more questions

last retouches

I would like to understand whether to improve the final result of the song without too pretensions
(there are the engineers of the sound for this…)
I don’t want to deepen too much the technical aspects, only that that enough for one
home recorded song…
well, I have the mixdown song and I need your suggestion about:
- if the song it’s a little bit disturbed (clip) what should I do…just
to decrease the volume or just use the “normalize” function?
which is the best method?
- which effect to the final track? I have choose compress (soft knee) and
reveberber but normally what the most common effects are for the whole song?
What about EQ, I would like just to equalize a little bit the EQ’s treble, middle
and bass… the rest I think it’s too much technical for me.
- what about the analyser of the signal… ?? this is also too much complicated,
isn’t it?
- how to use different effect (not only n-track reverber and so on…)
I have downloaded a file with soundfonts… how to use with n-track (vst?!?)?

and two simple questions for the recording:
-as I start a song I’d like 5 sec of intro metronome (just playback, not to record)
-how to use the “grid” function with a MIDI song…

Well, I know there are many discussion on this forum about these matters
but I would like to read your suggestions…and the way you use the program

if I understand how to manage n-track without too many technical things
it would be a big help for me… just for home recording
thanks in advance for the helps
:slight_smile:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I play the track through with the VU’s set to “anticpate level” or whatever that setting is, and then reduce or increase the master volume so that the highest peak is just under 0. Eg, if it peaks at +1.2db, I’ll reduce the master by 1.3…

<!–QuoteBegin>
which effect to the final track? I have choose compress (soft knee) and
What about EQ, I would like just to equalize a little bit the EQ’s treble, middle

I personally try not to use reverb on the master mix, but I do a lot of rock and I’m not a HUGE fan of the Van Halen-at-the-end-of-a-tube sound. Some sparser mixes might benefit from it… and maybe some of the otehrs here have had more luck with it.

A good simple final mastering compressor to start learning this stuff with is Endorphin from Digitalfishphones. It’s got a two band eq and compressor, and won’t let the mix go over -0.2db if it’s on the master insert.

Hey alpinky,

Keep things as simple as you can for a while. Record, write and arrange your tunes. Keep your levels below 0dB, use compression only if you have a dynamics (too loud, then too soft) issue. Get some succes doing simple things- you’ll end up getting a handle on the basic operations and the new stuff will be less daunting.

When you’re getting into this, do things that build your confidence! Avoid frustration until you’re feeling good and cocky… :D

maybe you’re right sloom, I’ve tried also to use “endorphin” plug-in compressor but it seems that it’s too difficult for me to understand how to use it correctly… (besides it is difficult to understand technical terms in a foreign language)
so maybe I will use just simple things as the standard soft-knee compressor of the program or something like this…

Quote (alpinky @ Oct. 17 2005,07:42)
I would like to understand whether to improve the final result of the song without too pretensions
(there are the engineers of the sound for this…)
I don’t want to deepen too much the technical aspects, only that that enough for one
home recorded song…
well, I have the mixdown song and I need your suggestion about:
- which effect to the final track? I have choose compress (soft knee) and
- what about the analyser of the signal… ?? this is also too much complicated,
isn’t it?
- how to use different effect (not only n-track reverber and so on…)
I have downloaded a file with soundfonts… how to use with n-track (vst?!?)?

and two simple questions for the recording:
-as I start a song I’d like 5 sec of intro metronome (just playback, not to record)
-how to use the “grid” function with a MIDI song…

Well, I know there are many discussion on this forum about these matters
but I would like to read your suggestions…and the way you use the program

if I understand how to manage n-track without too many technical things
it would be a big help for me… just for home recording
thanks in advance for the helps

Keep your tracks peaking no more then -1 on the meter. You can normalize afterwards.

To “finalizing” a track is more a mastering thing. During the mix you think of the song as individual parts fitting in with each other. During mastering you think of aspects of the whole song that need fixing or tweaking. Generally, in the most basic form, some soft knee compressing, a bit of eq, maybe some exciting, a little stereo widening if it sounds quite mono, and if your mixes always sound a tad flat like mine, a little bit of reverb (nice large hall reverb is what I use), then finally a tad bit of limiting… or if you are doing a rock song a tad bit more then just a tad bit of limiting.

Thats how I do things anyway.

Soundfonts arent effects… they are audio fonts similar to a font in MS Word… if you get a sound font VSTi you can use them with a midi keyboard.

For me, I always make a click track… and I add four bars count in at the beginning, using single drum hits on each quater note.

The great thing about Ntrack is you can get it going without having to know much… and down the track you learn so much that a new world opens and Ntrack becomes godsend.
Quote (Dyers @ Oct. 19 2005,02:52)

...The great thing about Ntrack is you can get it going without having to know much.. and down the track you learn so much that a new world opens and Ntrack becomes godsend.

Oooohhhhhhh... :D

Hah-hah! True- at least about the not having to know much part!