting the GNX4 transmit all the necessary midi program changes as well as play the midi drum file OR I need to let one of those two devices do it.
I mean I am enjoying the GNX4 doing it for now since it is hands free....I use the pedals to go from song to song then press play, but I am sure something similar can be had for a module (although the displays do not look as easy to read)

Thanx again guys I am slooooooowly starting to get a grasp on this vintage technology...I should have started 20 years ago I may just understand it by now.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Man your rig has me scratching my head. Urhm!? midi is just data - not sound - so unless the controller or module have sequencing features, they’ll be no more use to you than carrots.
Sorry. No, Jerm. I’m not selling you the sampler idea - you’ll be spot-on with the proteus (sound and reliability wise). But, if like me, you enjoy building sounds from scratch, then they’re great. Also the s3000 was the box that Akai remembered to put a useable sampler into. But as far as I can recall, there isn’t a pc editor for them.

It’s phrases like “building sounds from scratch” that make me glad I play guitar, and why I only use presets on most synths and such. :laugh:

Quote: (TonyR @ Mar. 28 2010, 3:24 AM)

Man your rig has me scratching my head. Urhm!? midi is just data - not sound - so unless the controller or module have sequencing features, they'll be no more use to you than carrots.
Sorry. No, Jerm. I'm not selling you the sampler idea - you'll be spot-on with the proteus (sound
and reliability wise). But, if like me, you enjoy building sounds from scratch, then they're great. Also the s3000 was the box that Akai remembered to put a useable sampler into. But as far as I can recall, there isn't a pc editor for them.

well that certainly is a unique gift you have there, enjoying building sounds.....I have done it (on old keyboards that sample) when I was into industrial music but I cannot honestly say I ever enjoyed it, simply done out of necessity when I had a sound in my head for a particular that was not available.

Once I took a tobacco can with some pennies in it and shook it to create a sound similar to the local steel plant shechers, with a bit o reverb and long delay to fit the tempo of the song.

Man your rig has me scratching my head. Urhm!? midi is just data - not sound - so unless the controller or module have sequencing features, they'll be no more use to you than carrots.
Now you got me scratching my head, as previously explained the GNX4 does the sequencing.....(well the midi file is made on the computer and dumped into it)
so the module and controller theoretically can simple be used as a piano until I learn more about them....to me that is at least as useful as a carrot (although that could be argued in favor of the carrot since it sustains life)
But from what you are saying you can sequence songs in one or the other....which makes me wonder why you cannot simply dump a midi file that is already sequenced into one of them? the AXION 25 brags a USB connection....so that is what I thought I would dump a pre-sequenced midi file into....which then would send the signals to play say BAss and drums to the other devices (the drums to the GNX4 and the bass to the module.

IS THERE SOMETHING I AM MISSING IN THIS!!!! not yelling just raising my voice to myself.... :angry:

keep shinin

Foriegn, I might be, deaf, I am going. :laugh:
Soz, Jerm. I’m still trying to cross ref’ your gear.

Quote: (TonyR @ Mar. 28 2010, 2:30 PM)

Foriegn, I might be, deaf, I am going. :laugh:
Soz, Jerm. I'm still trying to cross ref' your gear.

Well my set up is REAL simple....right now, and I do appreciate you bearing with me.

Everything is on one channel for now "channel ten" (I am told by forum members at Guitarstation that the GNX4 will transmit other channels) but so far no luck with that, so Channel 10 it is.

What I end up doing is proramming each device's presets to work with each song and receive data from channel 10.
So if I am using patch 33 for example on the GNX4 (program change 33 which is actually 32 in the vents list since 0 is a number) then I program the preset for vocals in the Digitech S100 numbered "33" to work with that song, making sure it fits into the mix.
I also make sure 33 on the LA Multigate (vocal channel) is set to something that works if it is going to be used.
I also make changes during the song so my guitar sound changes from rhythm to lead tone/amp this would be another # like 65, which I then have to make sure the S100 setting for preset 65 also fits the song as well in the event there is singing as well as the LA multigate (which I can also mute so that there is less chance of feedback from the mic as the singing stops and lead kicks in)

You would be hard pressed to find any information on the LA Multigate online it is manufactured in the U.K and is an older model no longer on their site, here is the manual their support was kind enough to send me if you are interested in exploring it.

Mulitgate Manual

page 15 and 53 hold most of the midi implementation info.

I am trying to get the GNX4 to transmit signals on channels other than 10 today, will let you know how that works, I have some sort of utility issue going on with the device like Midi merge or something that is taking all different tracks and channels and making them ONE when I bring the files back into the computer..... :disagree:

keep shinin

Gotcha - I think?
D’you know what? I can’t, now, see why you’d need to complicate your rig anymore. Not if your just gonna use the controller and module to play along with a piano or whatever. Doddle.

Quote: (TonyR @ Mar. 28 2010, 3:11 PM)

Gotcha - I think?
D'you know what? I can't, now, see why you'd need to complicate your rig anymore. Not if your just gonna use the controller and module to play along with a piano or whatever. Doddle.

Certainly right, the last thing I want to do is make it MORE complicated! lol I got my hands full with this.

I did however need the answers to a few questions which I believe a got, the main thing being that I can send signals to the synth module that will changes the patches hands free piano that sort of thing, I just want to be able to cue the song walk over to the mini 25 key midi controller and play a quick rhodes lead than go back to guitar, or start a song out with piano then switch to guitar.

I am actually looking at a KURZWEIL MICROPIANO since it is a half rack and gets good reviews as far as the sounds that I will be using, so it will take up even less space in my racks, I happen to have an open half rack space just sitting there next to the Joe MEEK VC3Q that is calling out for something in the night!

It is saying Jeeeeeeeeeeeremy........put something in meeeeeeeeee...oh wait that was my wife, or was it? better just fill them BOTH to be on the safe side.

keep shinin

Channel 10 is the percussion sound channel when doing General MIDI. Eash different sound must be on a different channel.

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/gm.php

Aye, phoo. Jerm is using his main midi set-up for prog swaps in a live set and is getting into using a seperate midi instrument rig to play along with.
I’ve been trying to find him a compact, reasonably priced, controllerboard that has an on-board sequencer so that he can complicate his life just a tad?

Tony Got it, I am not transmitting any signals that will trigger “sounds” of any kind to any of these devices (yet).
Channel ten just happens to be the channel my GNX4 is playing it’s drum files on so the rest of the data is piggy backed on that track, mainly since, well, it’s the ONLY midi track in each song.
To clarify this is backing track stuff, bass and drums, the bass is a wav. file that is synced to the midi drum track and played out of the GNX4.
And what I am wanting to do is use a M AUDIO AXIOM 25 to control a KURZWEIL MICROPIANO for a few intro keys and rhodes fills here and there. (completely separate from the Midi drum track (with the exception of patch changes that hopefully will be sent to the module via the GNX4 chain)

keep shinin

So what about it, Jerm? Why not find an alternative to the AXION that has sequencabilities so that you can build your satalite-playalong-rack with whatever modules (or samplers;-) you fancy but, as you become more familiar, at the nudge of a key, link into your main rig?

Quote: (TonyR @ Mar. 29 2010, 5:04 PM)

So what about it, Jerm? Why not find an alternative to the AXION that has sequencabilities so that you can build your satalite-playalong-rack with whatever modules (or samplers;-) you fancy
but, as you become more familiar, at the nudge of a key, link into your main rig?

I certainly will as the budget get's bigger, make sure to let me know some of the names when you get them!

For now I am a weeeeeeeeeener!

M-audio Axiom 25

$52 bucks including shipping.

Now off to scoop a module! gonna keep this project under $100 quid for now.

I spent less on that controller than I did on cables.

keep shinin

Ps…yes I do want to avoid looking like that crazy keyboard guy behind the 9-10 keyboards/controllers with the striped jacket! lol ???

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Mar. 29 2010, 7:21 PM)

Ps....yes I do want to avoid looking like that crazy keyboard guy behind the 9-10 keyboards/controllers with the striped jacket! lol
???

keep shinin

No, you don't, that guy is cool. :agree:

I’ve cracked it, Jerm.
What about one o’ these hybrid, guit/keys/controller/robot/gizmos?

How far away are you from the Z.Vex Fuzz Factory?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Bellamy

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/dance_dj/kp3/dj_kp3.asp

Sounds neat!

I have looked at a few Guitars that are midi controllers.
:agree:

Baby steps…onto the boat. :agree:

keep shinin

Quote: (TomS @ Mar. 29 2010, 7:50 PM)

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Mar. 29 2010, 7:21 PM)

Ps....yes I do want to avoid looking like that crazy keyboard guy behind the 9-10 keyboards/controllers with the striped jacket! lol
???

keep shinin

No, you don't, that guy is cool. :agree:

Well I got the Roland JV-1010 so I will be looking a bit like a mad midi scientist soon!

Or Quasimodo hunched over the Axiom as I go BACK to the FUTURE!
???

keep shinin