most stable version of 4.0?

and how do u guys upgrade?

So I am using one of the first versions of 4.0… and I am thinking about upgrading to a newer version so I can make use of the new Freeze functions. How do you guys upgrade n-track? Do you just install the new version over the old? Or do you uninstall the old first, then install the new? I want to make sure I don’t screw anything up…

I have always installed over upgrades to the same version.

Just double click the file you download. The installer will uninstall your old V4 and install the new. Your VST’s, project files etc… will remain untouched.

Works like a champ for me. I played around with 1772 all weekend (RAIN…) and it works great.

TG

PS I see Flav has put up Build 1774. He is cranking out the code man!

I just made the jump to 4.x this weekend from 3.3 and I am quite happy. It runs a whole lot smoother than 3.3 and there is a lot of stability improvements. Between the P4 fixes and stuck VSTi note fix, it is swell! I am having some problems opening old sng files in 4.0.4 and having all the effects load properly as well as some PowerFX weirdness, but Flavio is already on the job with these. Otherwise, for new projects, I am psyched.

Hey Bubba, I STILL can’t get the PowerFX to work properly on my system with n-Track. They are even a little flaky with Cubase VST as well. I’m kinda waiting to see what EMU coughs up in driver improvements, so I have not yammered much about it to Flavio.

Do they work at all for you?

TG

I get stuttering. Flavio e-mailed me today saying there were a few bugs he found and plans to iron them out in the near future. EMU has a version 1.71 driver out, but not for mass distribution yet. I wonder what it will bring?

Quote (Bubbagump @ Feb. 21 2005,11:22)
I get stuttering. Flavio e-mailed me today saying there were a few bugs he found and plans to iron them out in the near future. EMU has a version 1.71 driver out, but not for mass distribution yet. I wonder what it will bring?

Stuttering? Yep same here. EMU V1.71 did not fix anything that I was having problems with, i.e. PowerFX. They released 1.71 becuase of adding 192khz support to the 0404 card AND to fix a volume control bug on some systems with Windows Media Player and maybe Winamp.

You can try 1.71 if you want it's easy to uninstall 1.60 and install 1.71 and vice-versa. I even wiped my hard disk (PITA!) to see if some unknown crap I had installed was fubar'ing PowerFX. Even with fresh XP, EMU, n-Track, all tweaks, and nothing else...I still get flaky stuttering with PFX. No biggie really but it will be nice to have when the bugs are squashed.

TG

PS Flav if you read this...I am hanging in there man! I have faith in you bro'!
Quote (geekformayor @ Feb. 21 2005,09:20)
So I am using one of the first versions of 4.0.. and I am thinking about upgrading to a newer version so I can make use of the new Freeze functions. How do you guys upgrade n-track? Do you just install the new version over the old? Or do you uninstall the old first, then install the new? I want to make sure I don't screw anything up..

The most stable version of 4 is build 1769 for wav runners, probably 1774 for midi geeks. Just kidding, prob 1774 for everyone. I think the turn for the better came with build 1769.

I did a couple of good sessions over the last week on 4.04 (1772 and a couple of builds before that).

All was well with one or two exceptions (which are due, I think, possibly to PC problems - Explorer crashed twice in 4 days. That ain’t right).

The couple of bugs I did report were fixed quickly (thanks Flavio).

A couple of things I have noticed which I’ve not really had time to investigate… [EDIT: Ok three things]

1. I had two parts of a track joined with a purple circle. I dragged the start of the left-most track part towards the join to silence part of the track. I ended up dragging the start right up to the purple circle. After that, my song wouldn’t play. Dragged it back out and all was well.

2. Is it just me, or does offline mixdown seem to default to a time region rather than the whole song? It keeps catching me out. Perhaps its the last highlighted area I used?

3. I managed to create a 78Mb song file (I wondered why saving had started to get slow!). Three audio tracks, one midi track and two VSTis. Was in a hurry so just recreated the song instead of trying to sort it out.

So far I’ve recorded from MIDI and Audio (only two simultaneous tracks so far), used VST and VSTi’s, and used Rewire to connect to a FL project. All successful.

There’s no changes listed for 1774. Anyone got any inside knowledge?

Mark

The changes are listed now.

1774 was for the memory corruption I had reported. Flavio listed it as causing a crash in explorer.exe, which it would sometimes, but it may also cause other odd and random problems…not any more. :)

1775 is up now.

All was well with one or two exceptions (which are due, I think, possibly to PC problems - Explorer crashed twice in 4 days. That ain't right).

1774 was for the memory corruption I had reported. Flavio listed it as causing a crash in explorer.exe, which it would sometimes, but it may also cause other odd and random problems....not any more

Aha!

Thanks Phoo