More than 8 stereo pairs?

Ran into a bit of a problem!

Hi,

I sent this to Flavio as well tonight, but thought someone here might know the answer.

I’m trying to record band’s live. It’s amazing how fast you can chew up your inputs!

I have TWO Presouns Firepod’s and ONE WamiRack 192X. Each Firepod has 4 stereo pair on the front panel and one S/PDIF pair on the back side for 10 inputs. The Wami has (edit) two stereo pair on the breakout box, and S/PDIF on the PCI card (never used the S/PDIF though). (BTW, here is a recording I did with Ntrack… I hadn’t ironed out the pops and clicks by then. Turns out it may have been the laptop I was using did not have TI chipsets for firewire which seems pretty essential for the Firepod’s: http://box70.bluehost.com/~tallpa…ip.wma) The band’s name is Nightfall, their music is a nightfallmusic.net.

Anyway, there are a couple of problems:
1. If I have a single Firepod hooked up, I can control all 5 of it’s stereo pairs, ie, I see all five pairs in Recording Viewmeter and in Select I/O Channels. If I hook up the second Firepod, I only see 8 of the stereo pairs in both the Recording viewmeter and in the “Select I/O Channels” This means I can’t control those last two stereo pairs. Ughhhh.

2. I also have a WamiRack 192X PCI card in the same PC. I want to use the Asio drivers for the Firepod’s, but I also want to be able to record and/or playback using the WamiRack 192X… but you can’t select two Asio drivers at the same time from two different sound cards. (The Firepod combo is treated as one sound card together) So is there no way I can use the Firepod’s and the Wami at the same time?

Anyone have any insight for me?

Thanks,

Paul

umm, if you have two firepods connected doesn’t that automatically assume your S/PDIF is used up syncing the two together? according to presonus that’s what happens. so you will only have 16 channels and not 20.

as for the combo of cards with ASIO I don’t think there’s a way around it other than selecting maybe WDM or something. not sure if that’ll even work.

If I understand it, he should get 18, because he should be able to use the S/PDIF for a stereo channel. But perhaps for some silly reason Firepod doesn’t allow that. In any case it’s critical to sync the two cards.

BTW, when recording a band, I’d think it would make more sense to record individual tracks rather than recording stereo pairs, for most channels anyway.

<!–QuoteBegin>

BTW, when recording a band, I’d think it would make more sense to record individual tracks rather than recording stereo pairs, for most channels anyway.

I don’t think that’s really the issue - the inputs show up as stereo pairs in the vu’s regardless of whether you’re using stereo->two mono or not.
<!–QuoteBegin>
So is there no way I can use the Firepod’s and the Wami at the same time?
like someone else said, select ASIo for the firepods and WDM (or even MME) for the wami.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the postings, I wasn’t getting any notifications in my email so I just checked in.

Each Firepod has 5 “pairs” (the eight XLR / 1/4" combo jacks in the front being the first 4 pair, and the S/PDIF being the last pair (for example, you can use two Eureka’s through the (extra) AD192 card and each Eureka would be one side of the pair)). That’s how you see them in the Recording Viewmeter, whether you want a single stereo or two mono takes. That all works fine as long as there is only one Firepod. As soon as I fire up the second Firepod, instead of getting 10 pairs, I only get 8. And I can’t address the 4’th XLR/1/4" nor the S/PDIF on the last Firepod. It looks like a screen real estate issue in both the REcording Viewmeter and the “Select I/O Channels” windows, like Flavio didn’t anticipate someone having that many inputs.

I have tried to use Asio on the Firepod, and MME/WDM/Asio on the Wami. No good. The error I get is "Asio and MME or Direct Sound devices can’t be used simultaneously. A single Asio input and output driver can be selected, and the input and output driver must be relative to the same soundcard."

Jeff, thanks as always for the advice. I do record individual tracks instead of stereo pairs… I might be using the wrong nomenclature above.

"umm, if you have two firepods connected doesn’t that automatically assume your S/PDIF is used up syncing the two together? according to presonus that’s what happens. so you will only have 16 channels and not 20."
Hmmm, I had thought of that but didn’t give it much consideration. The syncing between the two Firepods occurs over the firewire connection. I can have the two Firepod’s connected and sync’d without using the S/PDIF at all on either box. I’ll talk with the Presonus tech people and get back with everyone on how many pairs I SHOULD be seeing using two Firepod’s together.

Paul

I remember reading not long ago that the syncing was done with the S/PDIF. they may have changed the drivers though to allow for more than 2 firepods, and I don’t see that particular statement on their website any longer. I do know that it USED to be that way. Are you perhaps using some of the older drivers?

Perhaps the firepods ARE using the S/PDIF channels to sync, but through the firewire. In that case they wouldn’t have to be physically synced but you lose the capability to use them. Sort of like my Echo Layla 24/96. As soon as you start using the ADAT the S/PDIF is not an option any more.

I’m almost positive you lose your S/PDIF with multiple units. Even their recent explanation on how to hook up 3 firepods only yeilds 24 inputs, which means only 8 per pod.