More setting help

asio

Hi,
With my presonus firebox, should i be using “asio” or: for
Playback: WDM: firebox out main 1/2…
Recording: WDM firebox mic/inst 1/2 ??
No playback sound from new track recorded.
thx,
Lou

I would use ASIO for everything…

not that it gives you a choice, if you use it for one, you got to use it for ALL.

dontcare :cool:

Either one will actually work. Asio is presumed to be faster, less latency. However, I switch back and forth to Sound Forge and WMD allows that whereas Asio ties to the first program that uses it. That is, ASIO limits you to one program at. Time. I have also found that different setups may work better with one or the other.
Bax

&$;:))(?(/ auto correct. WDM Not WMD!

Hi Bax,
I have opened the mixer and saw the track fader, but no sound from the recored wav file.
I have an imported stereo backing track that’s on track 1 that plays back fine, but my recorded guitar on track 2 has no sound…
…any ideas?

thx,
Lou

OK, I’ve reset my asio settings to WDM… track to with recorded guitar still dead… there is a wav file, but no sound or track output reading…
I’ve tried all i can think of Clicking every button and nothing.
Weird. the track is right there, but no playback.
Ideas?

Is the guitar record to a wav file?

yes, the guitar is on track 2 and is a wav file. I see it, but no sound. weird…any clues?

Check these settings in the left hand track box:
is the track routed to an AUX channel? It should be showing the same out as the track you can hear.
Is the Icon that looks like a speaker selected ( should not have color - just black/gray)
Is your speaker system working to play stereo, or two channels? Are you using the computer sound card?
Check in Windows Control panel and see what is selected for the output.

Quote: (bax3 @ Feb. 13 2013, 2:15 PM)

Check these settings in the left hand track box:

is the track routed to an AUX channel? It should be showing the same out as the track you can hear.
Is the Icon that looks like a speaker selected ( should not have color - just black/gray)
Is your speaker system working to play stereo, or two channels?
Are you using the computer sound card?
Check in Windows Control panel and see what is selected for the output.

You've probably covered it there, Bax. I too was wondering about his output routing.
Another thought that sprang to mind re Lou321's ASIO issue was that I recently bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface to use with my Lappy as a mobile sketchpad (the preamps are so good that I'm now using it with my main daw)

My point is that when I can't use the "Focusrite ASIO USB driver" selection in the "Audio Devices" - it just messes-up in all sorts of ways. I have to use the "Focusrite USB 2.0 driver. This can be proved by checking only the "show asio drivers" box in the advanced audio devices prop's. Just a thought.

It might also be worth restoring n-T's defaults - just to shake out any lost settings.

Hi Bax, Thanks for your assistance. Here’s what I see:
First weird thing was, when i recorded my guitar to track 2, there was no input fader to adjust my guitar volume. Where is it? Even on the track mixer there is no input volume. Why are there icons for solo, mute, etc with no volume fader for that track? Crazy! ( track 1 is an imported stereo backing track i want to play to, which sounds fine) Yes, the speaker is grey. I see all settings are “presonus firebox main out 1/2” …I see Aux 1 for the backing track 1 but not for the guitar track 2. The outs are the same for both tracks. Control panel, firebox mixer all I can think of are set correctly.
I’m going to try to record a new track…but where’s the input volume fader?
thx, Lou

Try moving the track up to we’re the track that plays. I think you might want to go through the tutorial for ntrack There may be something there that we are missing. The input level is not controlled with ntrack. You set the input volume in the sound interface(card/box).

if you don’t mind me asking,

what is the frequency and bit rate of the backing track you imported?

you can find this by right clicking the wav. file and clicking properties.

the reason I ask is Firebox default is 24-Bit/96k, and it’s possible the imported one is something different, eg. 16bit/44k this would cause similar symptoms.

I don’t really know about the Aux channels, and why one track is routed to it and not the other, in 10 years haven’t had to use Aux just to record and playback.

dontcare
:cool:

Finally got my new channel playback happening.
Fooled around with the device options and made a change to a different set of ins and outs.
thx everyone!