More Terratec Fun

Setting up trouble

Allright, everybody… (How are ye?..)

I realize this is getting tedious, and if something good happens I’ll just hold my water this time until I know it’s panning out! But the upshot is that I’m getting sketchy performance out of this soundcard. >Is it XP, a newer OS on an older piece of hardware?< Let’s see if any of you can tell:
A guy who read my posts on this forum e-mailed me, and I wrote him back. Here’s the synapsis, starting with a bit of the letter from this fellow Jeff:

“…I just recently upgraded my OS to windows XP, and immediately started
having trouble with the Phase 88 control panel. It refuses to retain any
of the settings on the sliders and, the db and stereo gang buttons that
I make to them. Downloading the latest driver hasn’t helped (it’s kind
of frustrating, but I’m still functioning)…

…I find the Digital Mixer “Wave” and “Input” control panels are useless.
I’ve made adjustments to them and have not heard any effect on my audio.”…

My reply to his letter…

"…Jeff,

Thanks for the note.

“…Your trouble with XP is interesting: I’m using XP, and am also apparently having some issues. A big one is that I can’t as yet get sound out of any other apps, including Cool Edit Pro 2, or a free app (drum machine thing) called Hammerhead. n-Track seems to be fine, but all this is a bother,…”

"…I can’t use any other setting with the Terratec in n-Track beside ASIO. If I try anything else (WDM,…) a window pops up and indicates an error. XP?.. But I have no problem with ASIO."

More from my end of the conversation:

"Jeff,

Just a follow-up, since you are having issues also…
I started up Cool Edit Pro, and loaded in a session (originally done on Cool Edit Pro), and got sound. Fine, relief!
I then went to n-Track, got sound… back to Cool Edit, and no more sound! Digging in to the Control Panel yields nothing… If the problem’s XP, well I don’t know if I want to go back to 98SE, or back-step at all- I don’t see doing that, as most of my other tools are fit for XP. Could it be the VIA Kt-600 chipset?"

So that’s the deal now. No sound from anything except n-Track, and I’ve rifled the settings in CEP.

Hey Vanclan, you’re my man- what you got, brah?! (Gawd, S-l-o-o-m, that spells “Pariah”! :)

Hi Sloom and Jeff and All:
IT becomes so frustrating to navigate into another operating system, only to find that no drivers exist for the operating system/systems for either desk… I thought I was gonna be fine with XP as a Desk, only to find that some things don’t work in XP and then to discover that other things don’t work with '98SE and some things don’t work with either Desk…

Today, I’m attempting to install a DVD Burner on these machines… It installs just fine into some and not into other machines… Mabey, I’m asking to much to have all this stuff working flawlessly in all instances… ??? :O

Bill…

So, what are you trying to say, Bill?.. :laugh: No! I know what you’re saying. I’m saying it too, man. And… it takes a little more knowledge than I actually have to be going in to this kind of configuring at this level.

I’ve announced to the wife today that I’m going to have to go out and spend some bread on a new I/O interface in light of all this. I see no reason to go back to an earlier OS, but- and a new upshot: I find myself strapped-in to the agenda of large manufacturing corporations, making me trot to keep up with the “technology” as it moves along. Upgrade=marketing ploy, and one that works pretty flawlessly. The upgrade affects a whole chain of components and aspects of your scene. Bummer that the people who make these decisions won’t decide to build stability across a broad range of operating systems and formats.
Once this thing works the way I need it to, this is over.

For now… :;):

Here we go. At least I’ll be back working at this as I should be.

Hey Sloom, I just saw your PM and responded. I’m having no problems with the Phase88 with XP. But I did have problems before. The best way to do this is to completely removed both the drivers and the Phase88 control panel and install the newest drivers, then the Phase88 control panel. Your friend may have tried to upgrade the drivers, instead of completely removing first, then reinstalling. I did that not too long ago and learned the hard way.

Regarding the switch between Cool Edit Pro and n-Track giving problems, I did have that scenario at one time, then it cleared up. I probably rebooted to clear it up (but it’s been awhile - so the memory is foggy).

Hope that helps. Let me know.

Hi Sloom and All:
My setup consists of a number of outdated/ageing machines and hardware that I’m trying to milk along… With each new piece of software, I find my setup struggeling to to reach a threshold of satisfactory operating performance…

I recognize my pain… believe me… IT’s comming to a monumental decission time of delaying paying my utilities and taxes to the people who own me… or haveing TOYS to play with…

I just did my TAX RETURN… That was part of the money I hid so I could get a Flat Pannel Monitor Screen… and… Who Needs Heat…anyway??

What’s a guy TO-DO… anyway… ??? :O :)

Bill…

Quote (vanclan @ Feb. 25 2006,23:41)
Hey Sloom, I just saw your PM and responded. I’m having no problems with the Phase88 with XP. But I did have problems before. The best way to do this is to completely removed both the drivers and the Phase88 control panel and install the newest drivers, then the Phase88 control panel. Your friend may have tried to upgrade the drivers, instead of completely removing first, then reinstalling. I did that not too long ago and learned the hard way.

Regarding the switch between Cool Edit Pro and n-Track giving problems, I did have that scenario at one time, then it cleared up. I probably rebooted to clear it up (but it’s been awhile - so the memory is foggy).

Hope that helps. Let me know.

You mean you hit the Restart button, and no more issues? Or are you talking about a major re-boot of XP? Now that would be more fun than making a trip to Guitar Center on the way to band rehearsal…

By the way, I sent my buddy Jeff the newest link to the EWS (Phase88) drivers from you, Van. Thanks.

Bill: Get the toys! :D I know…

Hi Sloom:
I’ll accept your advice… O.K. I’ll get the TOYS… as the loonies pile up… again… I’ll forget paying for the the heating fuel, I’ll wear a heavier sweater… and put my mittens on… I’ll send you my property tax invoice… :p My Dial-up and Server charges… They’re cheap… Can I get away with that? I’ll say Sloom said … So… :p I would liked to have won that PowerBall Draw last week in the USA… What a pile of GreenBacks, that was… Had I have won all that, I think I could have survived a year on IT… money being what it … is…

My working partner tells me many times… He has yet to see a hurse towing a U-Haul, loaded with money… In other words… ya can’t take IT with ya… :O

Bill…

No just a simple restart was all it took (if my memory serves me).